LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

What Can Be Done To Bring Traffic Back To The Site?

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2018, 12:18 PM   #46
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I keep an eye on it at SimilarWeb. The site is doing fine. Rankings and traffic are nearly back to pre-outage levels, but still below a year ago. Page views per visit appear to be, at the moment, greater than in the past year and the bounce rate, while still high, has stabilized. The site is now back ahead of its traditional closest competitors.
Don't doubt you data but anecdotally it feels like significantly fewer posters than pre-outage. There doesn't seem to be as many new threads or as much diversity in who posts. At times, appears to be the same two dozen people talking to each other...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 12:41 PM   #47
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Before the outage updated daily threads were running in the 100-125 range. Currently as of this post time I'm seeing 133 threads updated, 51 members logged in and a bit over 1K visitors. Spam is running similar to pre-outage, trending to a bit lighter. Average logged in members pre-outage was running 70-100 so that's still a bit down. I've been tracking new member threads, primarily because I was running across them more, to keep an eye out for trolling. About 3K members have registered since the outage, however from my tests in the past banned spammers are included in those numbers. We probably ban 20-40 spammers per day so maybe 750/mo. average.

IMO, a more up do date site with more modern member content options and controls will go a long way to growing the site. Something more mobile-friendly will likely help too.

At the end of May, with the site being back up a couple weeks, the monthly unique site visits were pretty tanked, at 357K/mo, compared to end of June at 858K/mo. That was similar to Feb 18 numbers, but down from a year ago.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 3:03 PM   #48
Established Member

Quote:
Before the outage updated daily threads were running in the 100-125 range. Currently as of this post time I'm seeing 133 threads updated, 51 members logged in and a bit over 1K visitors. Spam is running similar to pre-outage, trending to a bit lighter. Average logged in members pre-outage was running 70-100 so that's still a bit down.
Thanks for the info. What seems different than before is the same small pool of members, myself included, are doing the updating. Perhaps we're motivated out of some sense of loyalty to the site.

Quote:
I've been tracking new member threads, primarily because I was running across them more, to keep an eye out for trolling.
There also seems an uptick (which you've noted), in "one and done" drive-by OP's that don't return or follow-up. Doesn't seem like spam, hard to understand why someone would take the time to tell their story and then disappear...

Mr. Lucky
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 3:30 PM   #49
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I'll do some member matrix samples and get back with that. My sense is that there's a core group of regulars who returned and that's the current bulk of logged-in members. The rest will take time, likely a lot of time, to recover. I'll know more once referral data gets rebuilt.

In reading Paul's comments so far, he doesn't seem overly concerned with growth/traffic, mostly focused on the site replacement. I've linked this thread in at least one of the threads we have running to give him feedback so keep comments on improvement ideas coming.

ETA, took a snapshot of current logins and recognize about 20 of 47 member names as 'regulars'.

Last edited by William; 23rd July 2018 at 3:34 PM..
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 7:09 PM   #50
Established Member

Sorry to ask the obvious here but when can we expect to see the ''new'' site? In about 2 - 4 - 6 months? I actually can't wait.

We need a newer, smoother outlet.
Shanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 7:46 PM   #51
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanex View Post
Sorry to ask the obvious here but when can we expect to see the ''new'' site? In about 2 - 4 - 6 months? I actually can't wait.

We need a newer, smoother outlet.

Paul hasn't shared any sort of timeline with us but he has been logging in regularly and has said that the new version of LS is his priority.

Keep in mind that just migrating the existing site shut us down for quite some time so I'm sure he will be taking his time to make sure he has all his I's dotted and T's crossed before going public with what he is working on behind the scenes.
Tristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 12:06 PM   #52
Established Member

Bumping this thread for a valid reason hopefully:

While us users and even the mods cannot log into the vBulletin site specific stats, there are stats available for everyone on the Internet over at Alexa:

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/loveshack.org

According to this graph; we have steadily been back (almost) to the site traffic before the crash six months ago but we can do better. Biggest contingent of posters are in this order and unsurprisingly 1, The US. 2, The UK and 3, Canada.

Iíd have expected more OZ and NZ posters though considering our (regular) membership and audience.

We can do better but we are getting at it.

Iím sure Paul is still working on the revamp of LS. Maybe when we move over to the new platform some will be generous enough to give some extra $Ä£ for the site.
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:22 AM   #53
Established Member

This site is clearly overmoderated as well as over run with spam which indicates lack of software updates and support.

I've been here a day and that's probably enough from what I've experienced and I'm sure I'm not the only one put off by the way this place is poorly managed.
Mardelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:02 AM   #54
Established Member

Forum traffic

Seems like it's tapering off lately. Been on here on and off since 2013. If I remember right, just a year or two ago there were more people here?
wed4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:05 AM   #55
Established Member

Read this where we are trying to find a solution while waiting for Paul (LS owner) to move from vBulletin to a better platforms:

https://www.loveshack.org/forums/gen...ffic-back-site
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:15 AM   #56
Established Member

Paul knows better than anyone and he's good with things as they are. He made some changes after the site outage and the results are what is now. Unique visits are trending back up to a million a month and page views per visit are up though the bounce rate is still high IMO. Being off the internet for over a month hurt, bad, so it'll take time to recover exposure. New members are what it's all about growing the stats. Those who hang around, hang around and the outage was simply a blip. It's the search engine/referrals/placement/ranking matrix that's critical to bringing in new members to seek input and hang around themselves. Things should be back to normal by the time the new software comes online and my bet is the new look and features will accelerate the growth, presuming the forum format continues to be valued on the internet, which is rapidly changing.
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:41 AM   #57
Established Member

Did they have like a month or two down-age? That explains the low traffic.
CaliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:45 AM   #58
Established Member

Here's a comparison between the time the OP joined in 2013 and now:

https://web.archive.org/web/20131224...org:80/forums/

Currently Active Users: 1202 (142 members and 1060 guests)
Threads: 382,921, Posts: 4,668,847, Members: 347,284

Today:
Currently Active Users: 625 (47 members and 578 guests)
Threads: 521,384, Posts: 6,705,084, Members: 541,562

Three major changes have occurred from a member standpoint:

Paul eliminated the subscription system and a number of its perks. The details of that are covered more completely elsewhere.

Paul instituted stronger anti-spam measures. A lot of the members in the overall roster and 'guests' are spam bots. Those were much higher in the past.

Paul changed the 'like' system to opaque, a change which has, from feedback received, frustrated many members .

Still, since December 2013, thread count increased nearly 140,00, post volume by over 2 million and members by ~194,000, though I'd take that with a grain of salt since banned spammers are among them. In Dec 2013, the forum as far as stats were concerned, was about 10 years old.

Daily stats are still down, IMO, but they're cleaner, with fewer spammers and problem members. Thread counts are also still lagging but daily thread responses are approaching normal levels, meaning threads which get a response and are bumped up. Still, daily post volume remains down, compared to prior to the outage a few months ago. That indicates threads getting responses, but fewer responses, than prior.

Of course, Paul knows all this. He's really sharp on internet stuff and does some of the site coding himself. LS is where he wants it to be. That might not be where we want it to be. Private site, his deal, glad it's around for those who want/need it.
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2018, 4:22 PM   #59
Established Member

I have decided I like the "like" feature as is now. And that's because seeing my likes in a list prompts me to revisit and follow up on threads I participated in.

I think it may be kinder that each poster can't see who all likes a post that may be, for example, adverse to the original post, which can feel a little like being ganged up on.

The only downside is that you are curious if anyone else agrees with someone else's post and what kind of sidewinder could possibly align with them, but I think at the sacrifice of my own morbid entertainment, it promotes a more civilized and less polarized atmosphere, because everyone can't see who all is on this side or that side. In other words, it's less political this way.
Old 26th September 2018, 4:53 PM   #60
Established Member

Semi-agree, preraph. The other side of the coin is I sometimes like a post only to browse the thread again the next day and like it again (meaning retracting my like). Plus I donít always have the time to go browse my list of likes 4 times a day.

The other bad news and read from William in a different thread is that Paul vanished again?