LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

What Can Be Done To Bring Traffic Back To The Site?

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2018, 11:09 AM   #31
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolheadal View Post
Someone needs to put out the word that LS is back.
I have noticed the word being spread on some of the websites that members seemed to find after the outage but if you find a spot by all means get the message out.

Keep in mind that many forums like ours do not take kindly to people trying to steer members to other forums.

Another thought would be some of the sites that review forums like ours.

I had the opportunity to read through a few of these during the outage and while I believe that the vast majority of users here have a pleasant experience most of the review sites seem to be populated by a few spurned members with an axe to grind.

Members who have had a positive experience here and are willing to share that definitely couldn't hurt.
Tristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 11:12 AM   #32
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I keep an eye on it at SimilarWeb. The site is doing fine. Rankings and traffic are nearly back to pre-outage levels, but still below a year ago. Page views per visit appear to be, at the moment, greater than in the past year and the bounce rate, while still high, has stabilized. The site is now back ahead of its traditional closest competitors. Referral stats are still unavailable, not enough data yet, but I imagine Paul has those at the raw server level. Prior, TAM and ENA were the two biggest referrers.

For a site that still looks like ca 1990's basic HTML with no bells and whistles and fancy features and essentially zero images, LS does pretty good. Watching Paul work, it'll be better.

One thing I'm pushing for is, respecting many LS users access the forum from mobile devices, is a more mobile friendly 'skin' for the forum or a mobile app. In my experience, moderating the forum from a smartphone is horrible. That right there could bring more traffic, and more page views per visit, to the site. People's attention span these days moves at light speed and, if something appears clunky, bye bye.

Keep the input coming. We'll pass it on and I noticed from some of Paul's private comments he is reading these threads. Good sign!
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 3:38 PM   #33
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristian View Post
Another thought would be some of the sites that review forums like ours.

I had the opportunity to read through a few of these during the outage and while I believe that the vast majority of users here have a pleasant experience most of the review sites seem to be populated by a few spurned members with an axe to grind.
As soon as I learned that LS was down; I looked it up on Google and quickly read the piss-poor reviews from what I assume are disgruntled, previously banned members. How ironic that a few of them actually are still actively lurking the site while their IP subnet is banned and had a hard on when the site went down in March. The worst reviews were the day or the day after the site crash and after that some of us regulars are being told to ę get a life Ľ.

I donít know of any ways to get people to post here again; people who donít browse the site on a daily basis will eventually get back here someday. Mass-emails as discussed before are pricey and Paul seems to be working on a revamp of the site so his money has to be a priority for that instead IMO.

Canít wait for future fancy features TBH. Personally I am accustomed to the forum without gifs memes and other immature nonsense; but Paul runs the show.
Shanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 3:48 PM   #34
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

As a program note, only Paul can do anything even close to banning IP's and he hasn't been around, up until after the site returned, for years and to my knowledge has never banned an IP. We stay on the hydras and PBM's by brute force and real world research. However, all that can change in an instant. All Paul has to do is say 'stop' and they can all post here without our interaction. It's up to him. If he thinks that's a good way to grow the site, OK; it sure would cut down on moderation workload.
Old 15th July 2018, 12:11 PM   #35
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
As a program note, only Paul can do anything even close to banning IP's and he hasn't been around, up until after the site returned, for years and to my knowledge has never banned an IP. We stay on the hydras and PBM's by brute force and real world research. However, all that can change in an instant. All Paul has to do is say 'stop' and they can all post here without our interaction. It's up to him. If he thinks that's a good way to grow the site, OK; it sure would cut down on moderation workload.
I run my forums by banning the IP otherwise your going to have them come under different screen names or under different IP there's always away around blocking the IPs. I am sure this site as the same sort of tools I have access under Admin or owner. But this is your site so you need to keep it safe. Late at night I come on and see the pest here doing whatever they want. Until Mod comes here to block they are running wild.
Age doesn't matter, but Love does matter! Which love it's the magical one "I love you" also I am in love with you" More powerful than anyone age! If you really love that person you are so interested in you would move heavens and mountains to reach them!'
coolheadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018, 12:34 PM   #36
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Yes, I run my own site and forum and am familiar with the tools and use them to ban IP blocks of known spam. However, that power remains at the owner/administrator level, as it does here at LoveShack.org. The good news is, with Paul not banning IP's or IP blocks, new users or random users in general who happen to access from those IP's or IP blocks won't get denied access, so potentially could help grow the site. Yes, some bad apples get in the door too, and it is a headache for moderation and sure could deter some people from participating or cause them to close out the forum more quickly. It's a balance. I'm sure as owner for over 20 years, Paul is aware of that.

An interim/compromise measure could be such locations and addresses could be shunted to moderation upon post submission for our approval. To an extent, the software is already set up that way and interfaces with anti-spam servers. We could expand that. It wouldn't necessarily cut down access but could provide a cleaner appearance to members since they don't see what goes on in the background. More attractive can equal more interesting and, heck, I'll hang around longer and read or post. There are enough moderators now that moderated posts can be processed pretty quickly.
Old 18th July 2018, 11:08 AM   #37
Established Member

Well that's good he started back 1998, I've been on the internet since 1995 1 year after yahoo started. Prior to what we all have today BBS, then Prodigy, AOL , Internet back then.. We all can learn from each other just need to ask.
Have a great day!
coolheadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 11:10 AM   #38
Established Member

These are my positive suggestions to improve the site:

Change the name of the site. "Loveshack.org" makes the place appear to be a hook-up site, which at least doesn't appear to be the case from what I've been able to discern, so far.

Improve the format so photos and videos can be easily posted.

If someone posts a serious topic involving a problem they need to resolve, prevent embittered, cynical, mysogynistic, or misanthropic members from responding with smartass one-liners. If other members don't want to at least try to make a positive contribution, then don't respond at all.

If these changes require funding, I'll be glad to make a reasonable financial contribution.
Old 18th July 2018, 12:57 PM   #39
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Thanks for the comments and feedback...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolheadal View Post
Well that's good he started back 1998, I've been on the internet since 1995 1 year after yahoo started. Prior to what we all have today BBS, then Prodigy, AOL , Internet back then.. We all can learn from each other just need to ask.
Have a great day!
Here's the first thread that remains in the archives, ca December 1997 and you can see it points to a community prior to what you now view as LoveShack.org.

https://www.loveshack.org/forums/gen...-loveshack-org

The old-timers here, some still posting which hail from that time, know a lot more about LoveShack's history than I do. One of our moderators knows a lot of details. For many years Paul posted regularly as a member. Unfortunately some personal stuff intruded from best I can tell. He wasn't around as much and other staff drifted off too. Then, for a long time, it was just Tony running things as best he could. That guy was dedicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlend View Post
These are my positive suggestions to improve the site:

Change the name of the site. "Loveshack.org" makes the place appear to be a hook-up site, which at least doesn't appear to be the case from what I've been able to discern, so far.
Based on what I've read, and the name recognition the site has on the internet, good, bad and indifferent, LoveShack.org will always be non-profit and will always have that name as long as it's around. Happy to be surprised. I was surprised when Paul resurrected the site. I figured it was gone for good.

Quote:
Improve the format so photos and videos can be easily posted.
Excellent suggestion and I believe Paul is looking at that. No details yet.

Quote:
If someone posts a serious topic involving a problem they need to resolve, prevent embittered, cynical, mysogynistic, or misanthropic members from responding with smartass one-liners. If other members don't want to at least try to make a positive contribution, then don't respond at all.
Much as we'd (moderation and I trust many members) like all responses to be reflective of Paul's vision for the site, it's a publicly accessible forum so anyone who registers can pretty much post anything except language that Paul's filters catch and bleep. Everything related to your suggestion happens afterwards.

The good news is, with Paul assigning five moderators, hopefully six in the future, the most that's been here in over a decade, more eyes are watching posts and reading reports. Reports are huge. Moderation views and acts on every one. You'll often see myself posting statements in threads based on reports. They're essential to both managing the forum as well as giving moderation feedback on the site.
Quote:
If these changes require funding, I'll be glad to make a reasonable financial contribution.
Thank you and Paul is working on this, as finances loomed large in the site going down, but he has told us it won't happen with the software currently live. He's apparently good with that so we'll go with it for now.
Old 18th July 2018, 4:38 PM   #40
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlend View Post
I agree some posts are over the top, moderation currently does a good job cleaning those up.

But there are some thread-starters that see any posts not agreeing with their choices or validating their beliefs as bitter, cynical and not "positive".

I'd rather LS erred on the side of open discussion...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 4:58 PM   #41
Established Member

I used to be a prolific poster here....

Between the lack of a properly functioning "like" button (I am surprised at home much an issue that is for me, but it is a big one, sometimes I just want to co-sign rather than post myself, and I like having my posts validated), and the lack of traffic....

I don't have much motivation to post here any more. I check in about once a week, seems like the same ol' tired stuff, and I move on.
Old 18th July 2018, 4:59 PM   #42
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
I'd rather LS erred on the side of open discussion...

Mr. Lucky
Yes, until Paul instructs us differently, we tend to err on the side of 'all viewpoints are equal' as long as they address the topic and respect other members.

When reading your post, an example came to mind immediately....

Why can't people be liked for who they are

I checked and I was the only moderator public in the thread, posting one directive way down the thread, due to a report, and three moderators touched the thread, deleting a total of 14 posts, some due to members being sanctioned, out of 466 currently posted. There's a lot of tough love in that thread, pretty typical here.

Something I have noticed, and actually keep track of in the staff area, is one-post new members who start threads. I follow up on nearly all of them, to see how new members are interacting, if they're interacting, and how new topics are treated by respondents, and what topics are reported.

New members who post and stay are the lifeblood of growing the site. Are all sincere? Nope! That's why I keep an eye on them. That kind of stuff, nuking spam, and posting in threads like this are my primary job now.

I think a real plus towards growth will be moving away from a text site to a more interactive site with embedded images and video content and a more multimedia experience. I hope Paul works that in as affordable.

Last edited by William; 18th July 2018 at 5:01 PM..
Old 18th July 2018, 5:32 PM   #43
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentChange View Post
I used to be a prolific poster here....

Between the lack of a properly functioning "like" button (I am surprised at home much an issue that is for me, but it is a big one, sometimes I just want to co-sign rather than post myself, and I like having my posts validated), and the lack of traffic....
Thanks for the feedback and there is a specific discussion of the like system here:

The LoveShack "Like" feature - pros/cons and opinion

I agree its current functionality can serve to detract from site growth and discourage members who were used to the old system. Hopefully, that will be a short-term problem if everything goes as Paul has laid out to us.

Quote:
I don't have much motivation to post here any more. I check in about once a week, seems like the same ol' tired stuff, and I move on.
Good point, and that's why new members are so important. I did some checking after your post and our typical logged in member number is still low, 51 as I post this, generally should be in the 70-100 range as before the outage, with total visitors ranging between 1000 and 1100.

However, I am encouraged by the daily non-spam thread count, now over 100 pretty consistently, pretty close to what occurred prior to the outage.

One change I noted elsewhere that could be affecting readership is how, once clicked on, threads disappear from the 'new posts' search results as well as in a member's visible 'new subscribed threads' area. Prior they appeared but the text was dim instead of bold, encouraging members to go back and re-read threads they may have visited prior. Now it's out of sight, out of mind and move on. We'll bring that up with Paul for the new software.
Old 18th July 2018, 7:35 PM   #44
Established Member

Why doesn't "Paul" ever post here?
Normm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 7:50 PM   #45
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Paul has over 3,000 posts last I checked and isn't bashful about posting. I'm sure if he wants to interact with members directly he will. For now he's working on a site replacement.

After the outage, some members reported getting responses to the PM's they sent him. I don't know if that's continued or not. He posts to us daily and things are pretty busy behind the scenes.