LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

What Can Be Done To Bring Traffic Back To The Site?

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th June 2018, 4:21 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
If he is serious about the beta forum he's working on replacing what we currently have, perhaps he's waiting to get that installed first, then push new/different strategies to increase exposure and membership.
Makes sense and hope this is true.

Quote:
For example, I noticed just under 1000 new members have joined since the outage, a bit over three weeks ago, but easily half, probably more, have been spammers we've banned. New forum software with stronger anti-spam measures will provide a cleaner environment and also more accurate stats on how we're doing regarding growing membership.
Distressing but not surprising. Having watched spam overwhelm email, web and now cell phones (many of my unwanted calls lately have been in Mandarin - is that happening to anyone else?), it's frustrating to see these assets devalued.

Quote:
If members have ideas about getting the message out and creating more exposure, feel free to suggest stuff and we'll pass it on to Paul. Historically we haven't received much feedback from such suggestions but no harm in trying.
How about connecting with a business school and have them take it on as a project? I know when my son got his Masters at a well-known West coast university, they worked with a number of corporate and non-profit entities in an advisory and problem-solving capacity...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2018, 4:31 PM   #17
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Robert is far more knowledgeable than I about computer networks but I can share that when I checked prior to the outage we were sitting at about .75 million site visits in the previous month. Some of that was just pings, some was robots, some was spammers and some was legitimate page views/readers/posters. The site pays for that traffic.

The country (USA) rank had been running pretty consistent in the 40K range but during the outage dropped to over 170K. I would expect that to continue for awhile and with a permanent hit remaining.

Lastly, this is the era of information warfare so targeted efforts to disrupt and destroy exist across national and international societies. We see it with spam, hackers, targeted disruption groups, our hydras, etc. All part of the no consequences world of the internet web site owners deal with. Our commander in chief has been MIA for a long time. The good news is he was here as recently as yesterday evening and he's been in contact with moderation more in the last month than in 4-5 years.

We thank members for their support and suggestions and we'll continue to forward them to Paul.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2018, 4:47 PM   #18
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post

How about connecting with a business school and have them take it on as a project? I know when my son got his Masters at a well-known West coast university, they worked with a number of corporate and non-profit entities in an advisory and problem-solving capacity...
Robert can correct me but I believe Paul was in college or just out of college when he first started what later became LoveShack and from what I've seen of his iteration of vBulletin is markedly different than the canned versions I've moderated elsewhere on the web. He also is very conversant in the language of coding, something mostly over my head, and has shared details with us in the past. I've always got the sense he was a DIY type person, running a not-for-profit web portal and did everything himself or with a few buddies.

I think the suggestion for seeking development assistance from a college is a good one and reality would likely find them coding a beta site replacement for testing and implementation or coding patches to implement on the live site. I can't see Paul giving access to the live site backend to anyone, especially a bunch of young people. He was, historically, pretty reticent about even giving out moderation authority and that doesn't get anywhere close to the site structure. However, I will pass that along to him on next contact. Thanks!
Old 8th June 2018, 5:13 PM   #19
Established Member

Doesn’t LS have record of all user’s email addresses? Why not just send out a mass email — “LoveShack is back!”

Personally, I was convinced the site was gone. I’m sure most people thought that. As a side, I looked for an option to become a paying member the other day but it seems there’s no option for that.
bathtub-row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2018, 5:49 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathtub-row View Post
As a side, I looked for an option to become a paying member the other day but it seems there’s no option for that.
that's what I said

- The Eagles
alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2018, 9:59 PM   #21
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Yes, here's what Paul wrote to us on May 14 regarding the subscription system:

Quote:
PayPal is no longer a viable payments processor for the site for premium subscriptions. The version of vBulletin we're using today doesn't support much else. As a result, the ability to sign up for premium subscriptions has been disabled for now until we find a different solution. Anyone with a remaining premium subscription will continue to have the benefits of that experience, however once it expires, they will go back to the standard version of the site.
I believe he expanded on the explanation later but will have to search for that. Some of this has been covered already in this thread:

https://www.loveshack.org/forums/gen...ow-into-future

I'm unclear on the subscription option actively acting to bring traffic back to the site but it certainly could help Paul out with paying the bills.

Recapturing search engine rankings and placement will likely go a long way to regrowth.
Old 11th June 2018, 11:32 AM   #22
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

For any members reading this thread wishing to add opinion regarding or discuss the LoveShack.org "Like" system, there is now a specific discussion and poll for that here:

The LoveShack "Like" feature - pros/cons and opinion

Thanks!
Old 19th June 2018, 2:34 PM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I have heard this before and I think people don't realize the resources and money it takes to run a forum that can serve up 6 million posts to thousands of users, the CPU power and bandwidth can cost over 1k per month or it used to..
I think people think a forum like this isn't very costly but the reality is it can cost 10's of thousands of dollars per year and advertising only pays a tiny portion of that so the labor of love aspect comes into play..

Loveshack has been around longer than some of it's posters are old and hopefully Paul will continue his labor of love project for us all.
I really don't want to argue as I'm sure you all have a lot more information than me.

My observations: Serving bandwidth for a mostly text site (vbulletin with MySQL....) is about $40 a month for shared hosting. (60-70GB / month) It'd be closer to $100/mo or $200/mo if you went with a dedicated box or a better server to handle the load but you wouldn't need that unless you had more than 5000 concurrent users uploading and downloading media 24/7, and even then, with that many people, the traffic can be converted to profit incredibly easy, even with a poor clickthrough rate. Wasn't there someone over in the UK who had a breakup and emotional unavailability blog that capitalized on loveshack's traffic because loveshack wouldn't? Natalie Lu or something?

Anything less than what's mentioned above can be easily hosted for a very, very cheap price. Technology has come a long way.

According the source of this website (could be incredible if edited), this version of vbulletin is 3.8.11. That version is definitely unsupported and outdated but still offers the ability to edit your templates and insert custom code to include donation and subscription buttons with payment options. If he chose to forgo that, awesome, but it's not because it's impossible unless, of course, this isn't a licensed copy of vbulletin....then I could understand!
Old 19th June 2018, 3:15 PM   #24
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Reading your comment caused me to look at Paul's prior e-mail content about the subscription system in a different light, specifically:

Quote:
PayPal is no longer a viable payments processor for the site for premium subscriptions.
At first glance I was thinking Paypal and LS couldn't talk to each other to make subscriptions work. Now I'm wondering if Paypal and Paul have issues and Paypal terminated him or he them. A business problem, not a technology problem.

As an update, we haven't heard privately from Paul since that e-mail chain concluded but do see him stopping by occasionally, as lately as noon today EDT. Hopefully he's reading threads like this one. The rest is up to him. Thanks for your comments!
Old 19th June 2018, 4:00 PM   #25
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrReplyInRhymes View Post
I really don't want to argue as I'm sure you all have a lot more information than me.

My observations: Serving bandwidth for a mostly text site (vbulletin with MySQL....) is about $40 a month for shared hosting.
Of course you are willing to argue some since you didn't take my reply and go .. "great!"...

I'm not privy to the true details of the cost and don't want to speak for Paul on that issue or tell the details of what he has told me but let's just say it doesn't cost 40 per month to serve up posts here or money would never had been an issue.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2018, 6:38 PM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Of course you are willing to argue some since you didn't take my reply and go .. "great!"...

I'm not privy to the true details of the cost and don't want to speak for Paul on that issue or tell the details of what he has told me but let's just say it doesn't cost 40 per month to serve up posts here or money would never had been an issue.
Touche` my friend.

While I may seem like I am talking out my ass, could you put in a word to Paul for me and tell him I'm interested in helping out?

DrReplyInRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 2:40 PM   #27
Established Member

The feature I would like to see is if you block a person, they also can't read your posts. Why? Because some years back, I had a nut following me around on here. Me blocking her and not reading her drivel did nothing to stop her from continuing to go off. She was eventually blocked, as I recall. There's really no point to blocking someone as it is now unless you are just bored by their posts but they are doing no harm. A mutual block would be better to nip arguments in the bud.
Old 13th July 2018, 3:19 PM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
The feature I would like to see is if you block a person, they also can't read your posts. Why? Because some years back, I had a nut following me around on here. Me blocking her and not reading her drivel did nothing to stop her from continuing to go off. She was eventually blocked, as I recall. There's really no point to blocking someone as it is now unless you are just bored by their posts but they are doing no harm. A mutual block would be better to nip arguments in the bud.
Unfortunately and while your idea is good and valid; it’s impossible on a vBulletin and any other forum plateform.

Unlike social media where blocking someone mean they are blocked for good.

If you suspect someone of stalking you, I suggest you report them to the mods who after a quick inquiry and evidences from you in PM are very likely to dispose of the alleged stalker.
Shanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 3:40 PM   #29
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I moved the last two posts from our "Like System" discussion since they don't relate to that discussion but are more of general interest.

There are browser hacks which can block ignored member content entirely but have no effect on what the ignored member can view. To my knowledge there aren't supported ignore features or hacks which can control what another member can see based on third party choices. Administration can control visibility and access to forums and child forums for member groups.

Like Shanex mentioned, if another member is a problem, contact a moderator and we'll look into it. Use of the ignore list with that member will block receipt of any PM's they might send.
Old 14th July 2018, 2:49 AM   #30
Established Member

Someone needs to put out the word that LS is back.
Age doesn't matter, but Love does matter! Which love it's the magical one "I love you" also I am in love with you" More powerful than anyone age! If you really love that person you are so interested in you would move heavens and mountains to reach them!'
coolheadal is offline   Reply With Quote