LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

Why are these words not allowed in thread titles?

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th February 2018, 10:51 AM   #1
Established Member

Why are these words not allowed in thread titles?

I recently started a thread and tried to use the word "advice" or "help" in the thread title and wasn't allowed. So now all the thread titles that just say "need" or "needed" (For Need Advice or Advice Needed) make sense to me! I thought a lot of people just posted in such haste that they left out entire words .

Why are these words not allowed in thread titles? Just curious.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 11:11 AM   #2
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

It's pretty simple.

It keeps the title of the thread descriptive so the users can tell the threads apart when they see them in the forums.

Can you imagine how hard LoveShack would be to navigate if all the threads were titled "Help, I need advice"

Even through out the forums, A thread about a break up, "Help, I need advice". A thread about a workout routine, "Help, I need advice". A thread about an OW/OM, "Help, I need advice".

You get the picture...

The few threads that say need or threads that circumvent the filter are small in comparison to what would happen if they allowed those words..

Last edited by Robert; 11th February 2018 at 11:14 AM..
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 11:12 AM   #3
Established Member

Haha, ok yes, I do get the picture . Thanks .
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 12:22 PM   #4
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Here's an old post from 2006 Paul made to the moderation staff:

Quote:
Hi all,

I've finally managed to restore the blocked words/phrases modification into the forum after I had to abandon it during the upgrade to vBulletin 3.5. The forum will now attempt to automatically strip out phrases and words that we define as inappropriate in thread titles. My current list is:
  1. help
  2. advice
  3. please help
  4. need*advice
  5. read*me
  6. confused
(* is treated as a wildcard)

Are there any other phrases/words we've been seeing appear in thread titles in excessive quantities? These were the few that came to mind immediately, but perhaps I've missed something. If a user attempts to enter a thread title with any of these phrases/words, they will be automatically stripped and the user will be prompted to check over the resulting title to make sure it still makes sense. They will then have a chance to edit the title before posting.

I haven't tested my changes extensively and it's rather late, so I appreciate keeping an eye out to see if this causes any unforeseen problems. The quick tests I did seem to indicate it's working smoothly, though in some instances, the error might not appear listed if multiple errors occur while posting a new thread, even though the title will be stripped of the offensive words. This is due to the way vBulletin implemented the code insertion points in the affected areas and working around it would require editing the actual forum files, something we've avoided doing altogether for the 3.5 release.

Best wishes,
Paul
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 2:40 PM   #5
Established Member

Is there a legend for the commonly used abbreviations on LoveShack??

Please and Thank You.
Old 12th February 2018, 1:41 AM   #6
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lemming View Post
Is there a legend for the commonly used abbreviations on LoveShack??

Please and Thank You.
There is a thread in the Water Cooler sub-forum: LoveShack Terminology - The guide to acronyms and forum shorthand. Most welcome! . ~ JC
William is offline   Reply With Quote