LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

Internet Etiquette

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2016, 3:33 PM   #1
Established Member

Internet Etiquette

I've always wondered what the rules of the internet are as far as copying and pasting words from another person.

Are there copyright (?) laws for the various forums/discussion sites, meaning once I post something here, it belongs to LS at that point? Are sites different with their rules, as I know FB we share a lot of stuff and it's legal to 'share' most everything.

A few times at the bottom of a post (FB) it will say 'copy and paste', meaning it's cool, but I wonder if it really is so very rarely share posts like that.

Is it just plain common sense and courtesy to ask the person if they mind if their words/posts are shared? Personally, that's what I would do...

Anyway, thank you, I realize this could be a bit deep legally speaking, as I've touched on a great deal, probably all with volumes of different laws and regulations.
Old 14th November 2016, 4:01 PM   #2
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

We get this question occasionally. Here's some excellent guidance from the site owner, this from the reminders he provides for people who quote content from other sources:

External links & fair use: Proper, full citations must be included when quoting directly from any source and quotations must not be longer than 250-words

Terms of Use: You may not post any message, data, image or program that would violate the property rights of others, including unauthorized copyrighted text, images or programs, trade secrets or other confidential proprietary information, and trademarks or service marks used in an infringing fashion.

External links & fair use: External links must be non-commercial, provide empirical data relevant to the thread of discussion, be sponsored by an accredited educational institution, or link to a peer-reviewed publication

For internal material, the policy is as follows:

We expect that all participants will respond to posts in their specific context, not to the person who has posted. While opinions may be formed of various members based on what they have posted in the past, any response to any particular submission should be grounded in what has been posted in that thread. Past disagreements should not be resurrected in new threads. It is important that criticism be directed at what is stated in a post ("I don't like your idea") rather than at the individual making the statement ("I don't like you").

For clarity, content of past postings are *not* to be resurrected in current threads, with the exception of material posted by the thread starter and *only* relevant to the current thread topical material. Hence, cross-talk between other posters about their respective postings in the past is deemed *off-topic* and is disallowed. Additionally, references to past postings of the thread starter which are relevant to the topic shall include a link to the referenced posting as well as a relevant quote from that posting in support of any assertions made or clarifications requested.

Edited to add that, from my information from Paul, everything which appears on this site is copyrighted by LoveShack.org and is the property of LoveShack.org and may only be used with permission and per copyright law. One example I recall was a member making up a logo that looked like LoveShack.org's logo and inserted some other content in that logo. Paul banned him.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by William; 14th November 2016 at 4:37 PM..
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 6:11 PM   #3
Established Member

It does William, thank you for your time and information!
pureinheart is offline   Reply With Quote