LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

Quote of Immediately Preceding Post

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2016, 11:45 AM   #1
Established Member

Quote of Immediately Preceding Post

"Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; Today at 6:48 AM.. Reason: Redacted quote of immediately preceding post ~6"

I've now seen the above a couple of times, where a mod has redacted the quote of the post right above the response. Makes perfect sense to me, have never understood why posters quote the entire post above theirs to add what is often a short response to a long quote.

Is this simply done on a case by case basis?

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 12:15 PM   #2
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Yes, it is done on an 'as seen' basis, or because of a report. I think it was CarrieT who first brought the issue to my attention a couple years ago because such full quotes were clogging up viewing on mobile devices, hers anyway. I took a look and agreed with that perspective so, as seen, I'll clean things up and notate the post with the reason it was edited.

Usually, the only such content which is reported is the 'wall of text' starting posts which the first respondent, or others, quote in full when providing a response. It's fairly rare to get reports but we do get them.

I don't think moderation has ever sanctioned a member or even notified them when such an edit has occurred. We simply clean it up and move on.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 1:54 PM   #3
Established Member

Sometimes I wonder if a pinned Forum Etiquette thread would be helpful, addressing things like unnecessary quoting, wall of text posting, text speak, thread jacking, etc?

Mr. Lucky
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 2:12 PM   #4
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I think the idea is admirable. However, we have site-wide published announcements, with views in the tens of thousands, and regarding more serious aspects of our community guidelines and the most common pushback when advised on those is ignorance. Basically, the people who don't follow the rules don't read the rules either, or they do read them and simply ignore them.

Here's the most common example of what you suggest which is ignored is a kind and respectfully offered helpful announcement which has existed since 2014 and has over 88,000 views:

LoveShack.org Community Forums - Announcements in Forum : LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

Either the content is completely ignored or the member asks for an exception and/or doesn't bother to provide the requested edited content, even when politely asked, or they demand a reason why their posting was deleted in that case. It's like the content published all over the site doesn't exist.

However, since I'm the one who's basically put together most of the informative announcements over the years, I'll suggest to the other moderators to give it a try and see what happens. If they want to, they have the tools and authority to do so.

In the meantime, as I see the quotes, I'll either snip them back to relevant content for the response or redact them with an explanation. Reasons that lack an identifier like ~6, ~T or ~V are usually me, though sometimes original Robert. The one you posted was me.

Thanks!
Old 12th August 2016, 10:55 PM   #5
Established Member

Is it really unnecessary, though? I mean, I usually am under the assumption that unless someone else is quoted or mentioned by name, all posts are directed towards the OP.
Old 31st August 2016, 4:58 PM   #6
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

In a simple, short thread like this, yes, it can reasonably be presumed that a post addresses the beginning topic starter or, like here, the post immediately prior. However, in some threads, they are long, convoluted and there are often numerous postings by the thread starter which are addressed and quotes can be a useful tool to avoid misunderstandings or confusion.

The site owner, in his sanctions, asks members to use such formatting sparingly and with good reason. That's what we seek to moderate to. Members post as they choose to. Hopefully, readers can make sense of it all.