LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

Stopping the spammers

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th October 2016, 2:47 PM   #31
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Our new moderator, ~C, is actively training on-forum this morning with their first process learning the spam removal system and how to spot spammers beyond member reports. If any odd things happen, our apologies for any disruptions and we'll fix and clean as appropriate. Thanks for the spam reports and enjoy your Sunday!
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2016, 5:46 PM   #32
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Our new moderator, ~C, is actively training on-forum this morning with their first process learning the spam removal system and how to spot spammers beyond member reports. If any odd things happen, our apologies for any disruptions and we'll fix and clean as appropriate. Thanks for the spam reports and enjoy your Sunday!
An interesting link, since you mentioned about 'huge' message boards in a previous post, which LS has become over the years (ie: forums with at least several millions posts over 10 years or more.

Alexa and how Loveshack.org is ranked, both nationally and internationally :

Loveshack.org Traffic, Demographics and Competitors - Alexa

~20,000 Site in US
~72,000 Worldwide.

Pretty impressive stats. It's a big place, may have slightly 'declined' in activity since the advent of social medias, but we still welcome many newbies, newcomers and yes, spammer and trolls to monitor for the staff.
Shanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2016, 6:20 PM   #33
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Yes, another forum I moderate is about the same size and a number I participate in have dozens of sub-forums the size of all of LoveShack.org and memberships in the millions and moderators in the hundreds. One even has members elected to a governing body which oversees the administration of the site, which is owned by a large corporation that owns internet forums and other technology assets. They run the latest forum technology, customized from vBulletin and have very rigid rules and I can't remember the last time I ever, I mean ever, saw a spam post.

One thing about LoveShack.org is that, while it may appear clunky and outdated, and IMO those are probably some of the reasons for its decline in rank, it runs really lean and chews up very little bandwidth. It would do better in rank if it was being constantly updated and new features added and promoted but ranking can also bring more targeted spam because spam likes exposure and the more popular, and especially with the relatively lax spam protocols here, the more spiders grab it and the more eyes see it.

While we do our best to get the spam as quickly as possible, we appreciate those reports because not only do they eliminate the annoying spam, they also help keep the site open. From what I know from Paul, the last hard closure other than host problems (hardware failure was the most recent one) or billing issues, was from a DMCA notice filed with the host for, yes, spam, specifically live streams of copyrighted material.

So, please keep those reports coming and thanks for sharing the stats.
Old 19th October 2016, 7:56 AM   #34
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenBook View Post
The banner ads are gone! I still see the same space where they were (bottom of first post on a thread page, and bottom of screen) - but no more ads. Thanks Paul, or whoever fixed it.
The AdChoices ads are back, and in the same places.
Old 19th October 2016, 6:57 PM   #35
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Looks like whatever Paul did wasn't permanent, I can see them on my regular user account with the ABP turned off.

Until a more permanent solution comes around I will say that the previously mentioned ad block software does work for these and that I have used it on LS for the last three months with no ill effects. ~T
Old 20th October 2016, 10:44 AM   #36
Established Member

Banner Ad's

10 characters

Last edited by Nowty V; 20th October 2016 at 10:46 AM..
Nowty V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 10:53 AM   #37
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Threads merged for continuity and previously published answers.
Old 12th November 2016, 4:44 PM   #38
Established Member

Spammers are spamming hard every weekend, it seems. And it has worsened.

As a simple member this would normally not bother me as I easily find them out and ignore them, but I am sure that the mods staff is getting sick and tired of this.

Unless Paul take drastic actions or return from his hiatus (?). Simple members will keep reporting and volunteer mods will keep deleting. It's a bit redundant for either of us.
Old 12th November 2016, 5:58 PM   #39
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Yeah, sorry about that. I think I cleaned up close to 50 this morning. Don't know what the other moderators did. Weekends are bad. Thanks for the reports. Lack of response and the no-replies link helps so appreciate member help in that area.

TBH, I doubt it'll change so I've developed a sense of humor about. Have a good weekend!
Old 19th November 2016, 3:40 PM   #40

Guys, the spammers are just overrunning the forum today. Where is everybody??
Imajerk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 3:47 PM   #41
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imajerk17 View Post
Guys, the spammers are just overrunning the forum today. Where is everybody??
Mods are also busy during the weekend.

Last week, William removed more than 50 spammers posts and ads in a morning
Old 19th November 2016, 10:07 PM   #42
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanex View Post
Mods are also busy during the weekend.

Last week, William removed more than 50 spammers posts and ads in a morning
We are busy, we all have families and lives that at times can mean LoveShack takes a backseat to more important things and when we all have things to do at the same time that can mean spam doesn't get processed out.

I had been on this morning, went to some Thanksgiving family deal and got back on tonight, I had to delete 90 threads tonight and process about 45 alerts.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote