LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

Quoting Posts

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2019, 4:02 PM   #106
Established Member

Good because I just got a message from a moderator complaining about my use of a quote. I still don't quite see the problem and I can tell you that I definitely see the benefit of quoting responses mid-thread. I've seen multiple posts of "[oh...that wasn't in response to you...that was in response to a post four posts earlier...]"

I get the mobile usage thing. There are better answers for that and, frankly, the advertising on mobile is much more problematic than people who quote previous posts (not advertising itself but the way the forum has been set up for mobile use). But oh well - it isn't my forum so you do what you want I guess.

BTW, my "good" is in response to William's post that I think is just before mine. I would quote it but...
lurker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2019, 8:51 PM   #107
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Lifted this list from Williams announcement which has been running since early January...

1. If quoting another member use the 'quote' button and trim and/or interquote (use quote/UBB code) content as necessary. Refrain from quoting entire posts, especially long ones.

2. Treat threads as conversations. Members cannot edit posts once responded to. Hence, no need to quote the immediately preceding post if responding to it. Use the member's username to preface a response.

3. If directing a response to the thread starter downthread, either quote their content being responded to or reference them, e.g. 'OP" or 'Thread starter', member's username, etc.

4. Do not, repeat, do not intersperse responses within quoted material. Use our interquote function or UBB code. It's easy to do. Why? Anyone responding to the content quotes both original content and response and has to separate out what they're responding to. That's disrespectful of fellow members time and also makes postings difficult to read.

The most common seems to be #2 where members are basically using the quote function as a reply button. Having cleaned up strings of 10+ posts all quoting the post that came before it, you can imagine what that does for readability.

I understand the convenience of having the post right in front of you as you write your reply and that's fine but go back and remove it before you hit submit.
Tristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2019, 9:12 PM   #108
Established Member

To Tristain:

Should we use the post number when responding to a user/poster that has posted multiple times in a thread vs. using the "quote" feature for that one particular post we wish to respond to??

For example if you had 3 posts in a thread... numbers 4, 8 & 10 and I wanted to respond to the content in your post #8, should I refer to that post number vs. quoting it??
Old 4th March 2019, 9:48 PM   #109
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lemming View Post
Should we use the post number when responding to a user/poster that has posted multiple times in a thread vs. using the "quote" feature for that one particular post we wish to respond to??

Nope, just quote as necessary and trim down to whatever aspect of the post you are replying to as I did above.

Every quote has a link back to the original post so anyone needing to see what you quoted in it's original context can easily click the link back and see the complete original post.

We're not looking to do away with quoting at all, we just want to cut down on the unnecessary stuff that other members have to sort through and clutters up the threads.
Tristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2019, 9:52 PM   #110
Established Member

OK... thank you for the response/clarification.
Happy Lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 3:57 AM   #111
Established Member

Re: The "no full quotes" policy

Just so you guys know, it's really difficult to truncate quotes when you're on a phone. LS is not mobile-friendly to begin with, but requiring quotes to be truncated is an entirely new level of user-unfriendliness.

On mobile, the options are really just full quote or no quote. IMO the latter is worse since it's rife with misinterpretation, but hey.
Old 11th June 2019, 9:20 AM   #112
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

When I left as a full time moderator, I expired all my announcements since I was the moderator who made them, and left policy decisions to the remaining crew. After, when reviewing stats, I suggested quietly expiring the quote policy as an experiment. The crew reactivated the announcement and dealing with quotes and spam and hydras are the only things I do now, and I'm pretty lenient, often spending a fair amount of time cleaning up threads without any sanctions, except with repeat offenders. You're one of those.

Unfortunately I can't and won't publish the list of members, what browsers they use and what devices they use but I can state that mobile users are a large component of all users, and they're using the device directly not hot-spotting it. Sure, some of the clever ones are obfuscating but those usually are banned members or soon to be banned members who are hiding. I personally moderate from my phone a fair amount and join you in your opinion that this forum sucks on a phone. It double sucks for moderation since we use a lot of forum features members have no access to, like when I truncate quotes and edit posts.

If the crew wants to sunset the quote thing, I'm good with that. It will save me many minutes each day and more minutes responding to member questions and comments like this. I look at the top of the forum when logging in and, if I see the announcement, I proceed. If/when it's gone, then no more. Easy.

I'd say we have under ten regular members who have an issue with repetitively ignoring the existing quote policy. Most of the time I send a nudge, no points, letting people know and never have another interaction with them. I see it as a forum-specific thing, maybe others don't do it but we do. As an example, another forum I have a large post count on, in the thousands, has a pretty strict language rule, even if they allow widespread insults of public and private figures. I once tried to circumvent their language filter of the letters 'fag' due to those letters being in the man's name behind the GoFundMe wall-building deal, Brian Kolfage, whose efforts I support. I also once referred to a murderer as a "fµcker". Because I circumvented their bleeper I was suspended for a week. No warning, no points, instant loss of access to the forum. Their sandbox their rules, if I want to be a posting member I will obey them or bye bye. It's a forum for men, actually gun owners , run by men. They don't screw around or make large explanation posts like this or send friendly reminders. Break the rules get suspended or banned, no questions/comments/debate. Done. In that vein I think Loveshack.org is a much friendlier and welcoming place but that's one member's opinion.

I think other mobile users should chime in here with their experiences. In the meantime, as I shared with you privately, if you lose the quote thing and just print "@username" in your posts to preface your response, the member the post is directed to will get it and the spirit of the policy will be fulfilled. Most phones will easily dictate that if you don't want to type it in. Try it and see.

Last edited by William; 11th June 2019 at 9:25 AM.. Reason: Accentuate language and fix spacing
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 9:25 AM   #113
Established Member

I've had some trouble with the quoting thing - especially on my phone. I've pretty much abandoned quoting, unless I am on my PC. I will try the @username with the copied part of the quote I want to use, from now on!
vla1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 9:34 AM   #114

I agree with the OP about the user-friendliness (or lack thereof) of truncating quotes on my iPhone

On a related note, I received a mild penalty from William last month for a different “violation”, which was totally fine. But it would have been nice if we could at least reply to his private message informing us of the penalty!
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 9:40 AM   #115
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

You'll never be able to message me again since I'm not a full time moderator and don't get involved with policy anymore. Any member can punch 'alert us' whether on this post or any private message from a moderator, and send that message and your comments to all moderators. Easy, takes a second and you do send reports so you know how the system works. When I gave up any control over policy I gave up discussing it or moderation with members privately. That's the deal. There are three other active moderators to discuss policy with privately and this thread, other than specifically the quote policy, is not the place.
Old 11th June 2019, 10:08 AM   #116
Established Member

I post from my iPhone occasionally, and while it's not easy/convenient I am able to trim quotes. It's the nature of using a phone to post. You can double tap to select a word, then expand the selection by dragging each end, or you can place the cursor and backspace. It gets easier with practice.

I am in favor of the policy. Usually there's a sentence or paragraph that is representative of the thought being addressed. There is no need for long quotes –– and it's beyond annoying to see a 300 word quote followed by a one sentence reply. However, I don't think that it ought to be considered a major transgression.

_________
**Ha! I just got my wrist slapped for a full quote while I was making this post. It was all of three lines. There is a big difference between three lines and 300 words, which the post prior to mine quoted.

Last edited by salparadise; 11th June 2019 at 10:15 AM..
salparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 10:24 AM   #117
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

While processing a few more quote reports (^^^) and getting rid of another iteration of the Truthplease hydra, I was reminded our other main quote moderator is on a well-deserved week-long vacation so members may be seeing more of me for the next week. Anyone interested in a moderation job PM Robert and he and the crew will consider you for taking over my account. Women in time zones other than the US would get preference if history is a guide, for balance.

Also, in reference to the starter's complaint about mobile devices, here's what I see on the last comment above this which in no way shares any personal information:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_4) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/12.1 Safari/605.1.15

Very similar to what my accesses return when posting from my landline with a laptop or desktop, neither of which are mobile devices..here's mine....

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0

The prior poster is running Mohave; I'm running High Sierra. Laptop in my case. Yes, user agents can be faked. Mine is not.
Old 11th June 2019, 10:28 AM   #118

“our other main quote moderator is on a well-deserved week-long vacation so members may be seeing more of me for the next week”

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the impression that all the moderators other than William have been on long vacations often?
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 10:40 AM   #119
Established Member

Quote:
I think other mobile users should chime in here with their experiences.
I post from my iPhone all the time but don’t really see shortening a post being any big deal.
Old 11th June 2019, 10:43 AM   #120
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Regarding moderator participation, while it might seem that way, it's far from the truth. Victoria is getting married, may be married already I haven't kept up, so isn't here much right now. 6ix did cut back due to work but is here most days. Tristian, who's on vacation, is here most every day, usually twice a day and Robert is like a machine. He's really invested in this place, worked here even before Paul gave him a separate account, as did all the others, and is the network and computer guru who also does most of the backend communicating with Paul. The other mods just happen to choose to not post publicly like I do. This has helped them retain their anonymity which IMO is a good thing. They're here. I'd prefer another woman on-board to bookend on Victoria's work but, historically, it's been difficult to keep women here, long before I ever became a moderator. I don't know why but that's a separate topic in itself, better discussed in the Admin area.

However, all moderators had the opportunity to put their .02 in on the quote policy and what I published was agreed to by all and they can change it without my input today if they want and with my full support.