LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

Quoting Posts

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th November 2008, 9:52 PM   #1

Quoting Posts

With all due respect, I'm irked by this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federica View Post
There's really no need to quote a whole previous post, if you're the next respondent. And then, you only need to quote the pertinent points! Takes up unnecessary room, and (in the case of really long posts) it's just irritating to have to scroll down to read what often amounts to a short and general response!

Thanks for your co-operation, guys!
First, who's to say what points are "pertinent" to the poster responding?

Secondly (and most importantly), how is any poster to know that they are guaranteed to be the next post to show up in the thread? I could be typing my response out at the same time as TEN other people, and my post won't show up next, now will it?

Third, sometimes you HAVE to quote an entire post - to wholeheartedly agree or disagree with it, and most often you're still not the very next post.

Finally, is "room" really an issue here?

This seems to be unnecessary moderating. Are we only to respond to the very last post in a thread now too?

Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Established Member

Seems common sense to me. I get annoyed having to scroll through previous posts - preserved in their entirety. If you have a comment to make, then quote the particular paragraph or sentence - otherwise it is pointless to quote, and consumes needless space and mental bandwidth.
Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
With all due respect, I'm irked by this:

First, who's to say what points are "pertinent" to the poster responding?

Secondly (and most importantly), how is any poster to know that they are guaranteed to be the next post to show up in the thread? I could be typing my response out at the same time as TEN other people, and my post won't show up next, now will it?

Third, sometimes you HAVE to quote an entire post - to wholeheartedly agree or disagree with it, and most often you're still not the very next post.

Finally, is "room" really an issue here?

This seems to be unnecessary moderating. Are we only to respond to the very last post in a thread now too?

Please don't take things too seriously. While there's a lot to be said for brevity and the best of English dictates things be said in a few words as possible, it really doesn't make any difference how long your quote is of other posts on LoveShack.

Understand that most people don't read most of what is written here or anywhere else. Of the ones that do, many don't understand what they've read or just don't take the time to try. But the world will go one, forever, even after the end of it and the particles of destruction spray over the vast universe and assemble in various place to help form other universes.

We need to worry about getting the United States economy back in order...and if, while doing that, we can post nicely and on topic on this forum that would be GREAT but not essential.
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 11:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Please don't take things too seriously. While there's a lot to be said for brevity and the best of English dictates things be said in a few words as possible, it really doesn't make any difference how long your quote is of other posts on LoveShack.
If it doesn't matter, then why are moderators REMOVING the quoted portions of posts?
Old 5th November 2008, 12:07 PM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
If you have a comment to make, then quote the particular paragraph or sentence -
Yup, this is what I do, copy and paste certain parts.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Established Member

I think it's funny that Star is upset about not being able to quote posts in their entirety but when JillyBean had a whole thread started from a post she made which was taken out of context Star basically told her to get over it.

Tony, way to stay on topic...haha!
redfathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
But the world will go on, forever, even after the end of it and the particles of destruction spray over the vast universe and assemble in various place to help form other universes.
An excellent indicator of our significance

Quote:
Secondly (and most importantly), how is any poster to know that they are guaranteed to be the next post to show up in the thread?
A quick edit solves that. Done that many times (go back and quickly quote the relevant verbiage) when other posters inter-post. Also, when in doubt, a poster can ask for clarification, and many have.

IME, this issue is far less relevant on LS, where posts cannot be edited at a later date, compared to other forums where one can go back, days or weeks later, and change their post to mean/say something completely different than what was responded to. Those situations are where complete context quotes are important, IMO.
Old 5th November 2008, 1:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfathom View Post
I think it's funny that Star is upset about not being able to quote posts in their entirety but when JillyBean had a whole thread started from a post she made which was taken out of context Star basically told her to get over it.
That's not at all what I'm upset about, nor did I tell JB to "get over it," so please don't put words in my mouth. I was perturbed that (go and look at the thread in question), that the moderator was removing the ENTIRE QUOTE, whatever that quote might be, telling the poster not to bother quoting when they're next in line. I think that's ridiculous.

That said, your post actually proves my point. Without JB being able to QUOTE what SHE chose, her post might not make sense. If I quote something, I want it included in my post - period. It shouldn't be removed by an over-zealous moderator who just thinks it "looks better that way."
Old 5th November 2008, 4:35 PM   #9
LoveShack.org Alumni

Well, I understand what you're saying, and I'm sorry you're offended.
I'm not here to deliberately upset people, or throw my weight about and be authoritarian.
But I am given to understand by a senior tecchie that quoting long posts, merely for the sake of it is actually quite 'space' consuming - particularly on a site as vast as this one.
My point was, that if you are responding to specific portions of a post, then obviously it's important to include those, because you're highlighting pertinent comments.
But I have seen people post great, big, long posts (especially if they begin with "Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I have this problem....."!) without breaks in the paragraphs, and immendiate subsequent responses, quoting the whole great, big long post all over again - and the respondent has picked up on maybe one or two sentences to reply to...!!

All I'm asking is for co-operation in saving time and space.
If posters have taken the time to read responses, in order to contributre - they're not going to sit and read the quoted post again - they'll skim through it.

One of the Moderators here has a "thing" about posts going off topic, and rightly so. Which is why they created an "All the off-topic posting you want, right here!!" thread. Which is a great idea -!

Unfortunately, I can't create a "Quote all the previous posts you want, right here!" thread.
That would just be silly!!
So I'm just trying to make it convenient for everyone to participate and work together to make this an easy, interesting site to read. Not make it laborious, long-winded and hard to get through!

That's all!

I never intended to offend anyone or censor anyone's posts - I'm just trying to do my job, and asked for some co-operation.

Seems I can't do right by everyone, huh?

Say what you mean, mean what you say.
Federica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 5:03 PM   #10
Established Member

I agree with Federica.. some people, I think, instead of just copying and pasting the parts they need .. just click on 'quote' and answer.

I find it rather annoying, especially when they 'quote' an ultra long post.. then answer with a 5-word sentence..
Lizzie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 8:16 AM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie60 View Post
I find it rather annoying, especially when they 'quote' an ultra long post.. then answer with a 5-word sentence..
I agree with Lizzie -- that situation just makes me want to hit the 'alert us' button.
Used to think my prob was that, when I started using the internet (about 89 years ago), there was a huge thing about "wasting bandwith" -- kinda nice to hear that is not just an 'old age' hang-up that I'm clinging to .
Ronni_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 9:50 AM   #12
Established Member

I have done this so many times without even thinking. My apologies. I will be sure to be aware of it from now on.

AP
Old 6th November 2008, 11:01 AM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaplus3 View Post
I have done this so many times without even thinking. My apologies. I will be sure to be aware of it from now on.

AP
I think we've all done this.. Federica just posted IMO to remind us to be more careful about the 'quote' button..
Lizzie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 11:36 AM   #14
Established Member

I've also quoted whole posts and replied to just a few points in it. For me it's a matter of saving some of my time. Might sound lazy but my LS time is often a quick distraction inbetween two work-related tasks.

So while I understand the need to save band-with and will try to keep the cite only relevant paragraphs guideline in mind, I apologize for any future "whole posts" citing.

Hmmm... And also, I sometime cite the whole posts because I want to have it right in front of me as I write my answer. I know, it's just a scroll down the page, but scrolling and having it on the page isn't the same.

Quote:
Understand that most people don't read most of what is written here or anywhere else. Of the ones that do, many don't understand what they've read or just don't take the time to try. But the world will go one, forever, even after the end of it and the particles of destruction spray over the vast universe and assemble in various place to help form other universes.
I wonder what will become of the presentation I am working on in those other universes? Reduced to paper - reduced to dust. What of all the thoughts and torture!!! where do they go?
Kamille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 4:39 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
Hmmm... And also, I sometime cite the whole posts because I want to have it right in front of me as I write my answer.
That's cool, but there's nothing to stop you trimming the not-so-relevant stuff out during your immaculate composition, or perhaps just before you hit submit.
Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote