LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

What constitutes improper postings


LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Former Member
 
scammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: mid west
Posts: 64
What constitutes improper postings

I have been on this site more recent I am not sure why lol this place is like a drug. I am ready to ban myself from it because well stupid people are bad for your health. I find a number of people on here and random guests giving the most awful unreflecting advice. Its almost as if they just type the first thing that comes to there head give no examples, facts or even hypothetical situations to back it up. I am not a confrontational person and so far this week I have told a person to not pro create there are enough morons in this world then I have told a person they have no idea what they are talking about. It just seems to me this site is becoming filled up with a bunch of clowns. I won't name names. I think I need to go into the Betty Ford and get shackabuse. I am controlling my fingers so to say and curbing my comments. But is that doing some of these people really any good? Especially the ones who really don't have the backbone to change. I mean if I say to do something very difficult and you will get this result because when I did X it came out to Y and someone comes in and says hey guess what I have no idea what Y is but 1+1 is two and 1+1 is easy which one are they going to take the difficult or the hard mmm doesn't take a brain surgeon. I don' know I don't put my two cents in unless I actually know what I am saying Just some food for thought. If I curb my posts so as to not engage in an argument what am I really doing?
scammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 12:54 PM   #2
Established Member
 
johan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,606
You can say whatever you want as long as you comply with the site guidelines.

You sound convinced that you have things figured out. Might as well find out if you're the only one who thinks so.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by scammy View Post
If I curb my posts so as to not engage in an argument what am I really doing?
You are following the guidelines http://www.loveshack.org/forums/guidelines/ and staying unbanned. It doesn't help anyone to be told they're a moron. Even if you think it, saying it does nothing good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Former Member
 
scammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: mid west
Posts: 64
mucho gracias

I just need to not call people morons even If I think they are
scammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 2:10 PM   #5
LoveShack.org Director
LoveShack.org Director
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Tampa, Florida USA
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by scammy View Post
I have been on this site more recent I am not sure why lol this place is like a drug. I am ready to ban myself from it because well stupid people are bad for your health. I find a number of people on here and random guests giving the most awful unreflecting advice. Its almost as if they just type the first thing that comes to there head give no examples, facts or even hypothetical situations to back it up. I am not a confrontational person and so far this week I have told a person to not pro create there are enough morons in this world then I have told a person they have no idea what they are talking about. It just seems to me this site is becoming filled up with a bunch of clowns. I won't name names.

I think I need to go into the Betty Ford and get shackabuse. I am controlling my fingers so to say and curbing my comments. But is that doing some of these people really any good? Especially the ones who really don't have the backbone to change. I mean if I say to do something very difficult and you will get this result because when I did X it came out to Y and someone comes in and says hey guess what I have no idea what Y is but 1+1 is two and 1+1 is easy which one are they going to take the difficult or the hard mmm doesn't take a brain surgeon. I don' know I don't put my two cents in unless I actually know what I am saying Just some food for thought. If I curb my posts so as to not engage in an argument what am I really doing?
If you will simply reply to the original post in a thread, give the best advice you can, and not engage others that's the best you can do. Each thread should ONLY contain posts giving each individual member's advice or opinion. There's no reason to criticize the opinions that others have set forth. The person seeking advice can go through all the threads and take what they feel is appropriate for their situation.

When personal attacks and battles occur, that clogs the system and takes away from our mission. When posts get off topic or when personal silly messages start going back and forth within a thread, those serve no purpose either.

If you see a post that's really bizarre or is insulting or what you believe to be a personal attack, you have no business answering it. It's against the guidelines. Simply use the report post function and moderators will be alerted within just a few minutes. Let the moderators handle the situation.

There is simply no way you need to engage any other member in a debate or attack. Just stick to the mission of giving your own advice and moving on. If everybody did that, it would be great. Unfortunately, we have many people who come here who are from families that constantly fight...and they feel that our family here must be the same. It really shouldn't be!
__________________
Tony
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 2:21 PM   #6
Established Member
 
magichands's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Middle of Everywhere
Posts: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
There is simply no way you need to engage any other member in a debate or attack. Just stick to the mission of giving your own advice and moving on. If everybody did that, it would be great. Unfortunately, we have many people who come here who are from families that constantly fight...and they feel that our family here must be the same. It really shouldn't be!
Shut up! I mean, that is excellent advice. I do, however, believe that "refining your point of view" does have some value to the original poster.

But your advice is still excellent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scammy View Post
Its almost as if they just type the first thing that comes to there head give no examples, facts or even hypothetical situations to back it up.
So that's what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited by magichands; 22nd October 2006 at 2:23 PM..
magichands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 3:59 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Almost at the beach!
Posts: 17,558
Be frustrated all you want but the fact of the matter is that there's usually more than ONE right answer to a problem or situation. It doesn't matter if someone chooses to not "back up" their answer. It's up to the OP to weight and decide what's best for them given all of the advice submitted.

An answer that is submitted with no reference point or backup can be just as effective or "right" (if not more) than one submitted with all the anecdotes, facts and examples in the world.

You may be thinking too much in a vacuum..."black and white" thinking doesn't usually serve us well in most instances and scenarios.
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 4:20 PM   #8
Established Member
 
magichands's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Middle of Everywhere
Posts: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touche View Post
An answer that is submitted with no reference point or backup can be just as effective or "right" (if not more) than one submitted with all the anecdotes, facts and examples in the world.
That's what I thought, too. I feel better now.
magichands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 6:53 PM   #9
Former Member
 
scammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: mid west
Posts: 64
Becareful what advice you take its a crap shoot on here

With that in mind.... I am deleting my profile from here because I tend to think of myself as open minded and able to see the shades of gray in a situation. I don't feel this site is really a help for anyone just a place where everyone dumps there blah. Older people can influence younger people just pursue their basic hedonistic wants and the site does not promote basic critical thinking. Itís too bad because it reaffirms the fact that you should never believe anything you read on the Internet.
scammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 7:01 PM   #10
Established Member
 
johan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,606
Good luck on your quest for Truth.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 7:03 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Almost at the beach!
Posts: 17,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by scammy View Post
With that in mind.... I am deleting my profile from here because I tend to think of myself as open minded and able to see the shades of gray in a situation. I don't feel this site is really a help for anyone just a place where everyone dumps there blah. Older people can influence younger people just pursue their basic hedonistic wants and the site does not promote basic critical thinking. Itís too bad because it reaffirms the fact that you should never believe anything you read on the Internet.
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I think this site helps many, including myself. The site DOES promote critical thinking...I mean look at all the options and different view points someone has to consider. I think it's excellent for critical thinking...not all one view is presented. The OP gets to think and weigh what's best for him/her.

This has nothing to do with what to "believe." It has to do with critically looking at the responses given and weighing the poster's experience/credibility etc.

It's a shame you can't see that. Has this site harmed you in some way? If so, I'm sorry for that. But it's helped many more that it's harmed in my opinion.

Good luck finding what you're looking for!
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 8:07 PM   #12
Established Member
 
magichands's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Middle of Everywhere
Posts: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by scammy View Post
Itís too bad because it reaffirms the fact that you should never believe anything you read on the Internet.
Everything, not anything. Get your facts straight. And stop threatening helpless animals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touche View Post
I think this site helps many, including myself.
This is so true - you should have seen her when she first started posting. At least now she has a tenuous grip on reality. But take this site away from her - and hence her support network - and the world is back to being a dangerous place.
magichands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 8:31 PM   #13
Established Member
 
Rooster_DAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by magichands View Post
Everything, not anything. Get your facts straight. And stop threatening helpless animals.

This is so true - you should have seen her when she first started posting. At least now she has a tenuous grip on reality. But take this site away from her - and hence her support network - and the world is back to being a dangerous place.
Ditto, I think this site has helped me and many others I know tremendously. Sure, there are some pretty irrational and dumfounded postes here (I've probably even posted a few), but for the most part there are some really good perspectives which we all can learn from.

Good luck, you will probably find this frustration wherever else you go as well.

Cheers!
Rooster_DAR is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleavage at Work - Proper or Improper? csfong007 Business and Professional Relationships 31 25th February 2006 7:21 PM
Court ordered subpeona of LS postings.... alphamale LoveShack.org Questions and Comments 25 25th May 2005 11:45 AM
Postings LoveAngel Archive 0 14th August 1998 5:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 9:53 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.