I'm thinking about going with my boyfriend to his job interview.

I'm already kinda worried that I won't get to see him every weekend anymore if he gets this job... and once classes start for both of us. I'm just trying to squeeze in as much time as I can with him... even if it's me waiting for his interview to be over...

A friend said that it doesn't look good when people come with you to job interviews because it looks like you can't do stuff on your own. I don't understand that. We could have gone out and done something BEFORE the interview and I was with him... it could be anything. Plus, he's already quite independent and I'm very proud of him. Just because I come doesn't mean he's officially marked as dependent on me... What the?

What do you guys think?

EDIT:

Right afterwards, he has class and has to go home. So I won't get to see him afterwards.

lovestruck234

I agree with your friend. Just let him do it on his own, he will come across alot more confident...

No, it doesn't officially mark him as dependent, but first impressions are a BIG DEAL to employers, and by bringing you along, it will give the impression that his personal life may get in the way, (no offence) and he won't be focused.

By him coming by himself, along with his CV and whatnot, it will show that he has no other distractions and that this job is all he's reaching for at the moment.

Worry about him getting the job first, then if he does get it, then think about ways he can fit you in as well. He may not even get it....

Just let him focus completely on getting this job first....don't be a distraction. I'm not saying you are, you are also very important in his life, but just let him do his thing for now then take it from there.

i don't think its a good idea. you may be subconciously trying to sabotage his efforts to get this job.

• Author
i don't think its a good idea. you may be subconciously trying to sabotage his efforts to get this job.

What? I really really want him to get this job. He'll be happier and make more money, which means he'll be able to afford to move out of the hell-hold he lives in now. Why would I want him to not be happy? It never even occurred to me that coming along to his interview would even come off as being a negative thing. That's why I'd ask for opinions on this.

Thanks lovestruck for your input.

What? I really really want him to get this job.

see below:

I'm already kinda worried that I won't get to see him every weekend anymore if he gets this job...

I've interviewed quite a few people over the years and I would much prefer they came on their own. It just doesn't look good. Hope he gets the job.:)

Yep don't actually go into the interview place with him. It doesn't look professional in my opinion.

By all means wait down the road with a cup of coffee, or in the car, or some where close by if you want to see him straight afterwards.

But I do think he should go by himself. :)

• Author

Alphamale, lol... so I won't get to see him as much.

Does that mean I'm not happy for him?

Does that mean I want him to never move out and never earn a lot of money?

Does that mean I want him to be miserable?

You make me sound like a horrible person, geez.

Thanks everybody for your side. :)

Alphamale, lol... so I won't get to see him as much.

Does that mean I'm not happy for him?

Does that mean I want him to never move out and never earn a lot of money?

Does that mean I want him to be miserable?

You make me sound like a horrible person, geez.

Thanks everybody for your side. :)

Not a horrible person at all! Sunconciously sabotaging his chance of getting this job... possibly.

The fact that you have posted on here about something as seemingly simple as accompaning him to a job interview indicates there is something more going on underneth the surface...

• Author
Not a horrible person at all! Sunconciously sabotaging his chance of getting this job... possibly.

The fact that you have posted on here about something as seemingly simple as accompaning him to a job interview indicates there is something more going on underneth the surface...

omg...

i can't believe this. nevermind. FORGET IT.

omg...

i can't believe this. nevermind. FORGET IT.

Woah, defensive much? Why did you have a spaz attack when confronted with the possibility of subconsciously wanting something that might make you look like a bad person?

for the record it looks REALLY unprofessional to have someone tag along on your job interview.

Yes, please try to refrain from going, even if you are itching to. As others here have stated, it makes him look incapable of going anywhere without bringing his GF in tow. It also reeks of unproffesionalism.

Plus, it makes you look like a jealous GF who is only going because she wants to make sure there is no substancial competition should he get the job.

I have seen it time and again go down, and the ones that do go in with GF never get the job. One time, we were interviewing a canidate who brought his GF and the other interviewer shut the door in her face. Afterwards, we were discussing the possible canidates for hire, and when we got to his application, the other interviewer threw it away in the trash, for the simple fact that he actually brought his GF with him and as lovestruck pointed out:

and by bringing you along, it will give the impression that his personal life may get in the way, (no offence) and he won't be focused.

Afterwards, the entire office was poking fun of him because of it. They had a field day with that one. I think the office unanimously agreed that he was suffering from "jealous girlfriend" syndrome.

I wonder too, whether or not you are:

Sunconciously sabotaging his chance of getting this job...

and of course you are not a horrible person, and I am sure he feels good that you want to be there to support him, but let him do this on his own.

Try maybe leaving earlier and grabbing something to eat with him, or a cofee beforehand.

Hahahaha. Oh man, this is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Hahahaha I'm sure the employer will have a good laugh before kicking your bf and you out of his office before the interview even starts. How old are you? 14? Have you never had a real job? Making statements like this, your first worry should not be your boyfriend, but getting your own life together before you even think about worrying about a relationship. Sorry if this seems harsh, but it's true.

Definetly a no no. It wouldn't look good at all. It wouldn't look professional it there was somone tagging along.

What does your bf think about you coming along? Does he know this is what your thinking about doing?

If he doesn't know yet, aren't you scared of looking alittle needy?

I know it sucks that you don't get much time in with the bf, but if the relationship is important to the both of you, you will find time to be together.

It'll all work out the way it's supposed to, so don't sweat it :rolleyes:

Hey there's always the broom closet at school! :D

It's completely unprofessional to bring someone along with you on a job interview.

I've interviewed people for jobs before and I simply wouldn't hire someone who needed to bring someone. That's ridiculous

don't know if it's too late, but i think it'd make more sense, if you just want to be around him when his attention is elsewhere anyway, to go to class with him. educational too!

but seriously...why not just wait for him at a coffee shop or something? it's not like you'll be spending quality time with him while he's interviewing anyway, right? :confused:

• Author

Wow. Seems like a lot of you people assume too much... like having someone you love come with you is such an awful thing.

Thanks nice guys for the nice input.

Well, my mom called and we chatted for a little bit and the topic of his interview came up. She asked if I'm coming with him. I said, "He didn't ask." Later, my boyfriend was like, "Ask what?" And I said, "Asked me to the interview." He said they told him it would take 2 hours. So that's why he didn't ask me to come. He didn't want me to be bored for 2 hours. It took less than that and we got to eat lunch afterwards. He didn't get the job because they couldn't work around his school schedule.

My mother didn't make it seem bad at all about wondering if I was going with my boyfriend to the interview. It was just casually brought up by her. It's not abnormal. She already thought I was going. You can work with a friend and no one looks down on you. You can deposit money at the bank with someone and no one looks down on you. You can go to a doctor's appointment with someone and no one looks down on you. You can go to an interview for a scholarship with someone and no one looks down on you. Don't look too much into a simple interview for a job. lol.

• Author
Then why did you feel the need to ask if it was okay or not? I mean, if you are so sure?

I thought it was ridiculous that it would look weird if I came along.

So I had to ask to see if other people thought that, too.

Do ya get it?

leopardprint

Yeah, but then you got your answer - everyone in here agreed that it would not be a smart move.

Then you got all defensive on people giving you their honest oppinions and advice, whos only intentions were to steer you and your boyfriend in the right/best direction.

• Author
Yeah, but then you got your answer - everyone in here agreed that it would not be a smart move.

Then you got all defensive on people giving you their honest oppinions and advice, whos only intentions were to steer you and your boyfriend in the right/best direction.

Hahahah. I only started getting defensive by how alphamale and pink were being rude. Notice I didn't say anything before... like about lovestruck's response. Be observant here. lol. Look at the facts before you accuse.

Hahahah. I only started getting defensive by how alphamale and pink were being rude. Notice I didn't say anything before... like about lovestruck's response. Be observant here. lol. Look at the facts before you accuse.

They weren't rude, you freaked out right when something you didn't want to hear (read in this case) was said. I think that your immature attitude may have really set people against your judgement.

Hahahah. I only started getting defensive by how alphamale and pink were being rude. .

I was not being rude, I was giving you my opinion.