Nat'l Geographic, Feb 2006 - What is Love?

A superb article appears in the Feb 2006 Nat'l Geographic on "love". You should all read it. Below is a synopsis:

Scientists say that the brain chemistry of infatuation is akin to mental illness—which gives new meaning to "madly in love."

*Copyright 2006 Nat'l Geographic Society - All rights reserved.

I remember reading once that chocolate produces the same chemicals in your brain as falling in love does.

I have heard of that as well. I love chocolate, and you would think as much as I eat it, I would be overfilled with love! :love::p

Jade

• Author
I remember reading once that chocolate produces the same chemicals in your brain as falling in love does.

are we talking like Hershey's here? or is it only the high-end chocolates like Godiva? :lmao:

If this is true, then some people may be incapable of love because of mild to moderate brain damage (which is actually more common than most people think). Like drinking, drugging, physical abuse, car accidents, head injury....

• Author
If this is true, then some people may be incapable of love because of mild to moderate brain damage (which is actually more common than most people think). Like drinking, drugging, physical abuse, car accidents, head injury....

yes, the article also stated that people on anti-depressants such as SSRIs can temporarily lose the ability to feel love...

Alpha, I've posted links to stories about the biochemical bases for love about a zillion times. And you're breaking copyright laws :p

*Copyright 2006 Nat'l Geographic Society - All rights reserved.
ReluctantRomeo
Alpha, I've posted links to stories about the biochemical bases for love about a zillion times. And you're breaking copyright laws :p

No, check the website. You can email this "taster" to friends - they want people to go buy the magasine.

Well anyways this explains a lot. Not everyone is capable or love. I think I'm one of those people. But I can be awfully fond of someone I suppose.

• Author
No, check the website. You can email this "taster" to friends - they want people to go buy the magasine.

yes...I read the article yesterday and it was fascinating. You won't find the entire article online cause its in this months issue. But I would recommend it to everyone on LS.

bluechocolate
are we talking like Hershey's here? or is it only the high-end chocolates like Godiva? :lmao:

I've wondered the same thing. Somehow, delicious as they are, this box of Cadbury's Heroes I'm munching my way through is not having that effect.

On another note - men should eat a small bar of dark chocolate & have a glass of red wine everyday. It's good for our hearts apparently.

I've wondered the same thing. Somehow, delicious as they are, this box of Cadbury's Heroes I'm munching my way through is not having that effect.

On another note - men should eat a small bar of dark chocolate & have a glass of red wine everyday. It's good for our hearts apparently.

Women as well. I heard recently that heart disease is like the number one killer of middle aged women.

• Author
Women as well. I heard recently that heart disease is like the number one killer of middle aged women.

well that is fine and dandy :laugh:

but lets get back on track here. B_0, what do you think of the stmt below?

"A woman unconsciously uses orgasms as a way of deciding whether or not a man is good for her. If he's impatient and rough, and she doesn't have the orgasm, she may instinctively feel he's less likely to be a good husband and father. Scientists think the fickle female orgasm may have evolved to help women distinguish Mr. Right from Mr. Wrong."

"A woman unconsciously uses orgasms as a way of deciding whether or not a man is good for her. If he's impatient and rough, and she doesn't have the orgasm, she may instinctively feel he's less likely to be a good husband and father. Scientists think the fickle female orgasm may have evolved to help women distinguish Mr. Right from Mr. Wrong."

Although not directed at me, I would have to agree with the above excerpt. Oxytocin is released during orgasm (and also during breastfeeding for women) which is largely responsible for the feeling of bonding and love. If I remember correctly, the oxytocin withdrawal one experiences following a breakup is similar in terms of brain activity to cocaine withdrawal.

• Author
If I remember correctly, the oxytocin withdrawal one experiences following a breakup is similar in terms of brain activity to cocaine withdrawal.

well then TB813, its quite unfortunate that the original formulae of Coca-Cola is no longer sold because it may have been a "cure" for the post-breakup blues...

well then TB813, its quite unfortunate that the original formulae of Coca-Cola is no longer sold because it may have been a "cure" for the post-breakup blues...

Yep. And a lot easier on one's wallet. :D

ReluctantRomeo
yes...I read the article yesterday and it was fascinating. You won't find the entire article online cause its in this months issue. But I would recommend it to everyone on LS.

I read and enjoyed it, but I have to say that the quote about orgasms was the most interesting bit. The rest was pretty vague and material that is better covered elsewhere. In Outcast's biology lectures, for example :)

yes, the article also stated that people on anti-depressants such as SSRIs can temporarily lose the ability to feel love...

I'm feeling this one. I find that the anti-depressants curb all of my extreme emotions. So no anger and depression, but also no feelings of love or excitement. :(

...men should eat a small bar of dark chocolate & have a glass of red wine everyday. It's good for our hearts apparently.

That conjures up a rather endearing image.

This is too funny as I asked my H if he was dropped on his head a significant number of times as a baby :laugh:

Now I would like to try an experiment to see if the same brain areas light up as they do when they show pictures of loved ones:

Pictures to show Women: chocolate sundae, Gucci bag, Lovely home with divine interior, Brad Pitt, wads of cash.

Pictures to show men: any naked hot woman, chain saw, new car photos, muscle car photos, a photo of a very lush lawn, a golf club, wads of cash.

Love knows no boundaries....... just ask the MI guy that got busted on the sheep farm doing the naughty........would a Serta commercial with sheep counting light his brain up? :D

• Author
Now I would like to try an experiment to see if the same brain areas light up as they do when they show pictures of loved ones:

Pictures to show Women: chocolate sundae, Gucci bag, Lovely home with divine interior, Brad Pitt, wads of cash.

you forgot shoes A4A...research has shown there is a small area of the cerebral cortex that is dedicated just to shoes. This would light up like an xmas tree :laugh:

you forgot shoes A4A...research has shown there is a small area of the cerebral cortex that is dedicated just to shoes. This would light up like an xmas tree :laugh:

I was thinking thigh high leather black spike heeled boots but was unsure if that picture should be shown to men or women....... both sexes may get their brain bits lit up by that one.

OH GAWD then mine is a lit up as the sun... I have a thing for shoes. I love them. Can't have enough of them....

OH GAWD then mine is a lit up as the sun... I have a thing for shoes. I love them. Can't have enough of them....

Pada we will also show you a picture of your ring :)

pretty pretty.....