How long should I wait for someone to call me back?

I have a friend who lives far away (ok, an ex I'm still interested in). We both had a quarrel a couple of days ago via email. I apologized for getting upset and suggested that you talk in order to clear things. I still like him, but I've also come to realize that I do not like the situation I'm in. I've been accepting things from the beginning that I actually do not find acceptable and this turns me into a nervous passive-aggressive wreck who stresses him and doesn't make this friendship a pleasure to be in. I don't think I should stay in a situation that I don't find acceptable and stress other people. I gave this "friendship" a try, but I feel that the conditions are unfair and not favorable for me.

I sent him an email two days ago suggesting a talk, but he hasn't answered yet, he probably will say that he is busy. So, my question is: how long would it be acceptable to wait for someone who is busy to call you back?

Just see whether or not he responds within an 'x' amount of days. Say 7 days. If he does not respond: his loss, and not yours. You cannot make amends for ever and still remain in a messed up situation. Sometimes the time is there to say you simply must move on.

• Author
Just see whether or not he responds within an 'x' amount of days. Say 7 days. If he does not respond: his loss' date=' and not yours. You cannot make amends for ever and still remain in a messed up situation. Sometimes the time is there to say you simply must move on.[/quote']

I find 7 days too long. I don't want to drag this on for another day, week, month or year. I just don't want to be too unfair though with my expectations.

I'm confused as to why this is a big deal to you if you've already determined the relationship is not a good one you want.

Is it just a "am I crazy, or what?" question, or are you looking for ammo to justify your complaints against him, or what?

I can't imagine there are any rules for this sort of thing. I mean, it depends on what's going on in life, right? Yet you seem to want some kind of rule to live by, which can really quash a relationship if it doesn't adhere to some kind of legalistic template. It sounds like you're too self-aware to be into such games, though, so I may just be projecting and will shut up now!:o

• Author
Is it just a "am I crazy, or what?" question, or are you looking for ammo to justify your complaints against him, or what?

I do want to talk with him and I prefer that you at least can agree to disagree. I just wonder if it's realistic and unfair to expect someone to get back to you within a couple of days or am I too demanding? It seems he doesn't find it reasonable when I get impatient. I feel brainwashed and don't know anymore what is normal and what is not.

• Like 1