Would it be weird for me to pretend I need this book in order to talk to this girl?

So there is this girl on campus I've seen a few times who is quite cute but I haven't had the chance to meet her. I saw that she was selling textbooks and I thought that even though I don't any of them, it could be a way to start a convo. However, I'm unsure about doing this as I feel like lying about this may seem weird or scummy and not to mention, someone else might actually need one of those books. So I was wondering, would it come across as odd to do so?

Then don't lie. Never say you need a book that she's selling. Ask her what's she's selling. Ask her where you can get a book you do need. Heck ask her what her major is. It's a cliché for a reason -- it's a classic college ice breaker.

• Like 2

Agree it would be weird as well as needlessly expensive. However, starting a conversation about something else might be a nice idea.

Women tend to favor confidence and social skills. Contriving a situation in order to talk shows a lack of confidence and normal social skills, relative to just openly starting a friendly conversation.

Strike up a conversation with her and try to find common ground, just don't lie about something you don't need to get to know her. If she seems easy going, keep up the conversation. If she's dismissive, move on.

Smile and say something like, Oh, I've seen you around. Aren't you the girl who gets books for people? You don't have to need one. Then just introduce yourself. Tell her your social media handle. Maybe she'll tune in.

• Like 1

Tell her "I don't need any of these books but I had considered buying some just to talk to you. If you're willing, I'd rather spend the money to take you out."

Remember, classy girls will be nice and they won't embarrass you even when they have to turn you down.

• Like 4

I don't agree at all. Honesty is not the best approach, always.Pickup lines are not supposed to be truthful, so what? Tell the truth and go home alone.

Say you might need the book but don't buy it. Am not sure that this line will

help you though. You'll need to be smooth. After you date her twice, then tell her the truth and she'll laugh.

Awesome Username
Tell her "I don't need any of these books but I had considered buying some just to talk to you. If you're willing, I'd rather spend the money to take you out."

Remember, classy girls will be nice and they won't embarrass you even when they have to turn you down.

Absolutely smooth.

That line is only going to work if he delivers it with swagger and confidence. If he bumbles or seems nervous it's more likely to cause an awkward scene.

I'd recommend getting into a short conversation about something she can relate to before delivering it. Going up, giving lots of confident eye contact, asking her how the text book business is going. And if you're getting good vibes back after a few back and forths then drop it. "I don't really need a text book but I needed an excuse to talk to you. I've gotta run but gimme you're number so I can take you out and we can continue this conversation."

When I was in collage, I had some of the craziest segways you ever heard. I would really take great effort in making them have ZERRO relations to each other, and my friends actually labeled them with my name. (Bob-isums)

SO... if it was me I would say something like....

"I see you are selling a book on astronomy... and I have a question. What are you doing on Saturday night?"

At adds a little humor, and gets attention. It actually was something I stole from a favorite movie of mine when I was younger... "Real Genius." There was a mom of a smart kid talking with a well known professor and TV host, and she said to him... "I saw your show on radioactive isotopes, and I have a question. Is that your real hair?" I thought it was funny, and stuck with me my entire life.

Good luck.

Edited by Blind-Sided

You'd come across as every other weak, cowardly guy that she gets hit on 25 times per day and has been since she hit puberty.

She'll smell you a mile off, and have no interest in you.

Be honest and ask her out.

Cute thread. This reminds me of when I was in high school, had a massive crush on this guy in a band in one of my classes, and bought and listened to one of Pink Floyd's more obscure albums that he recommended just so I could talk to him more. God, I was a giggling mess anytime he even looked at me :lmao:

It wasn't a total wash - I discovered some

:D

Now the lyrics are playing in my mind:

Life is a short, warm moment

And death is a long, cold rest

You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye

Eighty years with luck, or even less

• Like 1