Sternberg's Theory and Passion?

Do you believe in or buy into Sternberg's Theory?

Can passion build up throughout a relationship or does it have to be there from the start?

Intimacy, Passion and commitment,

Passion probably has to be there from the start, it is hard to find the spark if it not there initially,

Perhaps intimacy and commitment can keep a relationship going long after the passion is gone,

then there is the beggars cant be choosers mentality, you find someone you are reasonably content with and that is good enough,

settle for average as came up on another thread and perhaps in time the intimacy and commitment will grow.

spiritedaway2003

I can only speak for myself, but the "spark" or "interest" has to be there.

I've not been in many relationships because of it. I'm not a shy person so talking to people isn't a problem; it's finding the right person that's harder. Without that spark, there's no chance of anything more.

I used to a friend who wanted more; on paper he seems like a good match. In reality, he feels more like a brother to me. No spark or romantic feelings for him. I really tried - just can't do it. He became an ex-friend because of it.

somanymistakes
Do you believe in or buy into Sternberg's Theory?

I don't know because I have no idea what that is.

Can passion build up throughout a relationship or does it have to be there from the start?

Depends on what you're defining as the "start"?

If there's no passion at all fairly early in the relationship, it probably won't work out.

On the other hand you don't have to have an undying passion when you've just met someone either.

Friendship can develop into love, but it doesn't always.

People who decide to date someone "just to try it" sometimes find that spark and other times don't.

Sometimes when you let yourself explore an option it explodes into wild passion and other times there's just nothing there.

l can confirm passion can def build up over time.

Not saying that will happen, but lets just say you can get some extremely nice surprises along the way that can change a lot of things.

over time romantic love fades and something else must be present to keep the union together

My spouse and i have been married for almost 22 years. Just speaking from perosnal experience, but passion ebbs and flows, based upon what's going on.

over time romantic love fades and something else must be present to keep the union together

Disagree, though one's definition of what constitutes "romance" evolves over time...

Mr. Lucky