It's really nothing to be embarrassed about because almost all of us have phobias of some sort, but just be honest and upfront with her about it.

Lord. I don't even like that people keep those animals in aquariums all cooped up, and a lot of them let them loose in the house. I just think they need to stop selling snakes as pets. Also, dangerous for small pets.

It's not embarrassing. It's legit. Many reasons not to like it. I wouldn't sleep over somewhere that had a snake, seriously. I have handled a 15 foot boa, but I am not going to be comfortable sleeping in a house with one. I'd have a pet rhinocerous first.

major_merrick

Just open up and tell her you can't deal with it. People who like reptiles are weird. In my world, there's only one good use for a snake - target practice! Even the Bible explains our hatred for snakes, as God cursed them:

"And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed." (Genesis 3:15):laugh: Shoot 'em, then barbecue 'em.

• Like 1

I have a rule.

All pets must be equipped with a minimum of 2 legs and a maximum of 4.

People who like reptiles are weird.
I'm sure there was some Cave Chick way back when that just haaaad to have a T-Rex.
  • Like 1

If it's not poisonous, work on overcoming your fear. There are phobia treatments available.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

I only hope future generations finally get over this irrational fear and wanton destruction of animals like snakes and other reptiles that are just as viable a creature as any other, an important member of the food chain and necessary for proper maintenance of a viable ecosystem..

Anyway, once you open your mind you realize that these animals are quite beautiful and non venomous varieties that are commonly kept make fine pets...They wont adore you like your dog will, but they don't bark, shyt on your carpet, smell, need to be walked or anything else a dog requires...Also dogs, even small ankle biter types, are FAR more likely to inflict serious bodily harm..

Open your mind up....learn to live and respect natures creatures...The fear is not really rational...

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
  • Like 3

l thought this one must've been a joke, or some chick complaining about trouser snakes :bunny:

Anyway, l couldn't have a woman with pet snakes. just couldn't..

Ahh everyone's so mean to snakes!! I think snakes are awesome.. But I'm an animal lover in general.

It's nothing embarrassing, really. If she loves you, of course she'll understand. Maybe have her put her pets to a separate room? And if they're not poisonous, there really isn't much to be afraid of at all :)

I would call it a day at the mere mention of the word snakes. There is no way that I would ever visit anyone's home who has a snake as a pet, as I've had a life long phobia of snakes.

Many people keep boa constrictors. They can strangle you. They're not poisonous, but they can strangle you. Have you ever seen a boa constrictor poop? Because I have. It is worse and much bigger than any dog poop and it is yellow.

Boa can go a long time without pooping, but when they do, it is like someone turned them inside out. It went all over a long table, from end to end, about six feet of fetid yellow bile, and it had to be cleaned up.

Snakes, like all exotic pets, should be left in the wild or in a protected natural habitat.

I only hope future generations finally get over this irrational fear and wanton destruction of animals like snakes and other reptiles that are just as viable a creature as any other, an important member of the food chain and necessary for proper maintenance of a viable ecosystem..

Anyway, once you open your mind you realize that these animals are quite beautiful and non venomous varieties that are commonly kept make fine pets...They wont adore you like your dog will, but they don't bark, shyt on your carpet, smell, need to be walked or anything else a dog requires...Also dogs, even small ankle biter types, are FAR more likely to inflict serious bodily harm..

Open your mind up....learn to live and respect natures creatures...The fear is not really rational...

TFY

thefooloftheyear
Many people keep boa constrictors. They can strangle you. They're not poisonous, but they can strangle you. Have you ever seen a boa constrictor poop? Because I have. It is worse and much bigger than any dog poop and it is yellow.

Boa can go a long time without pooping, but when they do, it is like someone turned them inside out. It went all over a long table, from end to end, about six feet of fetid yellow bile, and it had to be cleaned up.

Snakes, like all exotic pets, should be left in the wild or in a protected natural habitat.

I'll go out on a limb and say I probably know more about this topic than anyone on this site...

You're ok, P....But you don't know what the hell you are talking about here...

And snakes aren't "poisonous"....some are venomous.....yes, there is a difference..

Snakes for the pet trade are rarely taken from the wild anymore...They are easy to breed and that's where they come from..

Snakes "strangling" people is about as common as getting hit by lightning and eaten by a shark....at the same time...Less than 10 in recorded history....and that number is probably due to irresponsible ownership..

heres random stats off the web...

Falling over furniture: 785

Falling down stairs: 1,598

Falling off of ladder: 406

Drowning in bathtub: 352

Drowning in swimming pool: 636

Choking on food: 819

Bee, hornet, wasp sting: 54

Struck by lightning: 66

Accidental poisoning: 17,550

In only one year!!

TFY

• Like 1
I only hope future generations finally get over this irrational fear and wanton destruction of animals like snakes and other reptiles that are just as viable a creature as any other

I don't kill them because they are "there". But I'm not cuddling up to them and keeping them in my house either, where they can get loose and I wake up with them in bed with me "keeping warm". It is a miserable existence for them as well in captivity, except for maybe a zoo that gives them plenty of room to roam.

I'll buy you an alligator for Christmas.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
I don't kill them because they are "there". But I'm not cuddling up to them and keeping them in my house either, where they can get loose...

100% agree... I had this one home and a black snake found a way to get into my home. I have no idea how he was getting in and out. I tried "Snake-a-way" to deter him and get him to move on, but had no luck. Then one day I was cutting grass in the yard and spotted him. I quickly put the lawn mower on top of him. Initially, nothing happened, but I guess he raised his head just enough and the mower did its job, shredded snake... problem solved.

I really did try a live and let live type of attitude with this snake, and if he would have stayed outside, I really would have left him alone, but he decided to make my home, his home... so it was either him or me. And yes, I was afraid he would have come into my bed at night and cuddled up next to me. The thought sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it.

In addition to my "no snake/no reptile" deal breaker rule, I also have a two cat maximum rule. After dating a woman that had six cats, I put a maximum on cats. If she has more than two, run away... And yes "crazy cat ladies" come in all ages, shapes and sizes.

thefooloftheyear

You guys are killing me....Snakes "cuddling up in a bed with you"???

:laugh::laugh:

Keep those stories coming, guys....This may be about as much fun I will have in a long time...

Also, bear in mind that many US snakes are now protected by law and deliberately harming or disturbing them can bring a hefty fine...What kinda puzzles me is that the snake you killed could have been feeding on mice and rats and keeping them from entering your home....I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want my property or house riddled with rodent vermin..

Its really sobering to see how many people still don't bother to understand animals but instead choose to slaughter for no real good reason...

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
  • Like 3
Happy Lemming
You guys are killing me....Snakes "cuddling up in a bed with you"???

Well I did find "Mr. Black Snake" curled up in my clean laundry basket. I had taken the laundry out of the dryer and left in the basket, while a second load was drying. I left the home to run a quick errand and when I came back he was in the clean warm laundry. I can only assume he was attracted to the warmth. So it would not have been that far fetched to believe he would have made his way to my bed (at night) in search of that same warmth.

major_merrick

TFY

Oh, the fear is quite rational. My husband was bitten by a copperhead a couple of years ago. Snakes are his worst fear, and that experience was not helpful. They can maintain the ecosystem just fine away from my yard, my property, and my kids. For keeping insects away, I've got chickens in the yard. And cats are a much nicer choice for killing mice. We've got a couple of indoor cats and a dozen (at least) outdoor cats. I haven't seen a mouse here, except maybe one or two in the barn. I get that snakes have a place, but they aren't the only critters that can do the job. Owls and foxes kill mice too....and they kill snakes.

We've got three kinds of venomous snakes and multiple kinds of nonvenomous snakes on our property. I'll pass on having them around, and I think anybody who keeps one as a "pet" is crazy.

thefooloftheyear
Oh, the fear is quite rational. My husband was bitten by a copperhead a couple of years ago. Snakes are his worst fear, and that experience was not helpful. They can maintain the ecosystem just fine away from my yard, my property, and my kids. For keeping insects away, I've got chickens in the yard. And cats are a much nicer choice for killing mice. We've got a couple of indoor cats and a dozen (at least) outdoor cats. I haven't seen a mouse here, except maybe one or two in the barn. I get that snakes have a place, but they aren't the only critters that can do the job. Owls and foxes kill mice too....and they kill snakes.

We've got three kinds of venomous snakes and multiple kinds of nonvenomous snakes on our property. I'll pass on having them around, and I think anybody who keeps one as a "pet" is crazy.

You said previously...

" In my world, there's only one good use for a snake - target practice! Even the Bible explains our hatred for snakes, as God cursed them:[/b]"

Don't expect anyone, least not me, to take anything you say on this topic seriously or with merit after such an idiotic comment...…

TFY

• Like 1
The thought sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it.
But his spine would have been warm and happy. I can just see the tip of its tail wrapped affectionately around your ankle in the morning light,....with it's head on your shoulder,...forked tongue tickling your ear,...beady little eyes half closed in sweet bliss.

For the record I probably wouldn't have run over it with the mower.

Just be honest with your gf. How long have you been together? If not very long, maybe you should think about whether or not you want to continue since she wants to have snakes and you have a phobia of them. Neither of you are likely to change how you feel.

Just for the record, I would never kill a snake (or any other living being) on purpose unless it was actively attacking me or someone else. All creatures serve a purpose. But I certainly don't want to share an indoor space with a snake.

Happy Lemming

For the record I probably wouldn't have run over it with the mower.

I don't own any firearms, so that wasn't an option. Also, it was a residential neighborhood where children play, the thought of a stray bullet doing harm to others scares me more than the snake. I also think there were some local laws about firing a weapon in that area.

Moreover, if the snake had been a protected species or some other crap, I could say I didn't see it and was just cutting my lawn.

Either way... problem solved and I'm sure he fertilized my grass as he bio-degraded back into the earth.

major_merrick
You said previously...

" In my world, there's only one good use for a snake - target practice! Even the Bible explains our hatred for snakes, as God cursed them:[/b]"

Don't expect anyone, least not me, to take anything you say on this topic seriously or with merit after such an idiotic comment...…

TFY

Tell you what, if you like the snakes so much, I can send you some for free. I'll figure out how to catch the next rattlesnakes we find in the chicken house. Would you prefer them to be sent via UPS or FedEx? :laugh:

Lemming, the mower solution sounds like it worked. Although my husband's grandma swore by the usefulness of a sharp shovel.

Snakes are cool pets. My daughter has a corn snake. She use to wear it as a hair tie when it as smaller. It would wrap around her hair to hold a pony tail and rest its head and upper body on top of her head.

I get the phobia though. I wasn't took fond of snakes when she got it but got used to it quickly.

Funny story - many years ago she had a different snake. It was in the pocket of a jumper she was wearing. My other daughter had a playmate over and the playmate's father showed up to take her home. He was a big burly guy. As he was waiting my oldest daughter (maybe about 9 at the time) walked up and started talking to him. He squatted down to be on her level to hear what she was saying. As soon as he did so my daughter repeated "want to meet Alex (the snake's name)?", pulled the snake from her pocket and shove it toward the dad's face.

The dad screamed and basically levitated. I am pretty sure he hit a High E that would have made Mariah Carey proud. Ha!