How to start talking to a girl in my coed social sports team?

Hi

I have just started playing social sports at university. There is 1 girl on my team that I am interested in.

The problem is that my team meets 5 minutes at most before the allocated playing time, play the sport and then leave right after. Not a lot of time for talking.

After the game, she usually leaves quickly before everyone else.

Last week, however, I noticed some things:

- For the first time, I noticed she waited behind and the group left together. Someone else started talking to her before me.

- I was being my usual self of being happy, smiling and down to earth self (do girls like that?) and I managed to make another girl laugh (She was making fun of me for asking a question - I don't mind). I noticed she gave a small smile when I caught her eye while watching the game from the side.

Does this mean anything and how can I start talking to her in this situation?

The competition finishes in a few weeks time. I don't want to let this opportunity pass.

Thanks

The ice breaker doesn't have to be profound & it's good that it will take time to build to something.

Initially just make a point to specifically say hi to her. If she does something good for the team give her a sincere hi five. If she does something particularly well verbally comment. As she's leaving suggesting going to grab a sports drink or even water in the student union.

It's college the old standbys of what's your major or how's classes going work too

• Author
The ice breaker doesn't have to be profound & it's good that it will take time to build to something.

Initially just make a point to specifically say hi to her. If she does something good for the team give her a sincere hi five. If she does something particularly well verbally comment. As she's leaving suggesting going to grab a sports drink or even water in the student union.

It's college the old standbys of what's your major or how's classes going work too

Hi, thanks for the reply.

When she was late last week I actually made a special effort and did look her right in the eyes and said hi to her. Gave about 3 seconds eye contact.

My team doesn’t really congratulate each other when we do well so I think it will be weird if I start doing it.

The problem is is that I have no time to strike up a conversation.

My team doesn’t really congratulate each other when we do well

What the heck kind of team is this? I've seen high-fives in everything from debate to football.

You've already got more common ground than most starting relationships. You could start with something as simple as "good game..." ...

Mr. Lucky

a team night out looks the way to go,

then make sure "you get involved" just chatting to the ladies especially, casually being engaging and so on,

no pressure on yourself, just getting to know them better is the aim and hopefully it might lead further

I'm not sure there is an opportunity. If she was interested in chatting to anyone, she wouldn't be rushing off at the end of the game. Out of curiosity, why are you interested in her? It doesn't sound like you've had a chance to find out what type of person she is.

walk up to her and say "hi my name is daz96, what are you doing for the rest of your life?"

-or-

set up a bar night at the pub after your last game. make a flyer and hand out to the team and encourage ppl to come

Hi. What about telling her simply something like "I wanted to talk with you since I saw you here. I find you to be (.....) and I would be so happy to talk with you!" I know it sounds simple and a little silly, perhaps sometimes the simplest and most truthful things work out for best? Of course be yourself - you yourself will be the best! Good luck!

• Author
What the heck kind of team is this? I've seen high-fives in everything from debate to football.

You've already got more common ground than most starting relationships. You could start with something as simple as "good game..." ...

Mr. Lucky

It’s a netball team. If someone does something good on the court, the whole team can’t go and hi five because you can’t leave your positions area on the court.

• Author
a team night out looks the way to go,

then make sure "you get involved" just chatting to the ladies especially, casually being engaging and so on,

no pressure on yourself, just getting to know them better is the aim and hopefully it might lead further

That’s a good idea. However there are no bars or similar around where we play.

Lame excuse Daz. Find somewhere at the closest major centre (which has good transport) which has a bar.

Or, if there's truly nothing within 20kms, then it's "Team drinks at my place"

loversquarrel

Buy some balls, attach them to your groin and learn how to say hi. Seriously dude, women like a guy who can break the ice, it shows confidence.

• Like 1
crispytoast
Buy some balls, attach them to your groin and learn how to say hi. Seriously dude, women like a guy who can break the ice, it shows confidence.

Sick advice mate

• Author
Lame excuse Daz. Find somewhere at the closest major centre (which has good transport) which has a bar.

Or, if there's truly nothing within 20kms, then it's "Team drinks at my place"

Do you think it should be before/after the game or it’s own event on a weekend?

I think it should be before/after.

• Author

Hi!

The girl that I am interested in has been sick last week and will he sick again this week so has not been there. I will see if the team wants to get dinner next week before the game but I am worried that she won’t make that either.

Can they play sport on a full stomach?

Come to think of it, if she only comes to play and then leaves immediately, it's probably a fair chance that she won't come to dinner or drinks with the team.