What do guys/girls think of tattooed girls?

Just curious!

I've a huge watercolour tattoo on my back, and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it (to my face, at least), and I've never regretted it. I got it as a symbol of taking back power and stuff like that, personal reasons etc.

I was reading through a post here about tattoos being trashy, and only just realised that perhaps the reason men who have approached me over the years have always been chilled out, relaxed people, or at least not too straightlaced, may have been due to my tattoo! It may have acted as a filter for people who are straight laced or prefer/need their women to be straightlaced and clean cut.

I'm actually in a very straightlaced job (really preppy type of career), i seldom party, kinda of introverted and a homebody. At work, I cover up my tattoos, no one at my workplace knows (unless they become close friends), and my own parents don't know about my tattoos, whenever we meet up I cover them up.

Was pretty taken aback when I read about tattoos being considered trashy, I kind of thought that in 2019, people would be a lot more open and less judgmental about tattoos by now. I've just gotten so used to having a tattoo that when i sometimes get compliments on my tattoo, I'm actually like, Oh, yea, it is a tattoo. It's not just my skin.

So i'm just curious - if people see a girl with a huge full-back tattoo, watercolor of flowers and all, do people think trashy? Different? Is it really that big a deal? I'm so used to it now, I'm just curious if it's actually a bigger deal than i thought!

mark clemson

Some folks have issues.

I believe so many women get them these days (e.g. at the mall) that it would be a non-issue for me. It's like having curly hair or something. But I'm not actively looking.

I cannot of course speak for all men on this.

• Like 1
TheFinalWord

I don't mind a small tattoo with some significance, but overall tattoos comes across as masculine to me. I guess it depends how much you are into feminine women. That tends to be more of what I'm attracted to.

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 1
Happy Lemming

I dated one woman with a HUGE back tattoo that wrapped around her rib cage. She had mentioned having a tattoo, but I thought it was something small on her shoulder; it ended up being quite large. I saw it the first time we had sex and it was a bit of a turn off (for me).

We didn't date long and I ended up dumping her. The tattoo wasn't the only issue, but it was a factor.

For the record, I have no tattoos. Similar to "BaileyB" I think I would change my mind and would regret doing something permanent to my body.

Just my two cents...

Tearsdontfall7

Very trashy and borderline masculine

Would be ok with a small butterfly or something on ankle. Anything big is disgusting

I'm just telling you the truth. I like classy looking and very feminine women. Tattoos are neither classy looking nor feminine.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Overweight or trashy women with a bunch of ghetto or boardwalk booth tats looks like shyt….A woman with a great body adorned with some great body art looks fantastic..

Its no different for men either I am sure...;)

TFY

• Like 1
  • Author

Cool! Wow, i had no idea. haha.

Interesting. I mean, personally, I love my tattoo and wouldn't change it for the world. But very enlightening to see how other people think, with regards to tattoos. Always loved tattooed peeps, never got any flak for mine (perhaps cos it looks super girly and colorful), but guess my decision to never ever show it at work was the right one! Better err on the safe side.

Never actually met anyone who was turned off by my tattoos, but then again! I wouldn't know, cos they wouldn't have approached me, I guess? But even when my tattoos were hidden (e.g. dates after work, where I definitely cover it up) and i talked about it after a date, or showed peeks of it, never had a disgusted or turned off reaction. Maybe I just had the luck to meet really polite men.

Guess I was curious as to what people think about it, when niceties and whatnot are not involved. Good to know there's still quite some judgment about it, was wondering about whether I should ever risk letting other colleagues know about having a tattoo! Shall not, then.

losangelena

Love how tattoo –> masculine –> trashy. Notice how it’s all the men saying it’s “gross?” That tells you a lot about a certain kind of male mindset. Women must be feminine and “classy,” whatever that means. Remember, a man is only measured by the attractiveness of the woman on his arm. How dare she choose to express herself ...

Pardon the sarcasm.

I think a full back tattoo is rad, and you should be thankful that you have a built-in filter for men like this.

• Like 2

Hi!

I have really been wanting to get a tattoo, but every guy I am with says don’t dare touch your beautiful body. That a women is most stunningly beautiful as a blank canvas.

I’m not sure I agree......I really want to get a birds flying away tattoo on my back. Just saving up the money and courage.

Have a beautiful day my friend!

doyathinkso

Tattoos are gross.

They make you look like you either have a prison record or are on your way to one.

• Like 1
Simple Logic

Tattoos and piercings are not attractive on men or women, why people think they are has always been it bit baffling.

Blind-Sided
Overweight or trashy women with a bunch of ghetto or boardwalk booth tats looks like shyt….A woman with a great body adorned with some great body art looks fantastic..

Its no different for men either I am sure...;)

TFY

I'm kind of right with this.

My 70 year old mother is a very sweet lady. She is what you could call a "Norman Rockwell" picture perfect "Grandmother" type. She is nice to everyone, she has a good heart, and dresses very tastefully for a woman of her age. But, on her back... there is a large cheeryblossom tree branch. At the ends of the branch are the names of me an my brother, and then the initials of our kids. It was done later in her life, and is always covered up, other than the people she wants to see it. It is very significant to her, and has pure family meaning. The funny part of all of this is, when we are at somewhere like a sports bar, and we get a waitress with tats, she will ask about some of them. Then, she will tell the waitress to pull her collar back to show her's. It always ends in a laugh, and the waitress is always shocked because of the way my mother presents herself.

My father has a sleeve on his one arm, but stops at his mid fore-arm. He is a successful business man, and generally is wearing a suit. Here again... it's covered completely and only comes out to the people he wants to show it to. My Brother is the same way.

So, I come from a family with tattoos, so I don't automatically judge. BUT...................

As above... if it's a trashy girl, wearing trashy clothes, and has a rose, or unicorn on a breast... or on her ankle... that's such a turn-off to me. It's generally done poorly, and you know it was one of those drunk choices. If it's something tasteful, and with meaning... AND, is done WELL, then I don't have an issue.

With that said... I probably wouldn't have approached the trashy girl regardless of seeing the tattoo. But a nice girl, with a trashy tattoo is still a turn-off.

Edited by Blind-Sided

I normally lurk rather than post, but I had to chip in here. What a lot of judgmental posts... I wonder if it'd be as socially acceptable to say "I think overweight men are DISGUSTING"? ;-)

I'm female and tattooed. I've never had anybody refer to my body art as "trashy". I've dated men who have tattoos themselves, and others who don't. None of them have ever had an issue. Some men do dislike them, and that's their prerogative. It's no different to me having deal-breakers such as children, or not finding somebody attractive for whatever reason. Be proud of who you are, and the right person will dig it too. PLENTY of guys out there like an inked lady!

• Like 1
some_username1

I'm not keen on tattoos on men and can't stand them on women. Maybe if they had originated as being a feminine thing then my response to them would be different but to me they are historically synonymous with masculine pursuits: A life at sea, being a criminal/having done time, maori culture....it's really not easy for women to appropriate that culture and have the general population see it as being 'feminine'. Visible tattoos (sleeves, biceps, legs etc) especially are an aggressive look on a woman. I would never avoid being a friend of such a woman but I would never see her as a dating prospect because personally I am looking for a feminine woman and tattoos *to me* are not feminine or attractive- quite the opposite.

The interesting thing I find is that they seem to be borne out of some sort of rebellious fashion phase for Anglo-Western societies. I just got back from Italy and it was striking how the women all dressed well, looked demure and classy and had no visible tattoos both in public and on apps like Tinder. Totally the opposite of how women look in general in the UK where usually every other woman on Tinder has a photo showing off a tattoo.

So in general - each to their own but I do find it disheartening how those of us who would prefer women without tattoos here in the West seem to have really limited options unless we go abroad. It is almost to the point where NOT having a tattoo has become the ultimate symbol of being 'different' - the irony :laugh:

• Like 1
Tearsdontfall7
Love how tattoo –> masculine –> trashy. Notice how it’s all the men saying it’s “gross?” That tells you a lot about a certain kind of male mindset. Women must be feminine and “classy,” whatever that means. Remember, a man is only measured by the attractiveness of the woman on his arm. How dare she choose to express herself ...

Pardon the sarcasm.

I think a full back tattoo is rad, and you should be thankful that you have a built-in filter for men like this.

built in filter? lot of traditional/old school men who are all about being a gentleman, awesome father and awesome dad think it's trashy as hell. Even on a beautiful girl it looks horrible - look at this nonsense

https://s.en.fishki.net/upload/en/201506/08/1559314/d2d6c17b672f4521790dd77d56fcb36a.jpg

It's like putting graffiti on the Mona Lisa. The other problem is most tattooed women get addicted to it and they don't want to stop. Why do I want to bring a woman to see my mom and dad and have them ask her why she looks like she just came out of prison?

• Like 1
Tearsdontfall7
I'm not keen on tattoos on men and can't stand them on women. Maybe if they had originated as being a feminine thing then my response to them would be different but to me they are historically synonymous with masculine pursuits: A life at sea, being a criminal/having done time, maori culture....it's really not easy for women to appropriate that culture and have the general population see it as being 'feminine'. Visible tattoos (sleeves, biceps, legs etc) especially are an aggressive look on a woman. I would never avoid being a friend of such a woman but I would never see her as a dating prospect because personally I am looking for a feminine woman and tattoos *to me* are not feminine or attractive- quite the opposite.

The interesting thing I find is that they seem to be borne out of some sort of rebellious fashion phase for Anglo-Western societies. I just got back from Italy and it was striking how the women all dressed well, looked demure and classy and had no visible tattoos both in public and on apps like Tinder. Totally the opposite of how women look in general in the UK where usually every other woman on Tinder has a photo showing off a tattoo.

So in general - each to their own but I do find it disheartening how those of us who would prefer women without tattoos here in the West seem to have really limited options unless we go abroad. It is almost to the point where NOT having a tattoo has become the ultimate symbol of being 'different' - the irony :laugh:

well said brother

Italian girls are so beautiful and classy, would love to visit there

Edited by Tearsdontfall7

Usually I hate tattoos on girls no matter how small/large they are, I always said I would only date Tattoo free girls, but funnily enough my Girlfriend of 5/6 months has 2 medium tattoos Left Thigh & Right leg. I love her to bits. Only found out about them on first date I was hooked so couldn't say no to 2nd date

Edited by GTR King
Wallysbears

Superficial men judge women based solely on looks...and that includes tattoos.

You don't want one of them anyway.

A really good man will find you beautiful for who you are..and your appearance (and tattoos) will be a bonus to that.

I find "trendy" tattoos questionable because of the fact that they are just trendy. I love actual artwork tattoos and ones that have meaning.

Then again, most people I know that have tattoos are very artistic and creative. Their tattoos are extensions of that creativity.

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic

I feel the same way as you, WB. I don't have any tattoos, but I do like meaningful ones. I wonder if my exH regrets his generic "tribal" tattoo around his bicep lol.

My 18 year old daughter wants to get a tattoo. She's very artistic. She doesn't know what she wants, or where, and she's so deathly afraid of needles she won't even get her ears pierced, so I'm not sure how this is gonna go lol. If she ever does it, it will be something meaningful to her, and small.

thefooloftheyear

I find the same guys that dislike tattooed women also dislike women who are workout enthusiasts and like to do some weight training...Like somehow a woman isn't a "real" woman if she isn't as soft as a pillow and can't open a fresh jar of peanut butter without the help of her guy...:laugh:

Not sexy?? c'mon..

TFY

• Like 1
some_username1
Superficial men judge women based solely on looks...and that includes tattoos.

You don't want one of them anyway.

A really good man will find you beautiful for who you are..and your appearance (and tattoos) will be a bonus to that.

I find "trendy" tattoos questionable because of the fact that they are just trendy. I love actual artwork tattoos and ones that have meaning.

Then again, most people I know that have tattoos are very artistic and creative. Their tattoos are extensions of that creativity.

Oh please- that’s just feel good nonsense. Would you tell a guy with bad teeth that a really good woman will love him for who he is?

People are allowed to have choices in what they find attractive, it doesn’t make them superficial or mean that they are any less of a really good person. It should not be taken so personally on here that person x does not like a man/woman who is Y. We can’t date everyone after all!

It cuts both ways too- I’ve been rejected for NOT having tattoos, according to your logic that makes her superficial and not a good woman when it’s nothing of the sort just her having a type and knowing what she finds attractive.

Tl;dr people can find tattoos attractive/not attractive, it says nothing about who they are as a person

• Like 4