Why do so many single men not like to travel?

I know there are a few who do, but I think the majority of single men do not like to travel or just don't travel. I'm wondering why that is. This is in comparison to single women. Why do single women like to travel but single men do not? I belong to a nationwide singles travel group and they take trips all the time and the trips will be 95+% female every time (via pics). So what's the real scoop? Why do single men not like to travel?

• Author
Or maybe the women just take more pictures?

They are pictures of the whole group and comments are made by the organizers that hardly any men go.

GorillaTheater
Or maybe the women just take more pictures?

:laugh: That may be it. I love to travel (other than a business trip to someplace I've been 20 times before), but I absolutely suck at bothering to take pictures. I've caught hell for that before.

I went to South Africa for two weeks in 2001, and took maybe a dozen pictures. I never heard the end of it.

• Like 3
  • Author
:laugh: That may be it. I love to travel (other than a business trip to someplace I've been 20 times before), but I absolutely suck at bothering to take pictures. I've caught hell for that before.

I went to South Africa for two weeks in 2001, and took maybe a dozen pictures. I never heard the end of it.

I hardly take pictures either unless someone else takes them, and like I said above, they are pictures of the whole group and the men aren't going.

GorillaTheater

I have no explanation, then. If I was single and was outnumbered by women 20-to-1 on a cool trip, I could hardly think of a more perfect situation.

• Like 3

My theory is that most men are already traveling, but with their girlfriend, or by themselves. Women who are not part of a couple are more likely to travel in a group for safety reasons. Men aren't as concerned about that.

• Like 4
Happy Lemming

Nomadic rodent, here...

I've always been one to travel, move, and stay mobile through my youth. No regrets!!

It can be costly, though.

Do you think guys are spending their disposable income on dating and not traveling??

• Like 1

You may only conclude that men who travel solo do not join singles travel groups. It doesn't mean they don't travel, they just have no interest to join a group. What does the group do? Chitchat? I travel alone but I don't want to talk about it.

• Like 4
Why do single women like to travel but single men do not? I belong to a nationwide singles travel group and they take trips all the time and the trips will be 95+% female every time (via pics). So what's the real scoop? Why do single men not like to travel?

I think single women are more comfortable doing many things in groups than single men for some complex social reasons. Everything from bathroom trips to shopping to GNO's, there's no male equivalent.

My next life, I'm coming back as a woman. It just looks like more fun...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 5
single gay men like to travel

Amen. And being based in a resort destination, we love 'em. They do spend money...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
  • Author
single gay men like to travel

Why dont straight single men like to travel? I'm just trying to understand.

I think single women are more comfortable doing many things in groups than single men for some complex social reasons. Everything from bathroom trips to shopping to GNO's, there's no male equivalent.

My next life, I'm coming back as a woman. It just looks like more fun...

Mr. Lucky

My theory is the other way round: I think men tend to feel more comfortable traveling by themselves.

• Like 3
My theory is the other way round: I think men tend to feel more comfortable traveling by themselves.

Actually, I think we're in agreement. I was commenting as to why male participation in the OP's "nationwide singles travel group" is so low...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
  • Author

I really don't think it's a social thing. I have read post after post from single men who say they are turned off by women who put in their online dating profile that they like to travel or post pictures of their travels. I think single men don't like to travel as much.

Why dont straight single men like to travel?

I agree that I think they just don't like to travel in groups.

As for single men being turned off by women saying they like to travel in their profiles, I suspect many men fear that a woman who writes that is high maintenance or is looking for a man who will foot the bill for expensive trips. It's not the traveling the men dislike; it's having to pay for it. That is kind of unfair because when I was single & traveled with a BF I always offered & expected to pay my own way.

• Like 1

I think what it must be is more this generational thing of people not wanting to even leave their rooms. But it's not been my experience men of my generation don't like travel. I only like it for leisure and would rather be home with my dogs if they can't go. But my old flame, all he ever did was leave the country and move to one place or another. He's lived in Ukraine, China and Nicaraugua that I know of.

Then my old ex bf that I worked with for a long time and still kind of friends with, he travels all the time for work, has to drive to his main account about once a month that is two states away and has to be in L.A. several times a year, and still travels on his vacations and spring break all over, like NY and UK. See, that is too much for me. He feels lucky to be doing it, but business travel is mostly not for me. I did it for awhile, but once I got a dog, I was over it.

• Like 2

This is a really interesting phenomenon that I'm noticing as well. Not just single men... there are more female travelers than men, period. https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/travel/2016/08/10/most-travelers-today-are-women-and-industry-may-finally-catching/MrBBK7ZqAt13VqT6Kp50PJ/story.html reports:

Nearly two-thirds of travelers today are women, reports the George Washington University School of Business

Indeed most of the people I know IRL who are interested in travel are predominantly women. H is one of the few men I know who's interested, and his desire is not as strong as mine. He likes to do it, but he admits he wouldn't if it weren't for me.

If you ever figure out why, let me know! :p

• Like 1
Kitty Tantrum

I'm probably going to ruffle some feathers by saying this, but I think single women (especially young, childless single women) have a disproportionate amount of freedom and liberation compared to responsibility. They're much more likely than their male counterparts to be traveling on someone else's dime, or to go into debt/fritter away their available resources on travel and experiences - whereas men of the same age and demographic are more likely to buckle down and shovel their time and resources into endeavors that will pay off later.

Access to resources is more "equal" than it's ever been, but men are still held to a higher standard of responsibility. The single men who are investing and socking away resources right now instead of blowing them on life experiences are essentially preparing to compensate for the probability that their future life partners are doing exactly the opposite.

• Like 4
I think single women (especially young, childless single women) have a disproportionate amount of freedom and liberation compared to responsibility. They're much more likely than their male counterparts to be traveling on someone else's dime, or to go into debt/fritter away their available resources on travel and experiences - whereas men of the same age and demographic are more likely to buckle down and shovel their time and resources into endeavors that will pay off later.

Access to resources is more "equal" than it's ever been, but men are still held to a higher standard of responsibility. The single men who are investing and socking away resources right now instead of blowing them on life experiences are essentially preparing to compensate for the probability that their future life partners are doing exactly the opposite.

Yup. My feathers are ruffled.

While women may travel, everyone I know who does, can afford it. The other bills are paid, the retirement is funded & they have buckled down. I know very few single women who travel on somebody else's dime & I consider both of them to be gold-diggers. I do believe that fear of having to fun somebody else's expensive travel habits are why the men in OP's Q's do not like it when a woman says she likes to travel in her OL profile.

I know many men who fritter away their money on stuff: a new truck, a boat, a fancy sports car, a motorcycle, great seats to the game, big TVs, or some other expensive hobby

One gender is no more financially responsible then the another. They spend their money differently.

• Like 5
Eternal Sunshine

My theory is that men are lazy and hate organizing anything. Coupled men have trips organized by their girlfriends.

Left to their own devices, men would sit on the couch, eat cereal for dinner and play computer games all day long. That's why many studies have shown that married men are much happier than single ones. The opposite is true for women.

• Like 2

The group sounds like just the perk for single guys then.

As for me , l've already traveled enough earlier , enough for 5 people,and l've lived all over the country. Ex w and l traveled 13yrs , we wanted to do it while we were young , we stopped early 40s and came back and settled.

So l couldn't careless about traveling anymore now. l still go interstate and small stuff like that with work and l still love road trips but that's all that interests me these days.

Couldn't believe it later when l was single , every women oh l love to travel bla bla bla , yawn.

My gf now is like me , couldn't care less either anymore, she's already traveled a lot too and moved countries.

• Like 1