Stupid question regarding beards

My wife is thinking I look to old with my beard and wants me to shave it off. I actually have more confidence in my day to day life..... although I need to drop around 40 lbs with the beard.

Is being grey/white really that bad at 46.

Happy Lemming

Yes... I tried the goatee (beard) look in my early 40's and A LOT of gray appeared in those beard hairs. I didn't have that much gray in my head hair, but my beard made me look way older than I was (and not in a good way). I shaved it off and have continued to be clean shaven. Your wife may have a point.

Yeah lose the weight and at least the grey and you bet you'll look and feel years younger.

l like beards myself , have had just a goatee years now and l do like the full beard look too but even not grey they do seem to make guys look heaps older that's the main reason l don't have one.

Happy Lemming

Here is the perfect example of too much gray in a beard making you look older than you are. Emmitt Smith is only 49 years old, but that beard makes him look much older, in my opinion.

It really depends what is underneath the beard.

Beards can hide a multiple of sins and if it is a long term beard she may not be too pleased with the face underneath either...

Some men just suit beards, grey or not.

Nothing ages you faster than gray. Look, a beard will grow back if you just can't stand it or she has second thoughts, but shave it ALL off and don't try anything hipster and just see the results. I think beards mostly look gross and don't even look at men who have them. I like to see someone's face, even if it isn't maybe the best face. I want to see their expressions.

I hate beards. I really do. Black, blonde, grey. All of them.

Shaving off a beard often makes you look much younger. I agree in shaving it off.

• Like 1
Nothing ages you faster than gray. Look, a beard will grow back if you just can't stand it or she has second thoughts, but shave it ALL off and don't try anything hipster and just see the results. I think beards mostly look gross and don't even look at men who have them. I like to see someone's face, even if it isn't maybe the best face. I want to see their expressions.

I think there is something that ages people faster than being grey - being overweight or deconditioned. That's pretty extreme that you can't even look at men with beards and call them gross. I guess my father, a retired physician, would have had you fire him as your doctor if he had walked in the room and you couldn't even look at him let alone let him treat you. The OP has a beard so it is a little insensitive to suggest beards look gross. And - having a beard in no way prevents others from seeing their expressions.

When I was really young my dad shaved off his beard once. We (the five siblings) all cried and hated how he looked. He grew it back. :)

My boyfriend (in his 40s) has a closely trimmed beard that has a little grey in it. He looks fantastic but I'm partial to beards. He is very fit so the beard is not hiding anything. To me, fitness is the magic ingredient that keeps people looking good. I don't subscribe to the idea that grey hair looks bad or always ages people. I'm in my 50s and still have dark hair but probably won't dye it when it does go grey.

OP, do what makes you feel best. And no, there is nothing wrong with having a beard and some grey.

Edited by greymatter

I’ve always fancied a bit of grey in a beard - it adds gravitas. Especially if your natural hair colour is meh - it adds some interest.

Some people look better with beards, others less so. It depends on many things - including the type of beard. Is it neatly groomed, or hillbilly? is it close-cropped, or hipster? Etc.

My line manager has a beard - I’ve only ever known him with a beard, but all of his official photos predate the beard. He wears his hair short, and keeps his beard close-cropped and well-groomed, and it makes him look far more interesting than the schoolboy look on the photos.

I think there is something that ages people faster than being grey - being overweight or deconditioned.

I agree, being of an "old" body shape is not good, whether it be too fat or indeed too thin.

Thinness of the scrawny, "elderly", unwell looking type, isn't that attractive either.

• Like 1

Yeah l notice the same on guys , if they lose too much wait they start looking old and frail .

Funny , my gf loves my one pack belly haha, she's always cuddling it and kissing it, it's just a slight belly not some big beer belly.

My wife is thinking I look to old with my beard and wants me to shave it off. I actually have more confidence in my day to day life..... although I need to drop around 40 lbs with the beard.

Is being grey/white really that bad at 46.

Let's see, lose the beard and 40 lbs? Wouldn't it be easier to just lose the wife :)

• Like 2