The new next door neighbor gal

She just moved in a few weeks ago, maybe a month. I met her the first day outside in the driveway as I got home and she walked over to introduce herself. First impressions were: She's cute, very smiley and seemingly happy. We made small talk for a bit then I let her get back to her stuff (her family was helping her move). I've only seen her a couple times since.

Her neighbor on the other side, a guy, was ALL OVER her immediately. I say that because I saw him outside talking to her from almost the moment she arrived, and I think every time I've even seen her he's been out there talking to her, or walking towards her. I haven't even had a chance to approach her where he hasn't been there, save for one time I said a quick hi as I saw her in the driveway as we were both leaving. I do not even know the gal well enough to ask her out. The way the properties are situated, it is more conducive to them running into each other than myself running into her. I only see them if I am leaving in my vehicle in my driveway. I can't see them from inside.

Fast forward to now, it appears they're already together, because I just saw him going into her front door with her. Gee, that was fast. I guess it's "snooze you lose" but I'm really surprised she went for him, and this quickly. I say this because, in all honesty, this guy is just not very attractive at all. I have met him a few times and not only are his looks not something I'd imagine women would be taken by - he's extremely awkward when talking to him. He seems nervous, fidgety, etc. both times we have chatted.

I guess I posted this because after seeing him heading into her place, I've lost interest in asking her out. I usually wouldn't give up this easy, but the fact that we're all neighbors just added some weird vibe to the whole thing.

Edited by Highndry
El Duendecillo

Too close for comfort.. literally.

Never poop where you sleep.

Just a couple of tired old clichés I thought may apply. ;)

Dating a neighbor? I could not imagine doing that, personally. I value my space and privacy, and dating a next door neighbor would make feel like I was losing both.

• Like 2

Good god just go over there with a casserole....she's your neighbor. Stop assuming things...just get in there and start socializing with her.

• Like 2
  • Author
Good god just go over there with a casserole....she's your neighbor. Stop assuming things...just get in there and start socializing with her.

Haha. Normally I'd agree with you but I'm out. I saw them this morning all lovey-dovey, his arm around her on his porch. My attraction to her disappeared instantly. She seems to have low standards because this guy just is not a catch. I can do better.

Haha. Normally I'd agree with you but I'm out. I saw them this morning all lovey-dovey, his arm around her on his porch. My attraction to her disappeared instantly. She seems to have low standards because this guy just is not a catch. I can do better.

Sorry but this sounds like a classic example of sour grapes.

The other proverb that comes to mind is that the early bird gets the worm. Or she'll get his worm.

• Like 3
Mrs._December

NEVER date your neighbor.

EVER.

Because when it goes bad - and chances are extremely high that it will - it's the most uncomfortable situation in the world.

You never **** where you eat. You should know better.

That other neighbor guy did you a huge favor, getting to her first - you just don't realize it yet. The day will come soon enough when this guy will be wishing he hadn't **** in his own backyard.

• Like 3
  • Author
Sorry but this sounds like a classic example of sour grapes.

The other proverb that comes to mind is that the early bird gets the worm. Or she'll get his worm.

You don't have to be sorry, you can think whatever you want. It has absolutely no bearing on how I live my life.

But you're wrong. If the guy was a good-looking dude with a decent personality, I'd feel differently. But having met him I just can't honestly believe she went for this guy. She's got low standards, and I don't date women like that.

Maybe she has a cute sister or friend, so do be polite and neighborly to her, just don't be Pepe LePew like that guy. Just be a nice neighbor. She might have a party and invite you and you'd meet someone there.

• Like 2

they are probably just friends Highndry. why not ask her over for tea & crumpets and find out for sure? I also agree with Mrs. December, don't date a neighour. I did and it didn't turn out too well and I lost some major ca$h.

• Author
Maybe she has a cute sister or friend, so do be polite and neighborly to her, just don't be Pepe LePew like that guy. Just be a nice neighbor. She might have a party and invite you and you'd meet someone there.

Oh, I'll always be cordial and friendly. It's in my demeanor.

I'll have to say that I think this whole development is a good thing. It made me realize I'm ready to start dating again after my disastrous last relationship, which I needed ample time to heal from. But I'm not thinking of my ex anymore. She's history.

• Like 2
Oh, I'll always be cordial and friendly. It's in my demeanor.

I'll have to say that I think this whole development is a good thing. It made me realize I'm ready to start dating again after my disastrous last relationship, which I needed ample time to heal from. But I'm not thinking of my ex anymore. She's history.

that's good to hear Highndry

• Like 1

From what I've experienced when starting a new job, new place to live, etc. I avoid the ones who jump in first to meet you, etc.

While it's not always true they are the ones who after getting to know them you either have nothing in common with or would stay away from.

No harm no foul here.

• Like 1
  • Author
From what I've experienced when starting a new job, new place to live, etc. I avoid the ones who jump in first to meet you, etc.

While it's not always true they are the ones who after getting to know them you either have nothing in common with or would stay away from.

No harm no foul here.

You are absolutely right with this, Marc. More often than not, those first people end up being a problem. I'm not sure why that is.

This whole thing is just weird, the more I think about it. It will be interesting to see how things play out. I will definitely update the thread as things progress.

NEVER date your neighbor.

Amen. I had a short, tumultuous relationship in high school with the girl who's locker was next to mine and that was bad enough. Had to have a friend go by to see where she was before I could even get my stuff.

Can't imagine being nervous to pull into your own driveway...

Mr. Lucky

I agree with the others about NOT getting involved with a neighbor. Way too many ways that could just go wrong.

As to her having low standards, you are basing that (it appears) only on your assessment of his looks and personality - not on his character. Using superficial qualities to judge someone else's standards is being superficial yourself.

Also, you may be misjudging the extent of their relationship.

It's good you see the positive in the experience in that now you know you're ready to date again.

losangelena

Man, I feel kinda bad for your new neighbor that she can’t even get settled into her new home without TWO guys tryna get all over her. Can’t she move in in peace? Sheesh.

To me it sounds like maybe she knew your other neighbor previously? Like smackie said, he’s acted quite confident for someone who is, according to you, awkward and ugly. So perhaps they were already friends? I, too, think you’re relying on a handful of assumptions here.

Man, I feel kinda bad for your new neighbor that she can’t even get settled into her new home without TWO guys tryna get all over her. Can’t she move in in peace? Sheesh.

To me it sounds like maybe she knew your other neighbor previously? Like smackie said, he’s acted quite confident for someone who is, according to you, awkward and ugly. So perhaps they were already friends? I, too, think you’re relying on a handful of assumptions here.

sounds to me like there is some jealousy going on here losangelena

• Author
He's got a lot of confidence for a guy you described as "awkward".

I don't think so. You'd have to see and talk to this guy to understand what I'm talking about.

I agree with the others about NOT getting involved with a neighbor. Way too many ways that could just go wrong.

As to her having low standards, you are basing that (it appears) only on your assessment of his looks and personality - not on his character. Using superficial qualities to judge someone else's standards is being superficial yourself.

Also, you may be misjudging the extent of their relationship.

It's good you see the positive in the experience in that now you know you're ready to date again.

It's impossible to know somebody's character without spending a lot of time with them. In fact, that's what dating's about. Until that point, you make "judgments," for lack of a better term, on what you see and hear initially.

To be fair, I was not "tryna get all over her." In fact, I never made a move period. I don't even know this gal.

sounds to me like there is some jealousy going on here losangelena

You'd be wrong. For me to get "jealous," I'd have to have known a woman a long time, and been pining away for her or something, but this gal is a complete stranger and I don't even know anything about her.

This whole situation has zero effect on me. In fact, the more I think about it, the happier I am that I'm not in his position. It will be interesting to see how "they" play out. Could end up being some neighborhood drama. :lmao: