LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > General Relationship Discussion

Dating a woman who regularly medicates with cannabis?

General Relationship Discussion Everything else under the sun. Not sure where to post? This is the place!

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th February 2019, 3:01 PM   #46
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
I was a hippie pothead and I've done everything in the book -- and that's why I know better than to get overly mixed up with someone who self-medicates themselves on a daily basis with anything the doctor didn't prescribe. Those people are using it as an anesthetic for mental pain, which means they have big issues you don't know about in their past they're just covering up. And someone who uses anything regularly, even alcohol, isn't going to work through those issues and their mental growth is just going to be stunted and stay the same until and unless they stop and face their issues, and even then, they don't just snap into realtime but are like a 40 year old teenager mentally and emotionally. They don't mature properly.

In my mind there was always a big difference between someone who sometimes smoked a joint or took "a" pill and those people who always just stayed f'd up and took a handful. And I wasn't imagining that. It's the difference in recreational mentality and addictive personality and/or just plain lack of common sense.

Tell me, who'd want to keep someone like that and have kids with them? That's when the **** hits the fan. They're not going to just magically stop.
I understand where you're coming from, but also respectfully disagree. It's a common generalization and misconception that weed makes you 'dumber'. My memory (and academic performance at that time) increased 10-fold when I started smoking. I would vape, read a couple chapters than ace a test about those chapters. We have to take into consideration that cannabis (just like alcohol) affects people very differently.

Cannabis doesn't need a piece of paper to say "prescription" for it's medicinal benefits to work. Prescribed or not, the side effects will remain the same. Bare in mind that there are lots of sh*tty doctors out there who misdiagnose and prescribe dangerous pharmaceutical medications that make things worse. A doctor's prescription doesn't justify it's use, and visa versa, benefiting from the medicinal effects aren't less just because the weed isn't prescribed.

I've learned that in the west, good doctors are few and unfortunately we have to make our own decisions when it comes to health. So far, my decision to smoke/vape has given me more benefits and help than any doctor I've ever been to (including psychologists). You're also confusing regular cannabis use with addiction. The two are not the same thing. And yes, when addiction is in the picture, naturally it's wiser to be cautious around such people.

Just my two cents.
Hopeful30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 3:03 PM   #47

I never smoked weed in my life, have no desire too. Many of my close family members and friends do, does not bother me. Currently dating someone who smokes frequently, also does not bother me. I would rather date someone who smokes than drinks frequently. It is all your preference really.
jess060191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 3:10 PM   #48
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful30 View Post
I understand where you're coming from, but also respectfully disagree. It's a common generalization and misconception that weed makes you 'dumber'. My memory (and academic performance at that time) increased 10-fold when I started smoking. I would vape, read a couple chapters than ace a test about those chapters. We have to take into consideration that cannabis (just like alcohol) affects people very differently.

Cannabis doesn't need a piece of paper to say "prescription" for it's medicinal benefits to work. Prescribed or not, the side effects will remain the same. Bare in mind that there are lots of sh*tty doctors out there who misdiagnose and prescribe dangerous pharmaceutical medications that make things worse. A doctor's prescription doesn't justify it's use, and visa versa, benefiting from the medicinal effects aren't less just because the weed isn't prescribed.

I've learned that in the west, good doctors are few and unfortunately we have to make our own decisions when it comes to health. So far, my decision to smoke/vape has given me more benefits and help than any doctor I've ever been to (including psychologists). You're also confusing regular cannabis use with addiction. The two are not the same thing. And yes, when addiction is in the picture, naturally it's wiser to be cautious around such people.

Just my two cents.
I have to disagree. I said nothing about that it made you dumber. I said it stunts your mental/emotional growth when you're doing it for addictive reasons due to emotional pain and that people who do it all the time, that's why.
Old 28th February 2019, 3:15 PM   #49
Established Member

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from, but also respectfully disagree. It's a common generalization and misconception that weed makes you 'dumber'. My memory (and academic performance at that time) increased 10-fold when I started smoking. I would vape, read a couple chapters than ace a test about those chapters. We have to take into consideration that cannabis (just like alcohol) affects people very differently. ...
That's the case for one of my kids and my ex-husband too. They focused retained and analyzed better after smoking pot and were high academic performers. My kid who is like that had been prescribed ritalin and adderall, which are much worse in my opinion, but didn't perform nearly as well on those as she does on pot. Shattered my preconceptions which had really been personal- I'm completely useless if I smoke pot or drink. It is different for everyone.
Tamfana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 3:44 PM   #50
Established Member

I find your justifications with your self-medication more alarming than your daily use of weed, tbh. But Iíll gladly bow out of here. Good luck!
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 4:06 PM   #51
Established Member

I think it would be good for us to not be so quick to generalize each other. I hear good points from the sober and the stoner perspectives and really, it's the choice of the individual on whether or not they are down. I could say that sober people are boring or less productive because in general, I spend a lot of time around highly successful people who reacreationally enjoy a wide range of substances and the sober people I do know tend to be stuck up, boring, and wasting their time trying to do things like climb corporate ladders while my high friends are starting multiple businesses, working multiple jobs, investing in capital, and stacking their chips: legally I might add. However I live in the counter culture so of course that is what I will see. On the contrary, from the perspective of sober people who spend their time around sober people, the non-sober people that are obvious to them might have traits that stand out, which substance usage may be the cause of or the symptom of (I would err on the side of symptom). However, there's lots of drug users that you would never know used drugs unless they told you because they live a very productive and efficient lifestyle. And yes both prescription and recreational drugs can be abused. So something I think we can all learn from this thread is: some people are down and some people are not and I think it would be healthy for all of us to have more of an open mind toward the side that we are not. You never know, one of the best or most loyal people that you ever meet in your life may be across the aisle 😉❤️
Old 28th February 2019, 5:11 PM   #52
Established Member

Quote:
This depends greatly on the person. When I tell others that I smoke regularly, they're actually dumbfounded. My home is always clean and shiny, smells nice, I always look professional and I'm kick ass at my job.
Same. I smoke occasionally, always outside on my patio. Most of my toker friends are serious, clean cut professionals with high-paying jobs. I myself just got a promotion and raise
Ruby Slippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 5:26 PM   #53
Established Member

Quote:
Let's put aside the stigmas and stereotypes for a moment. Assuming you would have no idea she smokes weed unless she tells you (a.k.a it doesn't interfere with her daily functioning), how would you feel about dating a women who regularly smokes/vapes cannabis?
Go for it OP!

In fact, letís all blaze together!

Have a beautiful day my friend.
Old 28th February 2019, 6:18 PM   #54
Established Member

There is another aspect....

I can't speak for everyone, and like I said previously, whatever someone does with their bodies, money and time is their business and that's that...

I dunno....For me, the one's I know that are either smokers, drinkers, recreational drug users seem like they try to escape or 'loosen up" with the assistance of meds, booze, recreational drugs, etc...

That's great for them, but for me, i'd rather be with someone that doesn't need to medicate, drink, whatever to escape life and its varied circumstances...Some pain, stress, and adversity isn't necessarily always bad, and it gives you perspective and makes you stronger..

I'd prefer the type of people who deal with things differently...I "escape" aggravation and stress by exercise, going for a drive in my car, and other things like a walk outside, spending time around my animals, listening to good music, etc..I don't need to "loosen up" by way of a drug....To just get lit doesn't do anything for me, and ive tried just about everything in the past....It's all BS, but that's me...

There is a guy I know who has a good job and a family, but I know he smokes a fair amount of weed..He recently destroyed his wife's new car doing something so friggin stupid a 5 year old wouldn't do it...That's pretty sad, and pretty stupid...And there is no possible way he would have done this if he wasn't stoned...So why anyone would want to deal with that in a partner I have no idea...I can tell you his wife was absolutely furious over it..

TFY

Last edited by thefooloftheyear; 28th February 2019 at 6:22 PM..
thefooloftheyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 7:03 PM   #55
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispytoast View Post
So something I think we can all learn from this thread is: some people are down and some people are not and I think it would be healthy for all of us to have more of an open mind toward the side that we are not. You never know, one of the best or most loyal people that you ever meet in your life may be across the aisle 😉❤️
I see your point but, honestly, Iíve yet to come across anyone who has done drugs of any kind that seem on the ball. They all seem to function in slow motion and screw up their lives at every turn. I think for me, my aversion to drugs is that I donít like anything that leaves me out of control of myself. Not that weed does that but there was a time when I did weed but I stopped because doing it often took the fun out of it. I just felt lethargic and my mind was very foggy. I hated that feeling.

Then you have the guys they interviewed in Colorado who obviously did weed all the time. They looked and sounded like idiots. It actually frightened me to think that people chose to do that to themselves. But if thereís this hip and happening bunch who have way more snap when theyíre on drugs, then more power to them. Itís just not for everyone and not everyone is affected he same way.

I do, however, believe that weed should be legalized in all ways - recreational and medicinal.
bathtub-row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 7:31 PM   #56
Established Member

You used the word 'medicates' in the title, so I'm using it in my answer.

If she uses medicinal cannabis to ease chronic pain, seizures, etc I would have no problem. If she smoked a little now and then I would have no problem. But using for recreation on a daily basis would be a No from me.

You have compared weed use to alcohol in this thread too. I would date someone who enjoys wine with me a few nights per week. But not someone who drinks with the frequency you describe in your original post.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 8:42 PM   #57
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Let's keep to the topic 'how would you feel about dating a women who regularly smokes/vapes cannabis?"

Arguing that pot is better than alcohol is off topic, this thread is pretty narrow in what the thread starter is looking for.

If this thread turns into a debate on pot smokers pushing their agenda vs non pot smokers pushing their agenda I will close it.

Thanks
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 11:00 PM   #58
Established Member

OP, to answer your question, there are a lot of really kind, creative, intelligent, and incredibly talented people who would not judge you for smoking weed. In general, cannabis will be a much smaller determining factor in whether or not someone chooses to date you in comparison to say, being a kind person and possessing rational reasoning skills, or having a path in life. Do your thing, function with integrity, keep your life handled, and be real with people. Always work toward being the most badass version of yourself and most people will not give a flying f*ck whether or not you smoke weed. And the ones who do care? They don't matter. One love

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 28th February 2019 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: removed poke
crispytoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2019, 1:12 AM   #59
Established Member

Quote:
Looks like you guys could benefit from some cannabis You guys feel waaaayyy too uptight hehe
I wonder why you wouldn't simply stick to dating people that felt the same way about daily cannabis use you do?

If I was at Happy Hour every day, wouldn't like my chances in a relationship with a teetotaler...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2019, 6:10 AM   #60
Established Member

Dealbreaker
smiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote