A Long Time

Do you find it takes you a long time to like a guy (or if you're a guy, a girl), and to develop feelings for him?

And if so, do you find guys are not willing to wait and just be friends and develop the relationship you do have?

• Like 1
The Dude Abides

Hello MF

I have had two genuine loves in my life. The first was a beautiful gal while I was in college, and for both of us it was the proverbial "love at first sight". If not for parental meddling, I am quite sure she would have been "the one".

The second was/is Mrs Dude Abides :love: , and for us it wasn't "love at first sight", but it was pretty quick otherwise. I recall I was completely knocked off my game with her, pretty much from the first few dates.

To respond to your question, I am sure that for both these women, I would have waited a long time if they had needed a long time to develop serious feeling for me. I was smitten and would have suffered the whole time if they had been slow.

Thinking back to my younger days, I don't think many of my buddies practiced much patience. If a gal wasn't interested they usually seemed stomach move on (as best as I can recall).

Do you find it takes you a long time to like a guy (or if you're a guy, a girl), and to develop feelings for him?

And if so, do you find guys are not willing to wait and just be friends and develop the relationship you do have?

What do you consider a long time? What do you mean by feelings?

I can 'like' a man very quickly, from the first date. After the date I can't stop thinking about him, and I'm excited to see him again. It sometimes takes a while for the feelings to kick in, 'love' and stronger feelings, say a few months. I don't really know when the feelings are there, but it's more that I come to acknowledge them.

• Author

To respond to your question, I am sure that for both these women, I would have waited a long time if they had needed a long time to develop serious feeling for me. I was smitten and would have suffered the whole time if they had been slow.

Thanks The Dude Abides.

So how long do you think you would've waited? And would you have needed them to tell you that they needed time, or would you have waited anyway?

• Author
What do you consider a long time? What do you mean by feelings?

I can 'like' a man very quickly, from the first date. After the date I can't stop thinking about him, and I'm excited to see him again. It sometimes takes a while for the feelings to kick in, 'love' and stronger feelings, say a few months. I don't really know when the feelings are there, but it's more that I come to acknowledge them.

A long time as in nearly a year.

When you say, "I can 'like' a man very quickly, from the first date. After the date I can't stop thinking about him, and I'm excited to see him again." , can those feelings ever take months?

Hi mf.

lt's not that l wouldn't wait matter of fact l waited 2 yrs for someone and so did she me,

But for feelings to grow, nah.

l knew straight away with her and same with my ex w back when, and so did they me. Of course they grow even more hopefully but they should already be there to start too.

That wasn't why we had to wait 2 yrs .

So me , if she wasn't feeling it day one no l wouldn't wait for feelings because l'd say there'd be something wrong and l would be interested in someone iffy about me/us.

A long time as in nearly a year.

When you say, "I can 'like' a man very quickly, from the first date. After the date I can't stop thinking about him, and I'm excited to see him again." , can those feelings ever take months?

No, it has never been that long for me. Either for a guy to develop feelings for me, or vice versa.

If a man needed that long to decide if he had feelings for me, I would conclude he did not and it's better for me to move on.

When I met my current Girlfriend (Been dating nearly 4 months)

It took me about 2 dates to fancy her.

1st Date Bowling liked her enough for 2nd date

2nd Date she just wowed me

3rd date we became official...

So it depends on the person. You can like the straight after the first date or it can be 2-3 date or more

Everyone is different. For me it's attraction right off the bat. I tried the "Maybe I will develop feelings for them". Never worked and it broke hearts.

The Dude Abides
Thanks The Dude Abides.

So how long do you think you would've waited? And would you have needed them to tell you that they needed time, or would you have waited anyway?

MF,

It's hard to say because this was a long time ago. But I would guess that, as smitten as I was, I wouldn't have been able get through daily life activities:eek: if these ladies hadn't given me the idea that romantic good times were ahead. IOW, if I had no idea from them that they needed time to let things develop, I am certain I would have been out of my mind with uncertainty and a thousand other emotions. Back in my youth this is what we called "a basket case". LOL. And I would have been one. :lmao:

Isn't there such a thing as attraction developing after friendship?

Sometimes, I suppose.

Is this guy your friend? Has he given you any indication he feels more strongly for you?

Popular opinion seems to be that women can develop attraction over time (although I've never had that experience), but men either feel it right up front or not at all.

Who knows.

• Author
Sometimes, I suppose.

Is this guy your friend? Has he given you any indication he feels more strongly for you?

This guy is no longer in my life.

Isn't there such a thing as attraction developing after friendship?

It can happen but it is probably a very small percentage.

If you are depending on that to happen it could be a long and disappointing wait.

When you are friends with someone first getting it to be romantic has so many pitfalls, reasons, and excuses from the people involved it rarely ever happens.

I would not go down this road looking for romance it is usually a losing plan.

I wish you luck

If you're talking about "feelings" and not just attraction.

Generally speaking, when it comes to feelings, men are like light switches and women are like a volume knob.

• Author

Generally speaking, when it comes to feelings, men are like light switches and women are like a volume knob.

Truth in that. ^

"If you're talking about "feelings" and not just attraction." - both.

Olivia_daviss

I personally find that I don't trust a guy in person for a while but when we arent face to face im more willing to open up if a guy isn't willing to go slow for you don't bother with him if he isn't willing to try to be good to you he isn't worth it

Hmmm...well the old fable says that slow and steady win's the race. Old dude up top seems to concur with his current situation bringing him everything he wanted. Let's toast to all of us finding such happiness in love too! Cheers!