Do women date down?

Generally both genders stick to a similar socio economic status. That said, if a person came from low and has worked their way up to middle class, then they will date middle class.

sorry basil 67, I don't agree.

My exH always dated women with a tertiary level of education (I am degree educated) who were independent, had good earning potential amd lived in their own rented flats (apartments)

His AP, who he eventually married, was as thick as a brick, had no qualifications and worked on minimum wage in the production line at the factory that he managed. She lived in her mother's house. :confused:

I don't know why I keep misreading the title of this thread as "do women date clown?"

Obviously some women do date down and more often it is down in the looks department.

• Like 1
littleblackheart

'Dating down' makes it sound deragotary but yes, it's happening more and more with gender equality.

One of my colleagues (mid 30s, PhD, very good job) is marrying her partner, who is a mechanic and earns less than half her wages. He has 2 kids from a previous relationship, that she has taken in as her own. She's paying for the wedding.

I have other examples from real life.

I guess it's highly dependent on where you live?

I did! I’m a therapist (so I have a master’s degree), a well paying job, a nice apartment, etc. My bf is a truck driver and makes less money than me.

I wouldn’t call it dating down, just that I’m the one with the higher education and salary.

"Dating down" sounds awful, but yes - we do ;) My best friend just got enganged to her long time bf. She has a PHD, owns several properties and is very well off financially. Smartest person I know. He's a musician and has the occasional gig in a bar. Doesn't really earn anything but is a really great (handsome *g*) guy who stays at home and takes care of their kid.

I personally wouldn't mind dating a guy with a lower degree or lower salary at all. I like guys with ambitions, but I honestly wouldn't care if his ambition is being the greatest barkeeper in the world or the greatest brain surgeon.

"Dating down" sounds awful, but yes - we do ;) My best friend just got enganged to her long time bf. She has a PHD, owns several properties and is very well off financially. Smartest person I know. He's a musician and has the occasional gig in a bar. Doesn't really earn anything but is a really great (handsome *g*) guy who stays at home and takes care of their kid.

I personally wouldn't mind dating a guy with a lower degree or lower salary at all. I like guys with ambitions, but I honestly wouldn't care if his ambition is being the greatest barkeeper in the world or the greatest brain surgeon.

IDK. I think most women don't "date down." They look for providers for their children. It's genetically wired into them. I never dated down. Pointless really.

I didn't date anyone after my divorce who didn't make a significant amount of money more than me. I have had a higher education (post masters) than many men (not all) I've dated, but they have all been very successful in their careers and made quite a bit more money than me including current bf. Unfortunately in my field, higher education does not equate to high salary.

Honestly, I don't think I would be attracted to someone who didn't share my ambitions and work ethic. It's more about that than the money.

Kitty Tantrum

I wouldn't date down (OR clown :eek:). He has to make more than I do. But I would and I DID refuse to maximize my own educational/earning potential so that I wouldn't have to set my sights too high. :laugh:

But then I'd never consider partnering up with a man who expects me to contribute to the household financially as a matter of course anyway. Won't catch me dead in an egalitarian marriage.

The actual amount of $$$ that a man made wasn't a concern when I was dating.

Level of ambition? Motivation? Drive? Integrity? Fiscal responsiblity?

Yes.

I wanted to be with a man that would do whatever it takes to make sure me/our family would be ok and who wasn't foolish with $.

It wasn't $$$$, it was sense. Money can be spent really quickly and foolishly.

2.50 a gallon

a general rule of Thumb, "Cheaters cheat down"

And it applies to both sexes.

I had a buddy whose wife cheated on him. The OM was an older co-worker, of hers, he was in his 40's and still living with his parents as he did not make enough money to afford his own place, and the little money he had went to drugs. While my friend was a successful architect, and now a days is a millionaire. She left him and the kids and supported this worthless OM.

After the break up of my marriage I swore off of love for a good 14 years. But I did not give up on my sex life. Which over the years included several divorced women, with children.

In most cases they had caught their former husbands with another woman.

One of the husbands I knew slightly as he was a regular at a bar I sometimes attended. What he saw in his OW I could never see, as she was a good 5 years older, and weighed about 160 pounds, she might have weighed more but she had several teeth missing. And when she worked barely made minimum wage.

While the ex-wife was a good looking 35 years old, weighed in at maybe 110 pounds, and great in the sack. She loved sex, including oral and anal.

Edited by 2.50 a gallon
  • Like 1
sorry basil 67, I don't agree.

My exH always dated women with a tertiary level of education (I am degree educated) who were independent, had good earning potential amd lived in their own rented flats (apartments)

His AP, who he eventually married, was as thick as a brick, had no qualifications and worked on minimum wage in the production line at the factory that he managed. She lived in her mother's house. :confused:

Ah, it would seem we interpreted the question differently. You’re thinking of education and where one sits on the ladder now. I was thinking about the background one comes from.

I’m curious to know which one of us interpreted the question correctly

thefooloftheyear

IME, it depends on their age, looks/weight, life situation, etc...as these start to diminish, the normal pre requisites and conditions start to do the same...

I've seen more than my share of tired looking middle aged women who are well educated and pretty successful career wise, with broken down bums for boyfriends...

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear

I've seen more than my share of tired looking middle aged women who are well educated and pretty successful career wise, with broken down bums for boyfriends...

TFY

Of course, if you have little to offer the market, then you may have to date down, but dating fixer uppers can be due to many things, it's often "complicated"...

• Like 1
a general rule of Thumb, "Cheaters cheat down"

And it applies to both sexes.

It's kind of funny you mention this. Last night I ended up going out with a small group of friends and this waitress who I've admired for years happened to be in the group. In fact, she had shot me down a few years back so I thought she was out of my league.

Came to find out she has a boyfriend but was cheating on him with this short, very fat nerdy fella in the group who was being a total insecure cuck the entire night. My mind was blown. How could this goddess who I've been in love with, be cheating with this total dud?

I don't know whether to think less of her, or rethink my entire view on life.

No offense to waitresses but there are a lot of professions that earn more. Like a lot lot more.