What do you think of the saying oppisites attract ?

Serious question , talking real life not flings or just some dating thing, people 40s 50s, anywhere but the real thing, marriages or long term real relationships, real love.

Any thoughts , experience or people you know ?

ln my own experience , we were so alike it was sometimes creepy , but in other ways we were also so completely different people and lifestyles and because of that it just didn't work out.

But l wonder if they do for some and if the saying is talking about real relationships, marriages .

I believe similarities and attraction are what bring people together. People typically don’t get annoyed by traits or hobbies which they share.

I believe couples can have different talents which make them stronger together, but I find the more I have in common with a woman, the better the relationship is. It’s easier and I like easy.

The “opposite” is required in the masculine vs feminine energy. That to me is enough of an opposite to perhaps make the saying true.

• Like 1
somanymistakes

It's just one of those vague overall sayings that will be sometimes true and sometimes not, and mostly just partly true in different ways.

Like, it's often good to pair up with someone who's not EXACTLY like you, so that you have different weaknesses and strengths and you can support each other.

But someone who is too different from you, you won't get along with in the long run, you'll just fight.

The “opposite” is required in the masculine vs feminine energy. That to me is enough of an opposite to perhaps make the saying true.

Gay couples look at you in confusion.

• Like 1

My husband and I are "opposite" in some ways and yet very much alike in others

It just depends on the people and couple.

• Like 2

I think of the Paula Abdul song.

Anyway, I am not sure about this. Some say that you wouldn't want someone who has all the same interests as you, but then you have the part about meeting someone who is the polar opposite. I don't think it works. I think I would rather have common ground with someone.

My husband and I are "opposite" in some ways and yet very much alike in others

Agreed, and the "opposites" factor is a part of both the attraction and potential for disagreement. My wife has strengths I don't which I find very appealing combined with beliefs I don't share which can be frustrating.

Two sides to each part of it...

Mr. Lucky

• Author

Thanks for the thoughts people appreciated.

Unfortunately l do still think about it and wonder what ifs .

You know , that sayings be around as long as l can remember, l'm 50s.

But for us it was the kind of opposite that made some kinda happy on both sides meeting in the middle lifestyle near impossible.

So l guess if there is anything in the saying and something that's been around that long you would think would have to have something, it all depends on what kind of opposites.

I say that my husband and I fit together like a jigsaw. We both provide things the other doesn't have.

I'm a do-er and he's not so much. For example, I'm the one who gets the car serviced and holidays booked and appointments made. When I met him he was driving a car with a failing clutch. He didn't care. Even recently, when another clutch died, he didn't think to tell me, so it was up to me to 'discover' and limp the car to the mechanics with a cabin full of burned clutch smell. But on the other side, he slows down my impulsiveness and has saved me from myself more than once.

He's extrovert and I'm introvert. He brings me out for a good time when I may otherwise stay alone. But he also understands when I skip events because there's been too many recently.

He loves sport and I love the domestic arts. Our hobbies certainly don't meet, but we have plenty of other things to talk about.

But the important thing is that we do align when it comes to morals and ethics.

• Like 2

With successful couples I know that appear to be opposites, when you get to know them better, you find they're actually peas of a pod.

• Like 1

At first glance my husband and I are opposites. He is a homebody, easy tempered, introvert (but does okay in setting where there is a lot of people), and enjoys watching sports to name a few. For me, I'm outgoing, love to go out and do things, I'm sarcastic, no-nonsense, and not big on sports. I wouldn't consider myself a homebody. While I do like to settle down at home, I rarely spend a whole day at home, without going somewhere, even if it's to the grocery store to get milk. I think our differences make us unique but we are also similar in a lot of waves. We both have high sex drives, we like to have discussions, we both like to watch comedy, and don't like arguments, which in itself is both a good and bad thing. Most of the time, we can work through disagreements. But we have had a few arguments where get out of hand (not violent) that we shut each other out and it really never gets resolved.

It always worked for me physically. I'm blond and didn't go for blond guys, always preferring the dark-haired ones. Personality-wise, we're quite similar though and now that I'm dating someone as weird as I am, I can see the benefit of being two birds of a feather. :)

• Author

Funny you say that elkay.

After divorce l met someone, very special but very opposite , and my lifestyle and weirdness was a pretty big issue for her.

Anyway , that didn't work out in the end but sometime later l met my now gf and guess what, to her l'm not weird at all and she absolutely loves my lifestyle too, and we're just weird together, which is our perfectly normal.

Or something like that :bunny:

So l hear ya.

Edited by chillii