Honeymoon Period

How long dose the honeymoon period last in a new relationship?

Do people fade away after that period?

Just wondering that’s all

Everyone has some degree of the honeymoon period. For me it was 6 months on my last relationship. It takes maturity to keep the relationship strong after that and not just chase the next tail that walks by.

Most relationships don't fail just because of the honeymoon period. You have only to read the breakup/ divorce section to see that they fail because one person thinks the other person is missing something crucial they failed to see while dating, or because of money, or because of abuse, or because of failing to resolve conflicts, I could go on and on.

Everyone will get a little tired of their spouse, because you will eventually know almost everything there is to know about your spouse if you live with them every day. It's up to the disciplined couple to keep up the romance in the face of all the asteroids the universe throws at that marriage. Marriage is like an open field where you need to grow a tree. The tree doesn't come free.

I've been married over 20 years, but we never really had the "honeymoon period", as our first year was a mess due to reasons well beyond our control. We've steadily built a strong and loving connection, although there have been bumps along the way.

Our relationship has always been kind of weird, right from the start. We got engaged a couple of days after meeting in university, and have been together ever since.

I don't know if it's helpful to you, op or not, but for us, not having the honeymoon period was actually a good thing. The intense infatuation wasn't there, but in my experience, that never really lasts very long anyway. It dissipates the more you learn about who a person really is on a day in, day out basis. Love built based upon experience with a person is so much stronger.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Your millage may vary.

Depends what you identify as 'honeymoon' phase? To me infatuation isn't honeymoon and isn't chemistry, to me infatuation is an addiction and it rarely last once the butterflies have settled down. The reason is infatuation is based on sexual attraction and it blinds you to make good sounded choice like picking a partner that is caring, empathetic, compatible. Everything is about getting a rush of adrenaline. It mostly starts on a high and slowly goes down.

When I met my bf I did not go through an infatuation phase. I fell in love over the course of a few months by getting to know him. Each time I met him I was amazed by his qualities, personality and empathy, it built on a low and built up. Even though I was not infatutated I did go through a honeymoon phase and we are still in it after 3 years. The honeymoon phase for me is that phase where you'd do anything to be togeher and we're still very much in it. I see his flaws, he sees mine but there is 0 disapppointment only acceptance.

I think several factors can affect how long the honeymoon period lasts. If you don't live together and see each other no more than a couple of times a week it will last much longer - essentially dating rather than married. There are several factors:

1) when you see each other less often you have time to miss each other, look forward to seeing each other and get excited to see each other.

2) you make an effort to look nice, be on your best behaviour and spend quality time together

3) you don't notice their annoying habits as much because you don't have to put up with them 24/7

4) not living together you don't have to argue about housework, finances, how to raise the kids etc

After my friend's marriage died she decided not living with her boyfriend was ideal. They just spend the weekend together. After 20 years they are still in the 'honeymoon' phase of excitement.

Of course, most people do want to live together and have children. In that case you need to make conscious efforts to keep the spark alive. You can't be on your best behaviour all the time though.