sarcastic sense of humour ??

I've seen people describe themselves as having a sarcastic sense of humour. But my only experience with sarcasm is that it's a nasty dig at someone else. In what ways can sarcasm be funny?

• Like 1
In what ways can sarcasm be funny?

If there is no victim. If used to express a shared view of all the audience of something external.

Sarcasm is called the 'lowest form of humour' as it doesn't usually require much wit to be sarcastic.

In what ways can sarcasm be funny?

Boy, we often kid our family is bilingual, sarcasm being our second language.

I've found it's a type of humor that either appeals or it doesn't, there's no right or wrong here. My DIL, great mom to my grandkids and a very intelligent person, simply doesn't understand sarcasm, ironic since my son has a wildly subversive sense of humor. We have to be careful around her for that very reason.

I see sarcasm as making fun of life's foibles rather than being mean spirited and many of our comments are tempered with self-deprecation. Having grown up in a home where this was the norm and being immediately attracted to this quality in my wife, can't imagine any other way.

But I do understand your question, some people simply aren't this way...

Mr. Lucky

I've seen people describe themselves as having a sarcastic sense of humour. But my only experience with sarcasm is that it's a nasty dig at someone else. In what ways can sarcasm be funny?

I'm probably not answering your question. But I'll share my experience.

I would say that 99.99% of the population doesn't like sarcasm nor views it as a an acceptable form of humor, especially between strangers.

I use it sometimes to make a point, but in no way do I mean it maliciously.

Although, the vast majority who I share it with don't like it and see it -- as you say -- as a dig at them. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've been misunderstood or viewed as a jerk for having used it.

• Like 1
  • Author

Ah, yes - I am literal to a fault....which would go towards me not understanding it.

My ex-h would do sarcasm, but with a regular tone of voice so that I couldn't pick it up. Was his way normal or weird?

Eternal Sunshine

I am sarcastic and love this in others. I am only sarcastic with people I am comfortable with and like. Actually, the more polite I am with someone, the less I like them.

I need this in a partner and even in friends. I get easily bored when the conversation is only literal.

However, there were times when sarcasm crosses into meanness and I can easily, intuitively detect it.

• Like 1

Sarcasm can be funny if she's hot enough. I remember how in college there was this girl who was pretty nasty to every girl, because of how arrogant she was, but she was hot and I was hitting it so I didn't care and I found everything she said, including her heavy sarcasm when she was talking to girls to be funny lol.

My ex-h would do sarcasm, but with a regular tone of voice so that I couldn't pick it up. Was his way normal or weird?
His way of doing it is best (for those who want to, or feel the need to, do it)...so that he can always feign 'innocence' or 'benign intention' when he gets called out.

But, the dictionary-definition of sarcasm includes, "to mock or convey contempt" -- and, if somebody can say that they honestly think or feel that that is acceptable or okay to do to another person

(or group of people)...then...???

• Like 1
If there is no victim. If used to express a shared view of all the audience of something external.

Sarcasm is called the 'lowest form of humour' as it doesn't usually require much wit to be sarcastic.

Actually sarcastic people are often quite witty and very intelligent people. But l'd say it's called the lowest form more because it is often a low blow with a bit of a snarl about it , or at someone else's expense .

Can't stand it in people myself .

• Like 1
But l'd say it's called the lowest form more because it is often a low blow with a bit of a snarl about it , or at someone else's expense .

I would consider that more snark than sarcasm. And like humor in general, there's different flavors of sarcasm, much of it not necessarily mean-spirited.

The butler in "Arthur" is one example that comes to mind...

Mr. Lucky

Actually sarcastic people are often quite witty and very intelligent people. But l'd say it's called the lowest form more because it is often a low blow with a bit of a snarl about it ,

or at someone else's expense .

All of that! :). I used to be extremely 'good' at being extremely sarcastic. It does take sharp wit and all of that...but it also does take a very mean spirit...which usually is one

that feels extremely injured, or at risk, or under attack. Those types of feelings can be overcome, though. I have learned to use my wit and intelligence in better and more constructive ways. Yeah!!! Right? :bunny:

Extremely valuable post, basil67! Thanks.

• Like 1

I get what you are saying but I didn't mean that people who use sarcasm are not smart or intelligent or witty... but just that sarcasm is an easy/lazy form of humor to use.

I enjoy sarcasm, I use it... But it can be used passive aggressively and that's not often funny to the one on the receiving end.

Actually sarcastic people are often quite witty and very intelligent people. But l'd say it's called the lowest form more because it is often a low blow with a bit of a snarl about it , or at someone else's expense .

Yes, that's what I meant by my post but it wasn't clear.

I don't think people who use sarcasm are not witty or smart, just that I find it a lazy or easy form of humor ....and not always actually humor, just a thinly veiled dig at someone.

I get what you are saying but I didn't mean that people who use sarcasm are not smart or intelligent or witty...

Yes, that's what I meant by my post but it wasn't clear.

Million.to.1, this is exactly part of what I had to look at, within myself. If we need to spend additional time and Energy to explain what we meant in the first place,

then we are the ones who didn't do a good job of expressing ourselves and our opinions, in the first place.

You may not be interested, right now, in hearing this. I get that. But still...it's okay if we decide to first sort out our own thoughts before we share them with others.

For me...that is difficult to do...because I'm witty, intelligent and all of that, :laugh: - but, if we really think about 'sarcasm' in particular, is there ever a situation

where it is not just lazy and/or passive-aggressive? (Not that you are being that here; only that this is such an excellent opportunity for both of us, and all of us, to take a look at it. Thanks, basil67!)

• Like 1

I find most sarcastic people toxic, but I can be sarcastic too, but it's never directed at anyone in particular but at life in general. If it comes out of your mouth, it was in your brain first so you thought it and you can't just say you're being sarcastic (or my least favorite, ironic) and expect for it to be overlooked.

Wit is much more becoming if you can muster it.

• Like 2

l'm still training , even though l despise it , go figure.

But when l run out of patience or say to me something is just so damn obvious , l sorta tend to just get sick of the bs and throw the obvious out there in a could've maybe been in a nicer tone way,

Impatience is a killer to beat.

• Like 2

Sarcasm linked to creativity. Great. But the argument most are putting forward is more that it's *less* creative/imaginative than other forms of humour. Not to mention more negative. It's better than no humour, but it's low hanging-fruit.

• Like 1
Ah, yes - I am literal to a fault....which would go towards me not understanding it.

My son does the same, his conversations are dripped with sarcasm and he is on the spectrum. I am more like you, straightforward, so I tell him that his point becomes exhausting when it is always cloaked. Lol, he's a beautiful soul and smart as a whip.

It isn't that I don't get it but life's too short for so much conversational gymnastics.