Don't models in their mid 20's know that their time is limited?

My former hairdresser who is 27 is a "professional" model -like she does photoshoots, does the whole instagram sexy photos-even moved to the west coast to make a career out of that. She's single and claims that she doesn't need a man, wants her freedom or what not, she travels with friends, etc, etc. And I'm thinking, well, shouldn't see be looking for a man at least someone who is like 7-10 years older than her and think about settling down. She's not going to look like that forever-and what's going to happen to her when she hits 37? Don't models have some retirement age at 30? I mean by then, I would think no one wants to hire a 35 year old model, I think she will have stiff competition seeing that their will always be younger hotter women competing against the "older" models. And in that industry men will want younger women. I just think its a shame that all these 25 year old models don't want to at least find a man and have a baby -wouldn't they want their attractive genes passed down? Its like how long will they keep posting these sexy photos-until they are 40???

Not everybody wants to have a baby and settle down. some people feel like they have better things to do. Sounds like she's living a great life. She has a career to go back to once she can't model anymore that she could even do and model at the same time, so it sounds like she sent to me. There's more to life than just settling down and popping out babies for a lot of people.

I don't follow the fashion industry all that closely, but you will be surprised how long models end up doing actual modelling for, especially if they age well. And even so, once they have some level of fame they end up getting enough gigs being "ambassadors" for organisations/companies to live a very comfortable life. By that point, sure the looks may have faded a little but the name sticks, and a lot of former models know this and market themselves well as a result.

Aside from that, I completely agree with preraph's post. Why should models in particular be expected to become a baby maker for an older man by a certain age? Even if a modelling career falls through, there are plenty of other options for a 20-something year old other than marriage and kids.

• Like 2

She could always go back to hairdressing. Or refocus on a different type of career or marketing...perhaps products for older women. Plenty of people completely change careers more than once. I wouldn't worry about her.

Regarding her needing a man - I think you're projecting somewhat.

• Like 6

Regarding her needing a man - I think you're projecting somewhat.

Somewhat? A lot.

OP, live your life and let other people take care of themselves... Trust me. You will be much happier.

• Like 6

Seen plenty of adult children of really attractive people who have me thinking they were adopted. Genetics are crapshoot and looks are a part of that. Being beautiful is no guarantee of having beautiful children.

As far as age, IDK, I have newspaper clippings of my mom modeling well into her 30's, even after she got married. She bought and sold clothes and modeled women's clothes for a regional clothier in the 1950's. I found modeling shoots all the way back into the 40's when she was building airplanes during the war. Found herself a good guy to marry and stayed with him for life. Got married at 33 after a pretty adventurous single life from what I could glean from clippings, pictures and letters and such.

I trust women now, models included, have far more options than 60-70 years ago.

• Like 1

She's probably just enjoying the ride atm it's hardly time to panic yet.

Besides , l think models can go on much later than that these days and yep , 40's quite possible actually.

wouldn't they want their attractive genes passed down?

I missed this earlier.

Dodgersfan, passing down one's beauty genes has to be one of the worst reasons to have a child.

• Like 5
. And I'm thinking, well, shouldn't see be looking for a man at least someone who is like 7-10 years older than her and think about settling down.

Why so old?

Not everyone wants babies and why do you care anyway? She sounds like she is having a great life, why would she swap that for dirty nappies and no sleep...

Many careers are limited and people just change career if it is no longer working for them. She'll be fine.

Spend your time sorting you own life out.

• Like 4

I think her attitude is wonderful. Good for her for focusing on her personal goals, friendships, and traveling without needing a man. She sounds confident and self-assured...what all women need to be. Not everyone needs to settle down with a man and have children to be happy. If she wants, she can find a man at any age....us 40+ year old women have had no problem finding a good man.

Pass down her attractive genes? Is that what you think society values most? :rolleyes:

OP, I think you need to focus on your own life rather than everyone else's life and do some self-reflection.

• Like 2

I know models well into their 40's and 50's...

A true model just changes as she ages, there is always a need for models of all ages, including seniors..

A model who is hot in her 20's can be hot in her 30's and so on....

I work in an industry that allows me to work on models images daily and have seen the same models used many times for a decade or longer..

Retouching also can change a models career...taking 10 years off a model isn't that hard being that each and every photo is retouched and changed.

Your friend seems like she is just living life.. good for her.. she might find herself a successful model even later in life so this idea that there is an expiration date on her career because of her looks is just bunk

• Like 3
Sounds like OP is upset because she is not interested in him...

OP is a 36 yo single female.

Hence, I guess, the projection

She's not going to look like that forever-and what's going to happen to her when she hits 37?
  • Like 2
My former hairdresser who is 27 is a "professional" model -like she does photoshoots, does the whole instagram sexy photos-even moved to the west coast to make a career out of that. She's single and claims that she doesn't need a man, wants her freedom or what not, she travels with friends, etc, etc. And I'm thinking, well, shouldn't see be looking for a man at least someone who is like 7-10 years older than her and think about settling down. She's not going to look like that forever-and what's going to happen to her when she hits 37? Don't models have some retirement age at 30? I mean by then, I would think no one wants to hire a 35 year old model, I think she will have stiff competition seeing that their will always be younger hotter women competing against the "older" models. And in that industry men will want younger women. I just think its a shame that all these 25 year old models don't want to at least find a man and have a baby -wouldn't they want their attractive genes passed down? Its like how long will they keep posting these sexy photos-until they are 40???

I'm sure she's aware of the time limit on being a model as most of them are. There is a rise of older models still working. Models still look good when they age if they take care of themselves and shouldn't have a problem finding a mate if that is what she wants. Most get married to rich men before they age. Who is to say they all want a husband and kids? Times are a changin.

• Like 1

Seriously?

A woman, or any person for that matter who prioritizes being married and having a family over their career or independence is going to do that. The world is full of people who choose to spend their younger years traveling, climbing the corporate ladder, going to med school and starting their practice, etc. etc. etc. A person gifted with beautiful looks is not different. She's doing what she wants with her life just like I hope you are.

I doubt that your ex hairdresser is worried about how she is misusing her beauty by modeling rather than snagging a man.

Also, having children for the purpose of creating attractive people? Well, maybe in Hitler's Germany.

• Like 6
MountainGirl111

Take heart, OP. We are seeing more and more "older" models now than ever.

The concept of how well women age has changed and continues to change. The concept of how old a women needs to be to have babies has also changed as we're seeing more and more women wait to start a family. And, when a woman wants babies she is not generally thinking about "passing on her genes". C'mon....

Women can age well. It's not just men who can age well. So take heart you are not past your prime.

Is the modeling industry fickle? I suppose. Fame is also fickle. I remember Cher saying in an interview that she has been on so many "in" and "out" lists over the course of her career....It's all fickle.

My advice: Stick with things that are NOT fickle. Stick with things that don't just change with the seasons. Things that last; things with staying power. Be careful what/who you invest your time in.

Hair dressers can be fickle too....but then again, their clients can be VERY fickle. Styles changes; whims change.

Edited by MountainGirl111
  • Author

I just look at models from the 80's for example who were at their "prime." They were gorgeous back in the days and currently would make them at least mid 50's now, and alot of them aged, which happens, I mean, and some who hit 40 start using botox and the surgery starts coming in. I just think my former hairdresser and all those instagram models should at least start looking for a man to settle while they are still in their prime, because as they age as any women hits 35 they won't have alot of options left.

I just look at models from the 80's for example who were at their "prime." They were gorgeous back in the days and currently would make them at least mid 50's now, and alot of them aged, which happens, I mean, and some who hit 40 start using botox and the surgery starts coming in. I just think my former hairdresser and all those instagram models should at least start looking for a man to settle while they are still in their prime, because as they age as any women hits 35 they won't have alot of options left.

You’re joking, right?

Why does a woman need to “settle down?”

• Like 3

A 20-year old model doesn't need to worry too much about time and shouldn't be focusing on the end. She should be enjoying the now and appreciating it while she has it. That being said, if she takes care of herself and appreciates her beauty now, she will grow old with dignity and grace and age beautifully. You would be lucky to be with a woman who is as beautiful in her "twilight" years as she is in the "dawn" of her life.

• Like 1
A 20-year old model doesn't need to worry too much about time and shouldn't be focusing on the end. She should be enjoying the now and appreciating it while she has it. That being said, if she takes care of herself and appreciates her beauty now, she will grow old with dignity and grace and age beautifully. You would be lucky to be with a woman who is as beautiful in her "twilight" years as she is in the "dawn" of her life.

And anyway, there’s more to life than looking good and being beautiful. Let’s all stop drinking the koolaid.

• Like 5

top models are too busy throwing up and doing cocaine to worry about what they'll look like in 10 years

• Like 3

Wow. You must be kidding. I'm 48 and have never had botox or surgery. I look pretty damn good for my age. After my divorce and before meeting my bf (who is 10 years younger btw), I never had problems getting a date or meeting men. I had plenty of options and feel pretty confident I still would if I were single again.

OP, you need to mind your own business and tend to your own garden. I'm sorry you're so unhappy with your life.

• Like 5
MountainGirl111

This is a rather bleak outlook to have on life. I hope you start to feel more positive about your future, hon. Each of us is one day older every single day. While I agree people shouldn't put all their stock in looks...I don't agree that there are "little options left" for women over 35. I know of several women, for example who started their careers in their '40's. I don't know if by options you are talking available men or just life options in general. As for available men...again...try to stay positive. Many women have no problems finding a mate on into their '30's...or by the time they are 35 they have divorced their first husband and remarried to a second husband. The ones I know didn't have any trouble at all finding another man.

As for those 80s supermodels. Many of them have aged very well and still look amazing.

• Like 1