Netflix and Chill?

How did this become a trend in the first place? Who came up with that phrase? What is the world coming to?

And why do people go for that, anyway? Can't one watch Netflix at home, if one has it? And what's so special about "chilling"? Is the host, be it a he or a she fancy themselves entertaining stand-up comedians, philosophers, poets, magicians, legendary guitar players?

Netflix and chill is an easy way for one person to end up at the other's place for what one or both hope is sex. Without having to spend a fortune going out on an actual date, or having to interact with other people (because people seem to not like other people all that much these days).

• Like 1

A euphemism that allows the female to preserve plausible deniability of prior intent to fornicate. "I thought we were actually going to watch a movie, but I ended up being seduced. I am virtuous –– this is so not my fault."

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure Netflix could come up with a dating feature to their TV app. It would surely work great.

Yes, Netflix and chill is just the cheap way to avoid a pricey date outside and hoping to get laid by starting cuddling on the couch.

• Like 2
How did this become a trend in the first place? Who came up with that phrase? What is the world coming to?

And why do people go for that, anyway? Can't one watch Netflix at home, if one has it? And what's so special about "chilling"? Is the host, be it a he or a she fancy themselves entertaining stand-up comedians, philosophers, poets, magicians, legendary guitar players?

Not much to say to this about it's the way of life for most people here in USA.

Where OTA, CATV, SATV lacks in not allowing you to record without a TiVo or DVR. You can use the internet to stream movies to your Smart TV, Smart Phone, Roku device.

You make some popcorn, you select the movie genre you want to watch and then you chill (relax) to enjoy it. With yourself or your friend, gf, finance or wife.

In a LTR, inevitably there will be nights when you're doing just that together. As much as we all like to be doing extremely exciting stuff all the time, unfortunately in real life work, tiredness, and finances sometimes get in the way of that. ;)

In early stages of dating? Just comes across as lazy to me, personally. Or a way of avoiding any expenditure, of both money and effort.

• Like 3
In a LTR, inevitably there will be nights when you're doing just that together. As much as we all like to be doing extremely exciting stuff all the time, unfortunately in real life work, tiredness, and finances sometimes get in the way of that. ;)

In early stages of dating? Just comes across as lazy to me, personally. Or a way of avoiding any expenditure, of both money and effort.

True on both paragraphs. I’ve been in a few one night stands before that Netflix era and even then it required minimal efforts (going outside, spending money and having to chat up some girl).

I’m beginning to enter this LTR phase with my current girl and of course we “Netflix and chill” now like many.

In a Friend with benefits situation it’s also a great and lazy way to provide entertainment before going at it.

In the early stage of what should be a relationship? It sounds very cheap and lazy.

• Like 1

It means sex.

I don't deal with men who invite me over to talk, cook, watch a movie, etc.

That's an automatic doc for me. I need a man who is a man of his word. We're grown, if he wants sex, he should be honest. If he's not brave enough yo be honest, he's not for me.

Imo it's stupid, presumptuous, and sometimes dangerous.

• Like 1
It's been a thing since forever.

Remember, drive in movies?

At the drive in near where i grew up, people went to drink and make out. Mostly, they drank.

I never knew what it meant until reading the actual meaning online, how sad. I actually thought it meant hanging out with friends and relaxing watching a movie, or alone..never even assumed it had any sexual connotation.

It's the lazy cheapskate's way of finding sex. Some idiots were actually going for it when it became trendy, but I think most women are onto it by now.

That said, Netflix and chill is ideal for couples who have been dating long enough that the woman knows he's not just lazy and cheap. I know, it's ironic, but once she determines you are not lazy and cheap, she, indeed, may become lazy and cheap herself and stay in with you.

A euphemism that allows the female to preserve plausible deniability of prior intent to fornicate. "I thought we were actually going to watch a movie, but I ended up being seduced. I am virtuous –– this is so not my fault."

Yep. Netflix and chill is just an updated version of "movie and pizza at my place." Back when I was dating around, it was my favorite go-to method. Even easier if the TV is located in the bedroom. Twenty minutes into the film....hands in her pants. :laugh:

It's definitely nothing new. Before it was more like video cassette and chill or tv movie and chill, but those didn't sound cool and almost no one has cassettes or paid tv subscriptions anymore... :p

• Like 1
It means sex.

I don't deal with men who invite me over to talk, cook, watch a movie, etc.

That's an automatic doc for me. I need a man who is a man of his word. We're grown, if he wants sex, he should be honest. If he's not brave enough yo be honest, he's not for me.

Imo it's stupid, presumptuous, and sometimes dangerous.

It's not a matter of bravery. Many women do not respond positively to direct invitations for sex, even if they are interested. The are more likely to respond positively to an indirect invitation, despite knowing the true meaning. I used to be more direct before an older FWB explained to me that I shouldn't do that.

With one single exception, all of the invitations I've had from women for sex were indirect. I'm over four years into my current relationship and my girlfriend still uses: "Want to come over and watch a movie?"

I'm curious. When you invite a man over for sex, what words do you use?

I never knew what it meant until reading the actual meaning online, how sad. I actually thought it meant hanging out with friends and relaxing watching a movie, or alone..never even assumed it had any sexual connotation.

I’ve never even heard the term but when I read the title of this thread, I thought the same thing you did. ?

• Like 2

It seems to have come to mean a euphemism for a cheap date followed by sex but actually it is often a better way to relax and get to know a date. Having been out on 'dates', it is often in a noisy pub, restaurant or cinema, can be chilly at times (in winter), hard to hear each other above the din, no privacy to talk about deeper things. It is so much nicer watching a film with a friend and being able to keep warm and talk to each other without interruption. That this relaxed situation often leads to sex is probably a natural result of feeling at ease with each other (assuming there is no pressure).

Having said the above, if it was a first date or a few dates later, I would not go with Netflix and chill every time. On a first date, it is much too soon and gives a guy the wrong impression. Later, I do think both should have other kinds of dates as well, otherwise it can turn into nothing but cheap dates and sex.

Edited by spiderowl
It's not a matter of bravery. Many women do not respond positively to direct invitations for sex, even if they are interested. The are more likely to respond positively to an indirect invitation, despite knowing the true meaning. I used to be more direct before an older FWB explained to me that I shouldn't do that.

With one single exception, all of the invitations I've had from women for sex were indirect. I'm over four years into my current relationship and my girlfriend still uses: "Want to come over and watch a movie?"

I'm curious. When you invite a man over for sex, what words do you use?

Well, ive had guys be honest with me. Thats what i prefer. Maybe that was the benefit of dealing with alpha males.

I've had guys invite me over to watch a movie then get mad when I wanted to watch the movie. There's no point to getting angry when he offered to watch a movie with me.

Being alone with a man doesn't make me want him sexually.

I never had to invite a man over for sex or flirt with one. Guys seem to assume that being alone with them somewhere means you want sex. I guess if I wanted to express that interest in a man, I'd be flirty and tell him I wanted sex.

• Like 1
It's been a thing since forever.

Remember, drive in movies?

Ditto.

There is nothing new under the sun. Before Netflix/streaming services people would VHS and chill, dvd and chill, drive in movie and fool around etc. We have a clever phrase for it now but the concept isn't new --- a casual dating scenario where you put yourself in an easy and convenient position to have a sexual encounter with the person you invited over.

Nothing is wrong with it when you know what you're getting into and I think by now most people agreeing to "Netflix and chill" are probably interested in what it implies. Although, consent is necessary regardless, and you shouldn't push sex or push up on someone without them agreeing explicitly to it. That said, I declined all Netflix and chill or come to my home dates with people I don't know. It's not my speed, although if I wanted to hookup I would accept the invitation.

Well, ive had guys be honest with me. Thats what i prefer.
This seems like a good question for a poll. I wonder how many women prefer "want to come over and bang" instead of "want to come over and watch a movie". While you may prefer direct, the vast majority of women I've been with prefer indirect. I'll start a thread on it.
I've had guys invite me over to watch a movie then get mad when I wanted to watch the movie. There's no point to getting angry when he offered to watch a movie with me.
I've had a woman invite me over to watch a movie and then get frustrated when I just watched the movie and didn't make a move. This was before I understood what "want to come over and watch a movie" meant.
This seems like a good question for a poll. I wonder how many women prefer "want to come over and bang" instead of "want to come over and watch a movie". While you may prefer direct, the vast majority of women I've been with prefer indirect. I'll start a thread on it.I've had a woman invite me over to watch a movie and then get frustrated when I just watched the movie and didn't make a move. This was before I understood what "want to come over and watch a movie" meant.

One doesn't have to say,"Hey, wanna bang?" Someone can be honest and flirty. So many guys in my experience dont test the waters first by flirting. I've had guys come ast my strong and then I rejected them. It wasn't because of their honesty. It was because I wasn't attracted to them in that way.

I figured guys try that line on me bc they're unsure of how I feel. Or have some fantasy.

It's more dangerous for women dealing with men. It can be flat out scary, btdt.

I’ve never even heard the term but when I read the title of this thread, I thought the same thing you did. ?

Me too...

Not sure this is as universal as some people think...

I am really curious could someone do a poll?

I think that regardless of any poll results, I would stick with just inviting women over to watch a movie. It's just a far better way to handle things.
Of course. I have no intention of changing my approach, especially since I'm with a woman who prefers and uses indirect invitations. I'm just genuinely curious as to what other women prefer.

I created this thread, but I've only received one female response.

Actually I meant a poll regarding whether one thought the phrase "Netflix and chill" implied any sexual connotations...