How do I surprise my girlfriend on her birthday?

My girlfriend is turning 23 next week. Her family is throwing a big party for her and invited some of her closest friends. They plan on surprising her and of course, I’m part of the act. I haven’t bought anything for her yet, since I’m also busy planning for my own birthday surprise for her. I have read a lot of suggestions in a foreign dating blog but nothing that was stated there really stood out for me. I want it to be a special and memorable day for her. How can I do this? Any ideas? Thanks!

If this is your 1st birthday together, don't go over board. You don't want something you can't top for the holidays, next year or a big birthday.

Think of something she likes or needs & get her a present. Pick out a thoughtful card & all will be fine.

If you're going to make her or give her something that's so grand and impressive, then how far will you be able to go next time? You've already reached the ceiling. How will you top that?

My girlfriend is turning 23 next week. Her family is throwing a big party for her and invited some of her closest friends. They plan on surprising her and of course, I’m part of the act. I haven’t bought anything for her yet, since I’m also busy planning for my own birthday surprise for her. I have read a lot of suggestions in a foreign dating blog but nothing that was stated there really stood out for me. I want it to be a special and memorable day for her. How can I do this? Any ideas? Thanks!

You haven't been paying attention to what she tells you she wants while your with her in person? Think back to what you two talk about it could be anything out of the blue. Now you have to struggle to figure what to get her.

Why are you reading suggestions in a "foreign dating blog"? Is your relationship multicultural?

Anyway, it really depends on your culture, but in mine, the guy usually takes the girl out for a nice dinner, gets her a cake/chocolate/some sort of dessert, and buys her a gift (type of gift depends on the girl's preferences, obviously).

Would depend on her tastes and what she enjoys, which we wouldn't know about at all... so on the safe side, I would say a nice but not too expensive piece of jewelry, earrings or a necklace. Or perhaps an item you heard her mention before but never bought for herself.

If she’s somewhat low-key, two surprise parties may get on her nerves. What’s wrong with a nice dinner, flowers - all that crap? I guess I’m speaking more for myself. I don’t like big gestures and would prefer quiet time with my man, or with him and a few select friends. Not sure what her personality is like. The gift is where you might want to put your energies.