Question about shipping (match-making) real life people together?

Shipping is basically another term for "match-making".

So the question is:

Why is it that most of the time when people ship real life people together, it's almost most of the time that they never become a actual couple or don't last long as a couple if they actually become one?

So I had 2 friends that I shipped together really hard, but they ended up never having feelings for each other, and so they went with other people instead. As a result, my heart strings pulled really hard. This however seems to happen all the time with people that I shipped together, since they never become a couple.

It seems like most of the people who ship other people together don't have their ship become real despite very often it's outside observers who have better perspective and clarity on who is best suited for someone else because their point of view isn't clouded by personal emotion.

So why is that?

I’m batting 3 for 3 in that league. However, I have never pushed the proposed couple together. I’ve introduced and gone on a few double dates and facilitated where helpful. Nothing more than that as I figured out I cannot make people fall in love. I’m not Cupid with a magical bow and arrow.

And I am retired from that hobby now which probably accounts for my batting average.

• Like 1
Shipping is basically another term for "match-making".

Interesting expression SuperHeroMan, I've never heard that before. What country are you based in?

Mr. Lucky

• Author
My husband and I were match made over 25 years ago. Still together and happy.

You and your husband are in the minority of couples who got together based on match-making, and are also in the minority of ones that are still together based on match-matching.

• Author
Interesting expression SuperHeroMan, I've never heard that before. What country are you based in?

Mr. Lucky

I'm from America.

You and your husband are in the minority of couples who got together based on match-making, and are also in the minority of ones that are still together based on match-matching.

Have you got stats to back up this assertion?

Mr. Lucky

Common expression for young ones here on Aus too. I think it's an abbreviation of "relationship(ping)"

• Author

I was never able to find any stats, but it's just common knowledge that most people find their partner by themselves rather than having someone else ship (or match-make) them with another person.

• Author

Besides was it a professional match-maker that got both you and your husband together? I am actually talking more about the ones that aren't professional match-makers and are just like the people who ship fictional characters together.

Besides was it a professional match-maker that got both you and your husband together? I am actually talking more about the ones that aren't professional match-makers and are just like the people who ship fictional characters together.

No, it wasn't a professional matchmaker. It was my husband's mate who concocted the set up.

• Like 1
I was never able to find any stats, but it's just common knowledge that most people find their partner by themselves rather than having someone else ship (or match-make) them with another person.

Most people finding partners on their own does not mean that match making can't work. Correlation does not equal causation.

• Like 1

How do people meet people anyway...a lot of people meet through friends and maybe an unconscious fated shipping happens.....not pushed or forced but an untimed meant to meet through friends....i reckon god weaves it all.....if its meant to be......any way a relationship starts its all meant to be ...even the ones that don't work out....but there are definite shipping successes.i would hope more success than failure..i have had a few successes... i am also however retired......i retired when i set my sister up and her "shipped" by me ...fiancee died......deb

• Like 1
  • Author
How do people meet people anyway...a lot of people meet through friends and maybe an unconscious fated shipping happens.....not pushed or forced but an untimed meant to meet through friends....i reckon god weaves it all.....if its meant to be......any way a relationship starts its all meant to be ...even the ones that don't work out....but there are definite shipping successes.i would hope more success than failure..i have had a few successes... i am also however retired......i retired when i set my sister up and her "shipped" by me ...fiancee died......deb

A lot people do meet through friends, but that's doesn't mean that their friends always ship them together.

• Author
Most people finding partners on their own does not mean that match making can't work. Correlation does not equal causation.

I am not saying that match-making doesn't work all the time. I'm just saying it doesn't work most of the time. If it did work all the time, then I'm pretty sure that most couples would say that the reason they became a couple was thanks to their friends encouraging them to get together.

My wife and I were introduced by a mutual acquaintance. Does that count?

I'm sure we'd met before but neither of us has any specific memory of such. Strange as he brought her to a game but I already had a date there! Talked to her just enough that she knew I was interested. And I somehow managed to get her phone number. As I recall date girl wasn't thrilled. Does that make me a cheater??

• Like 1
A lot people do meet through friends, but that's doesn't mean that their friends always ship them together.

A lot of friends do ship their friends i feel ....even if it isnt directly obvious...but more an unknown silent meet and greet takes the pressure off and stills th nerves of people who might be a little shy.... its how i used to roll..stealth shipping...until of course my stealth matchmaking..became ...known........deb

• Like 1
  • Author
A lot of friends do ship their friends i feel ....even if it isnt directly obvious...but more an unknown silent meet and greet takes the pressure off and stills th nerves of people who might be a little shy.... its how i used to roll..stealth shipping...until of course my stealth matchmaking..became ...known........deb

What I mean is just because a lot of them do ship their friends together, it doesn't that they are going to actually become a couple most of the time.

I learned this from my own life experience.

• Like 1

It seems to work some of the time. I understand Prince Harry and Meghan met like that.

I think the reason why it does not work on occasions is that (unless specifically asked) a friend or matchmaker cannot know who someone is physically and mentally attracted to.

A friend tried to match me with a guy in a group social gathering. She put me with a group of people, one of whom was the 'intended'. I didn't know about the matchmaking attempt until I talked with her later. I barely noticed the guy, did not enjoy chatting with him, and there was absolutely nothing there for me. What puzzles me is why she thought we might be a match? Obviously, others see things in us that we don't!

• Like 1

My husband and I worked together before we dated. We were both seeing other people at the time, and his relationship was notoriously unhappy, but we were so focused on the job at hand that it was more than a year before it ever occurred to us that we might actually want to date. But we were the last ones.

All of his coworkers and my coworkers conspired to get us together. My boss once called his boss and arranged for a "meeting" that everyone else bailed on, so it was just he and I sitting alone in a conference room. His coworkers got him to dress up for a major meeting with senior leaders that ended up being with my office so I could see him in a full suit and tie (he worked in a tech office where they usually wear jeans). I remember thinking it was a goofy running joke until the morning I woke up and realized I wanted to be with him.

• Author
My husband and I worked together before we dated. We were both seeing other people at the time, and his relationship was notoriously unhappy, but we were so focused on the job at hand that it was more than a year before it ever occurred to us that we might actually want to date. But we were the last ones.

All of his coworkers and my coworkers conspired to get us together. My boss once called his boss and arranged for a "meeting" that everyone else bailed on, so it was just he and I sitting alone in a conference room. His coworkers got him to dress up for a major meeting with senior leaders that ended up being with my office so I could see him in a full suit and tie (he worked in a tech office where they usually wear jeans). I remember thinking it was a goofy running joke until the morning I woke up and realized I wanted to be with him.

The coworkers that you and your husband worked with must be fun to work with. The coworkers that I always have would never do something like that.

What I mean is just because a lot of them do ship their friends together, it doesn't that they are going to actually become a couple most of the time.

I learned this from my own life experience.

does it make me an optimist if i write to you that even though it happened once to you that it didnt work out does not mean it might not work out in the future

(im sorry it didnt work out)

if friends set you up with someone.....there's a rhyme and reason for everything not working out as there is for things that do work out the shipping thing is just semantics...........there's more than one match out there for you.....makes sense your friends might see that match for you.... before you do....it widens your arms if friends are keeping you in mind....so ...yep im an optimist.....call me opti..wanna join me....;0)..best of luck to you..deb

I am not saying that match-making doesn't work all the time. I'm just saying it doesn't work most of the time. If it did work all the time, then I'm pretty sure that most couples would say that the reason they became a couple was thanks to their friends encouraging them to get together.

It could also be because their friends didn't bother to match them with anyone. Or their single friends didn't need or want a bit of help.

• Like 1
Common expression for young ones here on Aus too. I think it's an abbreviation of "relationship(ping)"

Lol. And I was picturing mail order brides, and human trafficking... ;)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author
My wife and I were introduced by a mutual acquaintance. Does that count?

I'm sure we'd met before but neither of us has any specific memory of such. Strange as he brought her to a game but I already had a date there! Talked to her just enough that she knew I was interested. And I somehow managed to get her phone number. As I recall date girl wasn't thrilled. Does that make me a cheater??

Yes, that counts.