LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > General Relationship Discussion

Question about shipping (match-making) real life people together?

General Relationship Discussion Everything else under the sun. Not sure where to post? This is the place!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2018, 4:13 PM   #1

Question about shipping (match-making) real life people together?

Shipping is basically another term for "match-making".

So the question is:
Why is it that most of the time when people ship real life people together, it's almost most of the time that they never become a actual couple or don't last long as a couple if they actually become one?

So I had 2 friends that I shipped together really hard, but they ended up never having feelings for each other, and so they went with other people instead. As a result, my heart strings pulled really hard. This however seems to happen all the time with people that I shipped together, since they never become a couple.

It seems like most of the people who ship other people together don't have their ship become real despite very often it's outside observers who have better perspective and clarity on who is best suited for someone else because their point of view isn't clouded by personal emotion.

So why is that?
SuperHeroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 3:19 PM   #2
Established Member

Iím batting 3 for 3 in that league. However, I have never pushed the proposed couple together. Iíve introduced and gone on a few double dates and facilitated where helpful. Nothing more than that as I figured out I cannot make people fall in love. Iím not Cupid with a magical bow and arrow.
And I am retired from that hobby now which probably accounts for my batting average.
Bufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 5:40 PM   #3
Established Member

My husband and I were match made over 25 years ago. Still together and happy.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 12:58 PM   #4
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHeroMan View Post
Shipping is basically another term for "match-making".
Interesting expression SuperHeroMan, I've never heard that before. What country are you based in?

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 5:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
My husband and I were match made over 25 years ago. Still together and happy.
You and your husband are in the minority of couples who got together based on match-making, and are also in the minority of ones that are still together based on match-matching.
Old 24th September 2018, 5:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post
Interesting expression SuperHeroMan, I've never heard that before. What country are you based in?

Mr. Lucky
I'm from America.
Old 24th September 2018, 5:11 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
You and your husband are in the minority of couples who got together based on match-making, and are also in the minority of ones that are still together based on match-matching.
Have you got stats to back up this assertion?
Old 24th September 2018, 5:12 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post

Mr. Lucky
Common expression for young ones here on Aus too. I think it's an abbreviation of "relationship(ping)"
Old 24th September 2018, 7:32 PM   #9

Quote:
I was never able to find any stats, but it's just common knowledge that most people find their partner by themselves rather than having someone else ship (or match-make) them with another person.
Old 24th September 2018, 7:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Besides was it a professional match-maker that got both you and your husband together? I am actually talking more about the ones that aren't professional match-makers and are just like the people who ship fictional characters together.
Old 24th September 2018, 9:55 PM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Besides was it a professional match-maker that got both you and your husband together? I am actually talking more about the ones that aren't professional match-makers and are just like the people who ship fictional characters together.
No, it wasn't a professional matchmaker. It was my husband's mate who concocted the set up.
Old 24th September 2018, 9:56 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
I was never able to find any stats, but it's just common knowledge that most people find their partner by themselves rather than having someone else ship (or match-make) them with another person.
Most people finding partners on their own does not mean that match making can't work. Correlation does not equal causation.
Old 24th September 2018, 10:17 PM   #13
Established Member

How do people meet people anyway...a lot of people meet through friends and maybe an unconscious fated shipping happens.....not pushed or forced but an untimed meant to meet through friends....i reckon god weaves it all.....if its meant to be......any way a relationship starts its all meant to be ...even the ones that don't work out....but there are definite shipping successes.i would hope more success than failure..i have had a few successes... i am also however retired......i retired when i set my sister up and her "shipped" by me ...fiancee died......deb
Old 24th September 2018, 10:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by todreaminblue View Post
How do people meet people anyway...a lot of people meet through friends and maybe an unconscious fated shipping happens.....not pushed or forced but an untimed meant to meet through friends....i reckon god weaves it all.....if its meant to be......any way a relationship starts its all meant to be ...even the ones that don't work out....but there are definite shipping successes.i would hope more success than failure..i have had a few successes... i am also however retired......i retired when i set my sister up and her "shipped" by me ...fiancee died......deb
A lot people do meet through friends, but that's doesn't mean that their friends always ship them together.
Old 24th September 2018, 10:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Most people finding partners on their own does not mean that match making can't work. Correlation does not equal causation.
I am not saying that match-making doesn't work all the time. I'm just saying it doesn't work most of the time. If it did work all the time, then I'm pretty sure that most couples would say that the reason they became a couple was thanks to their friends encouraging them to get together.