So can someone lose their original accent?

This is the case with our new supervisor. He's a 30 year-old naturalized US citizen from Mexico. However, his Spanish is kind of weird. It's good (with the exception of his rr pronunciation) but it still sounds like our typical American accent.

He was brought here by his parents exactly 27 years ago. He has gone to Mexico a couple times on vacations and base on his experience, as soon as he speaks the locals there always question his nationality and accent (a couple of them also treated him like a foreigner) even though he looks just like them in appearances.

So basically there is this tan-skinned man with indigenous features, black hair and dark eyes that speaks perfect English. If I close my eyes and didn't see who it was, I could have sworn it's a white, American man talking.

Edited by Nabely

Bilinguals usually have an accent in one of the languages they use.

It’s normal that he would have an English accent in his Spanish, as he uses English more than Spanish. Even though they probably talk(ed) Spanish in their home exclusively. But he came here at 3 yrs old, so yes - completely normal.

From what I've heard if someone moves to another country during childhood, they will develop the local accent. If they move during adulthood, they will retain their home accent and struggle to develop the local one. If the move happens during teenage years, it varies.

I met someone in Europe (continental) recently who had moved to England at age 18 but was visiting family back in her home country. Her English was so good I mistook her for actually being born English!

This is the case with our new supervisor. He's a 30 year-old naturalized US citizen from Mexico. However, his Spanish is kind of weird. It's good (with the exception of his rr pronunciation) but it still sounds like our typical American accent.

He was brought here by his parents exactly 27 years ago. He has gone to Mexico a couple times on vacations and base on his experience, as soon as he speaks the locals there always question his nationality and accent (a couple of them also treated him like a foreigner) even though he looks just like them in appearances.

So basically there is this tan-skinned man with indigenous features, black hair and dark eyes that speaks perfect English. If I close my eyes and didn't see who it was, I could have sworn it's a white, American man talking.

I'm confused. Are you asking because you're interested in dating this anominous, errr.... anonimush(?) anemones, tan-skinned man? Is that why you're asking?

I was told if you learn a second language under the age of 9 you will not have an accent in both language. My daughter is the proof of that, she can perfectly speak English & French and has no accents in either language. I've learn English at 20 and I am now 52. When I speak English I have a bit of a French accent but people don't notice it right away, it's mostly with the sounds *th*, pronouncing these, that, through, is the hardest for us, that sound doesn't exist in our language.

• Like 2

I was born in London, England in 1965. We moved the the US in 1972 when I was seven years old. When we came here I had a very strong English accent and all the kids in school made fun of me. Somehow, over time I started talking like everyone around me. It happened gradually and automatically. In other words I didn't do anything consciously to drop the English accent, it just happened by itself. I guess when you are young the brain is still very elastic and you can learn new languages/accents easily.

PhillyLibertyBelle
I was born in London, England in 1965. We moved the the US in 1972 when I was seven years old. When we came here I had a very strong English accent and all the kids in school made fun of me. Somehow, over time I started talking like everyone around me. It happened gradually and automatically. In other words I didn't do anything consciously to drop the English accent, it just happened by itself. I guess when you are young the brain is still very elastic and you can learn new languages/accents easily.

I think your age, going to an American school and what part of London were all factors.

People can never get my accent because it’s a combination of 3 countries and as an adult I’ve tried like heck to Americanise it but I can’t do it. London is part of my accent

• Like 1
PhillyLibertyBelle

Also if I go back to either of my other countries on holiday for even just a week I sound like I’ve never even been to America before!

• Author

That's true immersion does plays a factor to someone's accent.

I'm confused. Are you asking because you're interested in dating this anominous, errr.... anonimush(?) anemones, tan-skinned man? Is that why you're asking?
No, Logo I was surprised upon hearing him speaking for the first time when he first got the position in April. Normally, you would expect a Mexican guy with those physical features to have that Mexican accent (like when he once introduced us to his parents; they speak English by now but with their accent), even something remaining. There was none in him.

It's like he's only Mexican by definition and on the outside but as American as apple pie.

Edited by Nabely
  • Author
Thank you for sharing your story and yes it's indeed interesting how at such an early age, it's more likely for the former foreigner's vocal cords to adapt to the local accent.

I'm living in the Bible belt now, previously having grown up in Camden/ London. When I think about stuff or am at work, the thoughts are in a Southern accent. So I have to worry about losing my British accent haha.

I find it odd that you don’t think of someone who grew up and was educated in in the US from the age of 3 to the age of 30 American; it’s also odd that, in your mind, only Caucasian people can speak perfect American English.

• Like 2

I think the speaker must really work on it, using language tapes. Acting and speaking classes sometimes offer methods in changing accents but this is time and money. I tried learning Southern and New York accents once and it was difficult. The same is true for foreign accents.

There is no set pat answer, depending on the person and motivation.

Being in San Francisco I encounter people from all over the globe, who speak perfect English with no discernable accent beyond "California TV accent".

So I say yes it's very possible, I have seen people lose their accents quite quickly.

• Like 1

FTR, everyone has an accent, including Americans. It's called an American accent for a reason. ;)

But yes, people tend to pick up their accent based on where they live below 10 years of age or so. So a Mexican who lived in America from age 3 onwards would certainly have an American accent and not a Mexican one.

• Like 1

Interesting question. I found it difficult to distinguish the accent from someone from Vancouver and Seattle. Canadian and American accent are pretty different to the ear eh? ;) but both cities are very close. Same with New Zealand and Australia.

French from Montreal and French from Brussels or Paris are different. You know if you are fluent.

FWIW the actor from Brazil who was playing Pablo Escobar in Narcos had a Portuguese accent for the show which made Spanish speaking Latinos cringe a bit...

• Like 1
Same with New Zealand and Australia.

Kiwi and Aussie accents are pretty obvious after a while. The Kiwi accent is most notable with the way they pronounce "e", and the Aussie accent with the "a". ;)

• Like 1
Kiwi and Aussie accents are pretty obvious after a while. The Kiwi accent is most notable with the way they pronounce "e", and the Aussie accent with the "a". ;)

I reckon there is an old joke in Australia about how the kiwis pronounce decks (the terrace) into ehh you’ve guessed it.

• Like 1