Meeting her parents for the 1st time. Any pointers?

My girlfriend is amazing; she’s caring, very supportive, and helped me worked out my issues with my estranged father. Due to the way she was raised, she has really strong family values and loves her family dearly and has been talking about introducing me to her parents. I know I should give it a chance, but I’m just not comfortable with the idea yet.

Well, regardless of how I feel, she entered a win free tour contest at work and wouldn’t you know it, her name was actually drawn from the raffle. Why is this a problem you ask? Well, the tour includes her hometown, which means we’re stopping by her parents’ house for a visit. Since I can’t get out of it now, what are some ways I can set a good first impression? Her family means the world to her and I don’t want to disappoint her or make a fool out of myself neither. Please help.

Happy Lemming

Don't talk too much... Let the parents lead the conversation, feel them out. Don't be standoffish, but don't offer too much information. Easy on the compliments about their daughter, no PDA. Don't bring up politics, religion or anything controversial. Maybe have some light hearted amusing stories ready, if the subject arises, but don't force anything into the conversation.

Lastly, relax & be yourself.

I find F bombs and vulgarity always make a great impression on family.

Not.

Most families simply want their daughters to find good men. Be a good man.

• Author
Don't talk too much... Let the parents lead the conversation, feel them out. Don't be standoffish, but don't offer too much information. Easy on the compliments about their daughter, no PDA. Don't bring up politics, religion or anything controversial. Maybe have some light hearted amusing stories ready, if the subject arises, but don't force anything into the conversation.

Lastly, relax & be yourself.

This is a lot. Thanks for this. will remember all these.

I find F bombs and vulgarity always make a great impression on family.

Not.

Most families simply want their daughters to find good men. Be a good man.

Will surely be one.

Dress nicely. I'd wear a collared shirt at least. If you'd feel awkward being that dressed up at the concert, stash a t-shirt somewhere & change before the concert.

Be very polite & formal. Say yes sir & no ma'am. Don't over do anything: if offered food, take small portions, don't drink too much of anything, don't laugh too loud. Stick to neutral subjects (no religion or politics) when speaking. Keep the P.D.A. with their daughter to a minimum but put her on a pedestal while with her family.

Bring some kind of small gift like a plant, a bottle of wine (if your GF confirms that they drink) or dessert.

Send a hand written snail mail thank you note afterwards telling them how much you enjoyed meeting them & that you appreciated their hospitality

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

It's all in the handshake...If it's the limp-wristed variety, you will be sunk...No need to be phony, but look her dad in the eye and give a firm handshake...You know....Like a man...

You may think I am making a joke here, but I am dead serious...A firm handshake says a lot about a person..and it's really underestimated in these types of encounters and in other aspects of life as well...

Some of the other suggestions are on point, esp the one right above mine, but don't forget what I tell you about the handshake....Its more vital than you think..

TFY

• Like 1
mortensorchid

Don't make raunchy jokes or be "on" in front of them other than being courteous and polite.

• Like 1

Bring a nice bouquet of flowers- preferably ask her what kinds her mother might like so it'll be more special. :)

littleblackheart

Go in with a positive mindset, for a start!

It's a big step in your relationship so it's totally normal to feel a little nervous, but if they see their daughter happy, they'll be happy too - that's what I would be looking for in a potential partner for either of my kids.