Adventurers, they're everywhere

All online dating sites are packed with these guys their profile texts are almost identical - they live and breath for traveling and add long lists of flag emojis. It's obligatory to mention how they love going on various adventures, which is emphasized in their diving/climbing/surfing/riding a wild animal photos. They all would like to travel full-time and are looking for a "fun girl" who'd join them on their adventures.

I swear to God it's every second profile.

Makes me think it's a massive craze and attempt at escaping real life and it's challenges. These guys are 28-40 (that's my age range on OLD) and most of them sound like crazy youngsters who just got unleashed.

I've asked multiple times what they're looking for. Serious relationship is never an answer, just vague descriptions that indicate they aren't ready to commit anytime soon.

Seems like settling down is a thing of the past.

And I do like traveling, but not to this extent. I don't feel the need to try and escape my everyday life, I can find things that fullfill me.

What are your thoughts on this?

• Like 1

Well, first off, traveling and serious relationships/commitment aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, depending on the circumstances and personalities involved. I know several couples who have gone on long-term, round-the-world trips together, and are either married or in LTRs.

My thoughts on this is that you only have one life, so as long as you're not hurting anyone else or taking things that don't belong to you, I don't see anything wrong whatsoever with what they're choosing to do. I don't see why you view it as an "attempt at escaping real life and its challenges" - these people ARE living a real life, and are supporting themselves, either via travel blogging/writing, or online freelance work. Their choices aren't any "better" or "worse" than that of someone who decides to work an office job, buy a house, and have lots of babies.... and I think their choices are markedly better than the unemployed folks who have lots of babies that other taxpayers are forced to support.

I do think that the whole travel thing tends to be over-glamorized, though. It seems like the younger generation might be under a bit of pressure to do the whole travel/gap year thing, otherwise they aren't viewed as "cool". But that's a separate issue entirely, and doesn't merit judging those who truly want it for themselves and who make it work.

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 3

I would say that their interests are why they are on OLD. Can't find women IRL who are prepared to live the life they want.

Out of curiousity, do they offer to fund her travels?

• Like 2

Must be a craze there too.

When l was on the date site here, which wasn't for very long.

But almost every woman on there bragged about their travels and how they want to travel more and bla bla bloody blah.

Often pictures of them there or here or everywhere else . and lists of all places they'd been , all trying to sound worldly or some effg shyt l dunno.

So it seems then according to date sites anyway, we should all be adventuring traveling sheeple these days.

Yawning :bunny:

Edited by Chilli
  • Author

I call it escapism because I sense a certain void coming from them. I'm pretty sure that in most cases it's also about status and competition. It's hard to describe until you talk to people like that or hear them talk. There's not much depth there. They're flag (and p***y) collectors more often than not

• Author
Must be a craze there too.

When l was on the date site here, which wasn't for very long.

But almost every woman on there bragged about their travels and how they want to travel more and bla bla bloody blah.

Often pictures of them there or here or everywhere else . and lists of all places they'd been , all trying to sound worldly or some effg shyt l dunno.

So it seems then according to date sites anyway, we should all be adventuring traveling sheeple these days.

Yawning :bunny:

Yeah it almost feels like you absolutely must travel, do crazy stunts and "enjoy life" in a very particular way. Im often asked what's my next adventure gonna be and I answer that I'd like to take a class in painting with watercolor. The reactions are mixed. It's like it isn't ambitious enough.

• Like 2
I call it escapism because I sense a certain void coming from them. I'm pretty sure that in most cases it's also about status and competition. It's hard to describe until you talk to people like that or hear them talk. There's not much depth there. They're flag (and p***y) collectors more often than not

Yeppa , exxxaaacttlllyy.

So refreshing to see somebody else can see straight through it too.

All online dating sites are packed with these guys their profile texts are almost identical - they live and breath for traveling and add long lists of flag emojis. It's obligatory to mention how they love going on various adventures, which is emphasized in their diving/climbing/surfing/riding a wild animal photos. They all would like to travel full-time and are looking for a "fun girl" who'd join them on their adventures.

I swear to God it's every second profile.

Makes me think it's a massive craze and attempt at escaping real life and it's challenges. These guys are 28-40 (that's my age range on OLD) and most of them sound like crazy youngsters who just got unleashed.

I've asked multiple times what they're looking for. Serious relationship is never an answer, just vague descriptions that indicate they aren't ready to commit anytime soon.

Seems like settling down is a thing of the past.

And I do like traveling, but not to this extent. I don't feel the need to try and escape my everyday life, I can find things that fullfill me.

What are your thoughts on this?

Firstly - a comment on the bolded bit above. That's an age range which is fairly firmly split between those who have already found a long-term partner, probably married with kids, and those who haven't. Out of those who haven't, they presumably have the cash to be able to go travelling quite frequently... and it's really addictive for various reasons.

Which brings me to my main point as one of those twenty-something adventurer types you describe. I think that describing it as trying to conform/compete with others is a bit off the mark - sure some might be doing it to get the best Instagram photos or whatever, but everyone has their own reason for travel - for me it's a lot more about immersion in a new culture and/or landscape and meeting great people. A lot of women like travel too, and for guys who enjoy travel, making it part of their OLD profile is a way to attract like minded women who can join them on their travels. If a guy wants to be settled, something that isn't travel ends up on their profile instead. Each to their own. There's enough people in this world that you'll find someone like minded at some point, eventually.

• Like 2

I'm glad I explored the world when young and healthy. It's pretty easy to learn to do it inexpensively. I learned before the internet but the internet sure helped. I didn't advertise it with women I met rather shared with any who broached the subject. It was a personal journey. No regrets.

• Like 1
  • Author
It sounds like fun to me. If I were still young and single I'd be down for it.

Don't forget rich

• Like 2
  • Author

Literally just came across a profile that says "Been to more countries than you"!! At least he's open about the purpose of his traveling :D

• Like 1

This may well be true for the specific guys you are talking about - I have never done OLD so I can't comment on that. But you seem to be painting all "adventurers" with the same broad brush, which I disagree with. Personally, I rarely post or talk about my travels, yet they remain some of the most interesting, exhilarating, memorable experiences I have ever had. If someone is able to fund themselves in order to do that full-time, more power to them.

• Like 2
  • Author
This may well be true for the specific guys you are talking about - I have never done OLD so I can't comment on that. But you seem to be painting all "adventurers" with the same broad brush, which I disagree with. Personally, I rarely post or talk about my travels, yet they remain some of the most interesting, exhilarating, memorable experiences I have ever had. If someone is able to fund themselves in order to do that full-time, more power to them.

I'm talking about the specific type of guys who have their travel pictures plastered all over their profiles and their texts continue bragging about how many countries they've been to (the flag emojis I mentioned earlier) and how they're always going on adventures. That's why it all feels like a status thing and way over the top. Would never create a thread about it if I wasn't under an impression that it's a huge superficial craze in OLD

• Like 2

Back in the early days of online dating, in the 90's, I'd often see 'traveling' as a canned preference in profiles, so I'd ask about some memorable places the ladies had traveled to.

While dating, one travel-related treat was taking a lady and her kids to the zoo, where I was working at the time, and show them some of the behind the scenes stuff as well as share some of my travels related to the zoo overseas. The kids seemed to love those stories, as did I sharing them. Was I thinking of impressing dates when learning about animals in their natural habitats in Africa and India? Nope. It just happened to be of interest later. I think I really shared with only one lady, my first LTR, a ways in after taking her kids to the zoo, I plugged in some video I'd shot in Africa of an elephant in must chasing our jeep, stuff like that. Jurassic Park stuff. They got a kick out of it. TBH, viewing at those old videos, I looked like a terrorist :D

OP, IMO view it as marketing. Selling the sizzle when the steak is an ordinary cut of meat. Some guys are like that. They can be good guys. Only way to know is meeting them and getting to know them. For some, monster trucks and a few beers is an adventure but not really awe-inspiring, so they embellish ;)

I'm talking about the specific type of guys who have their travel pictures plastered all over their profiles and their texts continue bragging about how many countries they've been to (the flag emojis I mentioned earlier) and how they're always going on adventures. That's why it all feels like a status thing and way over the top. Would never create a thread about it if I wasn't under an impression that it's a huge superficial craze in OLD

Do you think it's impossible that they genuinely love traveling and are posting all that because they want to attract a likeminded partner who shares their passion for it? I mean, again, it's hard to say without actually SEEING the profile (obviously, if all of their "travel" pics are shirtless selfies, that clearly says something about them, lol), but none of what you're saying sounds particularly over-the-top to me. Isn't it normal to post pictures and talk about your favourite hobby on OLD?

• Like 5

You'll find 90% of women on OLD are the same. All about 'Adventures' and 'Travel'. I skip these profiles as it's not really what I'm looking for.

I wonder why they all can't pair up, so the rest of us have a little less to wade through to find suitable dates?

When I was younger and married, I had neither the time or money to travel much. After my first marriage ended, I traveled a bit, and dated more. Now I'm older (and married), and can travel a lot more (but still hold down a job).

I'm not sure I'd call this adventurous, though. A mule ride at Grand Canyon is probably the most "adventurous" I've gotten.

I agree with some other posters, that many women on OLD tout their travels and adventures, too. Of course, most of the rest want to stay at home and watch a movie, or dream about moonlit walks on the beach! LOL

• Author
Do you think it's impossible that they genuinely love traveling and are posting all that because they want to attract a likeminded partner who shares their passion for it? I mean, again, it's hard to say without actually SEEING the profile (obviously, if all of their "travel" pics are shirtless selfies, that clearly says something about them, lol), but none of what you're saying sounds particularly over-the-top to me. Isn't it normal to post pictures and talk about your favourite hobby on OLD?

It's the amount of those profiles and the way they're written/the way the pictures are posed.

I've opened one of those profiles. The main picture is of him hanging on a rock, half naked. The next one is with two small Asian ladies. Third one isn't travel related. Forth one is him butt naked jumping into clear blue water. The fifth one is from a skiing resort, him snowboarding.

His profile states his height and "looking for someone who could scratch my back, be my climbing buddy and challenge me everyday"

It's the amount of those profiles and the way they're written/the way the pictures are posed.

I've opened one of those profiles. The main picture is of him hanging on a rock, half naked. The next one is with two small Asian ladies. Third one isn't travel related. Forth one is him butt naked jumping into clear blue water. The fifth one is from a skiing resort, him snowboarding.

His profile states his height and "looking for someone who could scratch my back, be my climbing buddy and challenge me everyday"

Ah. Yup, I'd say that this one is probably a no-go... :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Author
You'll find 90% of women on OLD are the same. All about 'Adventures' and 'Travel'. I skip these profiles as it's not really what I'm looking for.

I wonder why they all can't pair up, so the rest of us have a little less to wade through to find suitable dates?

I never check women profiles on OLD so I can't tell for sure, but I fully believe you

losangelena

It sounds to me like maybe they're just trying to make themselves sound more interesting. There are so many profiles online, maybe this is their way of trying to stick out from the mundane. Just swipe left and move on.

• Like 1
  • Author
It sounds to me like maybe they're just trying to make themselves sound more interesting. There are so many profiles online, maybe this is their way of trying to stick out from the mundane. Just swipe left and move on.

The thing is - the mundane sticks out more nowadays

It sounds to me like maybe they're just trying to make themselves sound more interesting. There are so many profiles online, maybe this is their way of trying to stick out from the mundane.

I'd guess this to be true. If they said "my interests are watching TV and getting buzzed on the weekends", while probably true I doubt they'd get many of the type of responses they think they want. Consider it to be marketing...

Mr. Lucky