Dating someone who is bipolar?

Would any of you consider dating someone with bipolar as long as they are getting treated for it? I have the mild case of it and I've heard women are nervous to date someone with bipolar? is that true? I think that's very sad if it is.

It’s sad but it is what it is.

I know a bipolar woman whos actually a friend and sometimes life is good sometimes not.

It can be a rollercoaster of emotions... but I’d date one nonetheless if she is treated as you aptly mention. They can be “moody” like most everyone but the meds help for sure to stabilize them.

• Author

It's a struggle for me, I mean I can go on for 3 or 4 years before I have a relapse and have to get my meds adjusted again. Talk therapy really helps too.

Since I have been there and done that with my first wife, for my own wellbeing I will never again knowingly date or marry anyone who is bipolar.

Hmmm, great question. I know three people who have it. I would have never known had someone told me. The other two are mother and daughter. The mother has other more serious mental issues. The daughter seems to be handling it okay.

I think for me it would depend on the individual and their history of it.

If you're attractive it shouldn't be a problem. My best example was (he's dead now) my best friend's wife's brother. BP1, often unmedicated. Real ladies man. Married four times. Keeled over in the passenger seat of the big rig his last wife was driving. He could charm the ladies. Saw him do it, right in front of his wife and their husbands. Fearless. Prison guard. Helluva gun collection.

Again, as long as you're attractive you'll have no problems. Women like a bit of edge and unpredictability in general.

I always carried my gun around the guy. He had the wild eyes. Women liked that though. Different strokes.

i'm bipolar and being treated successfully. I've always hid it from the women I date. Except for one who I told because she was bipolar too. I haven't had any problems.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

I dated a woman that was bi-polar, once. OMG!! And yes she was on meds, and yes, she was still a mess.

Meds or not, I will NEVER do that again. If a woman is bi-polar, I'm running for the nearest door.

Just my opinion, based on my own experiences.

• Like 1

They are hard to resist in the mania. Had a MW jump me one time. Oh my. I think it scared her to death. Sharing about it later she just had this blank stare, like it never happened. Never have had a woman's teeth in my mouth like that :D

Pro tip: If you're around a BP1/2 in the mania, alcohol seems to be an accelerator. Watch out for unexpected/dangerous behaviors. Hyper-sexuality, violence, suicidal thoughts, I've seen the gamut.

When I was younger I did date the gamut; BP1/2, alcoholics, epileptics, you name it. Single women were in very short supply. Older now, nah, give me a fishing pole. I get a whiff of that psych/brain stuff, after caring for a psychotic for eight years, and I'm outta there. Loved ones, I'll keep them safe but other than that nope.

• Like 3

I would be very leary of getting involved with a guy if I knew he was bi-polar. I have a friend who is bi-polar and it's very difficult to deal with her. She is volatile, harsh, overly sensitive to any perceived offense, and full of drama. I feel I have to be careful with what I say and how I say it - about anything. I'm actually considering ending the friendship because the negatives are far outweighing the positives at this point.

So it probably comes down to whether or not someone has had a bad experience with a bi-polar person. Even though it's not fair, a bad experience with someone else might keep them away from you.

I assume you probably don't tell potential dates you are BP before you get to know them though? So if you've had a few dates or hung out a few times and things have gone well, most likely telling them about it at that point won't be a deal breaker and they'll be willing to give things a chance.

I had a best friend/roommate was was bipolar. She was usually okay with me. She was also narcissistic (diagnosed) and that was the bigger problem in the long run and now in her marriage. It depends how severe the disease is. The manic side can be exhausting to an observer or family member. The manic side can sometimes make a person hypersexual and do things they shouldn't do. The down side is miserable to deal with and the person can easily become suicidal. My friend has become suicidal quite a few times. I was who dealt with one of them. So yes, it can give anyone pause. It can be very hard on the kids.