Have I been friendzoned from a previous romantic encounter?

theyoungbuck

A couple years back I met this girl at a summer internship. I didn’t think much of her at first, but that she was really beautiful. She thought I was a real jerk at first, maybe because I tried making a move on her the first time we hung out who knows, but after a while we started talking and she was really an amazing person with great qualities. I eventually get lucky one night and hook up with her, only problem was she had a boyfriend, which thinking back on it now was not the best way to start being that I developed feelings for her. Being that she had a boyfriend at the time, we would still fool around and spend late nights with each other even though the whole program knew what we were up to and she was embarrassed to tell others what we were doing. Eventually the internship ended and we both parted ways because we’re on opposite sides of the country, she asked me at the end if I wanted to be in a relationship with her, but I wasn't willing to do a long distance.

Flash forward to last year. We would still talk to each other since the internship and talk about the things that are going on in our lives. We would send each other flirtatious snaps to each other, FaceTime, and had long phone conversations. We both eventually find out that we are both entering the same school together under the same program. At this point I thought, sweet here’s my chance to make something more than the fling we had. When I get there, the only problem was she was still with that same boyfriend she had years before. We would still casually talk to each other, but I was never fully honest with her on how I felt. Similar to the summer before, at this point she would tell me about the problems she had with her boyfriend and drop hints that she would rather be in a relationship with me. Again, I regret that I was not honest with her to begin with, but I gave her some space and didn’t bother making a move while she dealt with her relationship.

She eventually broke up with her boyfriend, and I ran to the opportunity. At first I told her how I really felt and tried asking her out on dates. She was hesitant a couple of times and then would just dodge the question. At times, she would want to hang out, but every time I mentioned the word "date" she would freak out. Maybe I wasn’t giving her enough time to get over her relationship, after all that was her first boyfriend and they were together for like 4-5 years. I was devastated and pissed. I figured I wasn’t going anywhere with this girl and I go completely MIA and shut her off. I would ignore her messages and dodge her. I would do this for the whole school year.

After not speaking for a while, she calls me one day inviting me over to a house party she was hosting. I ended up seeing her later that night and we had a good time, she was more drunk than I was and was being a bit flirtatious in touching my arms and pinching my cheeks, but we didn’t do anything just talked and caught up with things. We hung out casually a couple times later, but we never really spoke about the past we had. I’m thinking, she’s a cool person why would I just cut her off like that.

So the school year is over and we both have different internships. I’m still in the states, while she is in a completely different country. We still talk to each other asking how we’re doing and some of the crazy/funny stories we been through. Occasionally she would send me selfies of herself and she texted that she missed me the other day. Idk am I looking too deep into the details and she just wants to be friends, or is this her dropping hints again? Any advice/ criticism/ comments would be helpful!

It seems like she wants a flirtatious friendship where you flatter her & stroke her ego but she's not going to date you. While you are on different continents it's probably better to keep things light.

Welcome to LS....

If you're both young and it sounds like you are, date local women. Don't invest time in a distant contact who hasn't shown signs of being into you sexually or romantically.

In the future, when in flirtatious situations like that party she invited you to, and presuming you find the person attractive, escalate. You notice she had no problem inviting you, flirting with you and touching you/playing with you. Learn from that. Do what you want. Sure, respect 'no' with a smile but do what you want otherwise. If you want to date her, pursue that with your actions. If shot down, cool, end.

• Like 1

She had a long term boyfriend but cheated on him with you.

IMO not relationship material. We all make bad decisions/choices but do you really want to put time and effort in this?