I think roommate has a unreciprocated crush on me!

ShiningMoon

Hi all,

I think I have a sticky stituation.

Basically, I have two roommates. A girl and a guy. The guy and I get along quite well, in a platonic way (or so I thought). We often talk about our jobs, travel plans, politics .. for a couple of minutes here & there but that's it.

He knows I would like to move abroad again towards the end of the year/early next year, and whenever I bring it up he looks down and becomes very quiet.

Anyway. Yesterday, he started acting weird like asking me about my tastes and things I'd like to do which we never discussed until yesterday .. Then I mentioned something about driving a race car and he said: "Hum, I'd be up for that".

Then, out of the blue he asked me if I wanted to go grab a drink with him at this fancy place next to our complex. We went there on a whim and he started telling me about all the reasons why I should stay. Then on our way back home, he showed me his office and we did a tour (he owns his own business).

Bear in mind, we never hung out together outside of the apartment.

Although I had fun, I do not see him as a romantic prospect at all.

Do y'all think he may have a crush on me? What should I do?

Thanks.

Hi all,

I think I have a sticky stituation.

Basically, I have two roommates. A girl and a guy. The guy and I get along quite well, in a platonic way (or so I thought). We often talk about our jobs, travel plans, politics .. for a couple of minutes here & there but that's it.

He knows I would like to move abroad again towards the end of the year/early next year, and whenever I bring it up he looks down and becomes very quiet.

Anyway. Yesterday, he started acting weird like asking me about my tastes and things I'd like to do which we never discussed until yesterday .. Then I mentioned something about driving a race car and he said: "Hum, I'd be up for that".

Then, out of the blue he asked me if I wanted to go grab a drink with him at this fancy place next to our complex. We went there on a whim and he started telling me about all the reasons why I should stay. Then on our way back home, he showed me his office and we did a tour (he owns his own business).

Bear in mind, we never hung out together outside of the apartment.

Although I had fun, I do not see him as a romantic prospect at all.

Do y'all think he may have a crush on me? What should I do?

Thanks.

I assume you are the landlord. If so, I just think he is more concerned about his future living arrangement or lack thereof. If you move abroad he will be homeless for all practical purposes.

You don't need to do anything except reassure him that he will have a place to crash no matter what.

• Author
ShiningMoon

Thanks, but no I'm not the landlord, just a roommate and we all have separate leases. Otherwise, I have used the term tenant not roommate.

FilterCoffee

Yeah, I think he has a crush on you. Try to avoid going out with him alone. If he suggests “hanging out” invite your other roommate to join. Tell him it would be more fun if everyone went out together.

hi there shining moon, it does sound like they might have a bit of a crush, but rather than going in with the awkward thing if that's how you feel, (and making the other person awkward too!!!!), just be honest with them and talk to them without the drama, atmosphere or awkward stuff if you can etc and speak to them like the roommate they were before you thought this all.

they can still be a roommate if you handle it openly and casually. there's no need to avoid folks or put more on this than there is.

someone (if they do fancy you?) has taken time to try to let you know and they have probably felt awkward to try to tell you that so its only fair that you help them get that you are not seeing them like that but not make it an issue for them.

don't include others in this either if they will make something of this more than it is or gossip or question him as that will only make the other person feel awkward too.

its a small thing that you will feel relieved from and will be fair and kind to the other person too without things building up in an unessesary way.

just be honest, kind and open and move on in a way that can let them know that you are still open for friendship if you are friends. if not be honest and kind about that too.

ok, see ya, im sure it'll be fine. maxi.

Or maybe losing a roommate would put him in a terrible financial bind. But if he makes a move on you, you'll have to just be honest.

bathtub-row

What difference does it make if he does or doesn't have a crush on you? He's not really doing anything overly covert and hasn't asked you out. If you think you'd be interested in pursuing a relationship with him if he asked you out, then great. If not, I'm sure he'll live.