getting out of my comfort zone

I'm going to try to get out of my comfort zone by going to a social event, we have a pub here in my city and I want to go to the bar and socialize. I won't drink alcohol. I've never done this, so I know I'll be uncomfortable. It's something I feel like I need to do. What do you all think?

Happy Lemming

There is nothing wrong with having a soda at a bar. No one knows if you are having a jack and coke or just a coke.

It's OK to sit a bar and listen to other people talk, until you "get your feet wet"...

Relax, ease into this new experience.

You'll do fine.

Edited by Happy Lemming
spacing
  • Author
If you show up at a bar alone, feeling uncomfortable, and not even drinking, you will look creepy. I suggest you go, but you should bring a friend, and have a real drink. Bring a friend so that you have someone you can chat with, thus cutting back on the creepiness vibe put off by the solo dude staring at others at the bar. Unless you want to go with a story of you being the designated driver for your friend who is drinking, have a drink. It's just weird to go to a bar and not even have a drink.
I don't have a lot of friends, so what am I supposed to do?
If you show up at a bar alone, feeling uncomfortable, and not even drinking, you will look creepy.

I'll agree with this, but not for the reason implied. I'm starting to feel that the problem is more "feeling uncomfortable" rather than "being alone". If you show up at a bar alone, owning it and having a drink (if you don't like alcohol, grab a soda or a mocktail if they do them), you won't look as creepy (if at all).

On a recent trip abroad I would turn up to bars alone. After a drink or two, and by sitting for long enough, I ended up making friends with half the bar. A similar thing happened the other night at my local - I talked to someone I'd seen there a few times and we clicked really well. Bars are social places - just because most people may not talk to you, doesn't mean no-one will. It only takes one - just look confident.