Curious: calling women "girls?"

losangelena

I notice this a lot, both on this forum and IRL.

I'm curious: why do some people refer to men as "men," but refer to women (female-identifying humans of legal, vote-having, car-driving, career-pursuing age) as "girls?" Even women well into their 30s and 40s and beyond?

Personally, it drives me batty, but I'm interested to hear, especially from those who do refer to grown adult ladies as "girls," what your reasons are, or if you've ever really thought about it that much.

Chicas, senoritas :cool:

No, I refer to women over 20 as just that: women. Under 20 I will allow myself to call them girls.

• Like 1

I don't see this in my age group and demographic, in general. Of course, slang terms may be used in casual conversation. I was the subject of one recently when my best friend invited me over, one potential purpose being to provide his wife with 'a new chew toy'.

In my age group, slang for women generally runs to chicks, gals, broads, ball and chain, the wife, etc. Closest to 'girls' is generally 'my wife is going out with her girlfriends tonight. Beer and BBQ at my place'.

One thing I have noticed over the decades if choosing not to participate in 'locker room talk' is one does tend to get excluded from the group. Group social dynamics appear to have play when it comes to language, presuming one desires to 'fit in'. There's a place for everyone. The internet has certainly defined that and the wide range of language out there.

hippychick3

I use girl regardless of age all of the time without thinking of it. My friends and I refer to a woman as a girl like we refer to a man as a guy. I don't think "young person" when I think "girl." I just think "female."

My bf calls me his girl to his friends. It doesn't phase me. I can't really imagine him saying his woman...

I'm curious: why do some people refer to men as "men," but refer to women (female-identifying humans of legal, vote-having, car-driving, career-pursuing age) as "girls?" Even women well into their 30s and 40s and beyond?

Personally, it drives me batty, but I'm interested to hear, especially from those who do refer to grown adult ladies as "girls," what your reasons are, or if you've ever really thought about it that much.

Interesting,

Quite a lot of women, especially those in their 20's and 30's don't mind being called "girls". In fact, some of them will roll their eyes if you refer to them as a woman or especially a "lady".

To me, I've always felt calling a female a "girl" is more of a compliment than a woman calling a man a "boy". It does sound weird when a female refers to their bf or w/e as a "boy". Just makes her sound like a teenager talking about some guy she met at college. But when I hear a grown man in his 40s calling a female a "girl", I think nothing of it all. This is especially the case if that particular female isn't really known to the man or men referring to her as a "girl".

I do on some occasions call a female a "woman" but only in certain circumstances, like maybe if they got super dressed up for some sort of big function etc. But, I probably use "girl" more or at least equally just because when I have dared to call a female a "lady", it never leads to a positive outcome. Most females just don't like it, especially those in my age bracket.

I don't call men men. I call them guys. The opposite of guys is girls. I'm sure this is colloquial to some extent. I'm in Texas and I'm 65 and I struggle not to call women girls in conversation. I may actually even say "Girl!" right to their face. Or "us girls."

To me, this is just not an issue. I have no one who takes offense to it in real life, so I only even try to temper it on this board because apparently some don't like it. Most older ladies I know like being called a girl just fine. Why? Because inside we still feel like girls.

• Like 6
thefooloftheyear

I don't call women girls...Ladies or women only....Heck, I even refer to my daughter and her friends as young ladies..and she's 15...

Maybe it's just what some guys do...I don't think they mean it as condescending or anything...

Girls call themselves girls though....even the oldies do it...

TFY

• Like 2
RecentChange

Casually I tend to use "girls" and "guys". Generally I find men and women a bit more formal.

I don't say "are you going out with the MEN tonight honey?" nor do I say "I am going to go out with the WOMEN".

I say "those guys are so loud" or "those girls are so loud"

Girl - its single syllable and just rolls off the tongue easier.

Women, I tend to use in more formal settings "I remember when I was the only woman in the office, but now women account for 50% of our team".

• Like 3
One thing I have noticed over the decades if choosing not to participate in 'locker room talk' is one does tend to get excluded from the group. Group social dynamics appear to have play when it comes to language, presuming one desires to 'fit in'. There's a place for everyone. The internet has certainly defined that and the wide range of language out there.

I am appalled Carhill... that you would use such vulgar, degrading terms to opposite sex gendered people... LOL.

No, I just never saw you and someone that wanted to "fit in". I am quite the opposite, if you are indeed that way. For me, I can talk to anyone about almost anything, and I am never conscious of fitting in.

I mostly let people fit in with me. But seriously, I just thought your quote (above) was funny if not true.

And to the girl thing, it is a thing. I use girl, grown a** woman, lady, sugar, shug, baby, babe, hon, honey, dear, darling, love, and my personal favorite, sugar breeches.

I use them all. It is just the way I talk. When I do run into a feminist that is offended, I LMAO.

Then I say, "Sorry sugar breeches, I did not mean to offend you"...

Hubby would go play golf with the boys. And I'd have a girl's night out. In this context, it's normal. Hubby's two sisters are known collectively as "the girls". Just as I imagine that brothers would be known collectively as "the boys".

My 80yo father in law called his female friends "girls". They loved it!

And what Preraph said about "guys and girls". I'd be more likely to say "I met this guy" rather than "I met this man".

The only thing which bothers me is "Lady". Over the years, I've found that men who use the term tend to be old fashioned in their views about women. I would be cautious around a man who used the term because I suspect they'd want a different type of woman to who I am. (I laugh loud, I fart, I have opinions, I am not modest...all those things which Ladies are supposed to not do).

• Like 1
Just as I imagine that brothers would be known collectively as "the boys".

that could also refer to a set of testicles

• Like 4
that could also refer to a set of testicles

Just as "the girls" could also refer to a set of breasts ;)

• Like 2

Almost anything can mean testicles or breasts! There's so much slang for them. Google it sometime for a laugh.

Garbonzas.

I call my dogs "Ladies." I lean out the door and sing-song "Laa-dies" to get them in. And they're anything but proper, so no connotation there. At the annual vet visit today, I told the vet about the only odd incident recently where Chickapea was just walking down the hall and suddenly yelped real loud and kicked her back legs up like a mule. The vet said one possibility was gas.

• Like 2

Well if it makes the women feel any younger, I will just refer to them as girls.

Anyhow. The 70s more people I know from both gender still call me a young man. Why should I take offense?

Guys or girls are not demeaning words in any way. Unless used in this purpose...

Of course I won't refer to my women and female hierarchy at work as ''hey girls'' but ma'am.

Some words and expressions are fine in certain contexts. Girls night out is one of them.

I noticed that many singers, except for Roy Orbinson talks and sings about ''girls'' not women.

• Like 2
somanymistakes

Many people call men boys in certain contexts - 'boys and their toys' being one. In some contexts it can be considered highly offensive, though. Don't call an adult black man 'boy' unless you want people to think you are SUPER racist.

I use 'girls' mostly when I'm either talking about a group of women that includes me, or when I'm talking about a group of women clearly younger than me. It is usually slightly dismissive and/or jokey.

There's a woman working in the office today, but a bunch of girls just stepped out of that nightclub waving feather boas.

I might look slightly askance at a man referring to a woman as a 'girl' in a formal context, but if he knew her and was joking about or flirting with her it would make perfect sense. If she's older than he is and he's not trying to be funny, it's a bit weird.

(Yes, I'm a feminist. I don't think I'm humorless :laugh: )

• Like 1

The likely reason you find it offensive is when women use the term "boy", they mean it as derogatory. I've seen it used here a lot "I'm looking for a man, not a boy" meaning a dude who doesn't treat her within her expectstions.

As preraph stated, "girl" is analogous to "guy". However, people take offense to everything (even the use of gender identities in general) so not everyone is going to be happy.

If you really want something to be offended about, when I am dating a girl I love it when she calls me "Daddy". The good ones are happy to oblige, and they are in their 40s :love:

It doesn't matter to me. No matter the age, girls are girls, women, or females... I don't categorize it as an age thing or consider it something so important I MUST adhere to it.

Men refer to hanging out with 'the boys' regardless of age. It seems to have a camaraderie type ring to it.

With both men and women, it's said in a of spirit of bonding with the same sex, I find.

And I don't mind men referring to me and other women as 'the girls'. I just think, well.. I AM one in terms of my sex...

Plus, it's just more casual and a less heavy term than 'woman' or 'lady'. Maybe even a more affectionate term... and less oppressive somehow because your age isn't being given too much thought or considered as carrying any particular weight... just my thoughts.

• Like 1

For males, I refer to children as "boys", younger adults (say 15-30) as "guys" and older as "men". The English language doesn't seem to have an equivalent different term for young adult females - we tend to use "girls" for children and young adults, so "girl" is filling the female equivalent of "guy". Other languages do have a separate term - Swedish is one example (flicka refers to a child, tjej refers to young women - someone correct me if I'm wrong)

In an office environment I would refrain from using the terms "girls" or "boys," because it could imply immaturity or underlingness, but other than that, I see no harm.

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic

I spent the day with my 76-year-old mother. She refers to ALL women, even women her own age and older, as "girls."

"There's a new girl at Pinochle!" :)

• Like 3
CautiouslyOptimistic
It doesn't matter to me. No matter the age, girls are girls, women, or females... I don't categorize it as an age thing or consider it something so important I MUST adhere to it.

Men refer to hanging out with 'the boys' regardless of age. It seems to have a camaraderie type ring to it.

With both men and women, it's said in a of spirit of bonding with the same sex, I find.

And I don't mind men referring to me and other women as 'the girls'. I just think, well.. I AM one in terms of my sex...

Plus, it's just more casual and a less heavy term than 'woman' or 'lady'. Maybe even a more affectionate term... and less oppressive somehow because your age isn't being given too much thought or considered as carrying any particular weight... just my thoughts.

I agree with you :). I have an annual "girls trip" with a group of 9 of my close friends. I'm also going on a "girls weekend" next month with a bunch of other women, most of whom are older than I am. I'm 45.

I also think there's something very endearing about referring to men hanging out together as "boys." I don't know why, but I like it.

somanymistakes
I spent the day with my 76-year-old mother. She refers to ALL women, even women her own age and older, as "girls."

"There's a new girl at Pinochle!" :)

If I live to be 76 I will probably call everyone girls :)

• Like 3