My ex resurfaced. What does he want?

I was in a 6 months relationship, 2 years ago.

He's a great guy, he made me feel very happy and safe when I was with him.

I ended things as I was very distracted with architecture school, and felt like I never had time to see him. Also, I was leaving for 3 months, and he was going to leave a little bit after that, for 5-6 months during an exchange program. I felt like it wasn't the right timing for a relationship, and leaving him was very sad, and I kinda wished he would fight a little bit more for us, to reassure me regarding his feelings, etc.

I did not regret my decision,I knew I was doing the right thing for the both of us. I also felt like getting over it was pretty easy and that surprised me. We stoped talking for a while, until 5 months ago, he reached out again, inviting me to his games, asking when will I be in town for coffee, etc. Clearly he wanted to see me again but that never worked out. First, I went to one of his games after many invitations. I saw him see me, but he did not approach me, it froze me so I left and texted him about it. He said he didn't see me, but I'm not so sure... Either he did but was too shy (it had been a long time), or he actually didn't see me (which I really doubt). [i never understood that part]

Anyways, we kept on texting (every once in a while), he asked me if I was going to a get together (with 4 mutual friends - 2 couples). I couldn't make it so he asked when will I be in town again (I live 2 hours away), I said "maybe next weekend" and that ended our conversation. Later on, I heard from a friend that attended the diner, that he actually has a girlfriend (that I never heard about). It sounded very serious, they traveled together, and had been together for 3-4 months. He sends me snaps sometimes, or replies to some things I share, etc.

All of this makes me think about him a lot more than I ever did, although it's been 2 years. I really can't stop thinking about him. I was shocked to know he was in a relationship, since he still contacts me. At the same time, I am truly happy that he found someone because he really is a great person and deserves the best. I hope he is content and happy, but I still wonder why talk to me?

Edited by jess26
What does he want? Simple. A quick roll in the hay.

Maybe. Or perhaps he doesn't see a future with this new relationship, but OP is the one who got away and he never quite let go...

• Like 1
Maybe. Or perhaps he doesn't see a future with this new relationship, but OP is the one who got away and he never quite let go...

And he wants a roll in the hay to make sure, before he leaves his GF...

Whatever the reason. There is hay involved. I guarantee it.

• Like 2

Whatever the reason. There is hay involved. I guarantee it.

True, but that's understood isn't it? Like, whether you call it a quarter pounder or a royale with cheese, everyone knows there's beef between the buns.