LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > General Relationship Discussion

Where do you wear your wedding/engagement ring?

General Relationship Discussion Everything else under the sun. Not sure where to post? This is the place!

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2018, 5:47 AM   #1
Established Member

Where do you wear your wedding/engagement ring?

I was out for lunch with a cousin and on the table diagonally opposite was this very attractive woman sitting alone. She looked like Carrie-Anne Moss from the Matrix movies and I had half a mind to start a conversation with her. But before doing anything, I first looked at her hands to see if she was committed. She had a silver/white gold/platinum band on her left ring finger. Is that where people normally wear their wedding rings? Do some people wear it on their right hand? Perhaps on another finger? Apologies in advance if this question is waaay too stupid.

Last edited by FilterCoffee; 8th February 2018 at 5:50 AM..
FilterCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 6:10 AM   #2
Established Member

I've been wondering about this too!

When we went to talk to a craftsman about our wedding rings, he cautioned us to have a think about how it would look alongside the engagement ring (for the woman). Apparently lots of women like to wear both on the same finger (left ring finger). But if the colors/designs don't match up well, then they might choose to wear one on the left ring finger and another on the right. I imagine that wearing on another finger wouldn't be a great idea unless your fingers are virtually identical in size - rings are sized very closely, too loose and you risk it slipping out, too tight and it will be uncomfortable.

I think there's a lot of leeway for the individual to make her own choice, though. In our culture, women don't usually wear the engagement ring at all after they get married, and they just wear the wedding ring on their left ring finger. But I think it's pretty safe to say that if a woman has a ring on her left ring finger, she's either engaged, married... or is trying to ward off approaches. Either way, probably best to respect that.

Last edited by Elswyth; 8th February 2018 at 6:17 AM..
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 6:36 AM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
I've been wondering about this too!

When we went to talk to a craftsman about our wedding rings, he cautioned us to have a think about how it would look alongside the engagement ring (for the woman). Apparently lots of women like to wear both on the same finger (left ring finger). But if the colors/designs don't match up well, then they might choose to wear one on the left ring finger and another on the right. I imagine that wearing on another finger wouldn't be a great idea unless your fingers are virtually identical in size - rings are sized very closely, too loose and you risk it slipping out, too tight and it will be uncomfortable.

I think there's a lot of leeway for the individual to make her own choice, though. In our culture, women don't usually wear the engagement ring at all after they get married, and they just wear the wedding ring on their left ring finger. But I think it's pretty safe to say that if a woman has a ring on her left ring finger, she's either engaged, married... or is trying to ward off approaches. Either way, probably best to respect that.
I didn't know people wear their engagement ring and their wedding ring. First I'm hearing of it. Are you planning on doing that? Yeah, I guess my initial screening was correct unfortunately
Old 8th February 2018, 7:37 AM   #4
Established Member

Its possible a single simple band was her one and only marriage ring. Some dont like gems and fancy.

My wife had worn both simple band (wedding band) and more extravagant engagement ring together. Due to age and weight changes, I had the engagement ring modified for adjustable fit, and the wedding band went into the drawer. I would say that one person - just one- said my wife's engagement ring did not look like one - because its based on non diamond as the prime stone - but that is a local/cultural thing.
Old 8th February 2018, 11:06 AM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterCoffee View Post
I didn't know people wear their engagement ring and their wedding ring. First I'm hearing of it. Are you planning on doing that? Yeah, I guess my initial screening was correct unfortunately
Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? It's probably a cultural thing - I think in Western cultures many women do wear both? The engagement ring is the blingy one, after all (whereas the wedding ring is usually just a band), so it makes sense to show it off some of the time.

I'm not sure what I plan to do, haha. Wearing both feels a bit much for me. I suppose I might do that during social events, but for everyday use I might just pick one or the other!
Old 8th February 2018, 11:13 AM   #6
Established Member

Maybe this is a cultural thing. In America, it's very customary to wearing both your engagement ring and wedding ring on your left ring finger. And yes, you wear them both together, on the same finger, after you get married. The wedding ring goes on first, then the engagement ring (if you choose to keep wearing it, which most do since it's the prettiest! ).
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 11:21 AM   #7
Established Member

In the tradition I was married in the wedding bands are worn on the right hand. But that is contrary to the American tradition of wearing on the left.
Old 8th February 2018, 11:22 AM   #8
Established Member

I thought most jewelers made the wedding band as an interlocking or matching part of the engagement ring??

As a side note, I (single man) purchased a cheap wedding band and put it on to fly. For me, I was always getting double and triple checked by the TSA. It seems getting through security and boarding has been easier when I wear a wedding band. I don't know if it makes me look more stable or less dangerous, but it seems to work for me.
Old 8th February 2018, 11:25 AM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lemming View Post
I thought most jewelers made the wedding band as an interlocking or matching part of the engagement ring??

As a side note, I (single man) purchased a cheap wedding band and put it on to fly. For me, I was always getting double and triple checked by the TSA. It seems getting through security and boarding has been easier when I wear a wedding band. I don't know if it makes me look more stable or less dangerous, but it seems to work for me.
That's called a matched set. That's just one of many options.
Jj66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 11:46 AM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? It's probably a cultural thing - I think in Western cultures many women do wear both? The engagement ring is the blingy one, after all (whereas the wedding ring is usually just a band), so it makes sense to show it off some of the time.

I'm not sure what I plan to do, haha. Wearing both feels a bit much for me. I suppose I might do that during social events, but for everyday use I might just pick one or the other!
I'm from India Els. The woman in question was probably French since I was at a French restaurant but I can't say for sure. I'm really surprised to see how common it is to wear both. Heck, before I started this thread I thought there was only one ring involved. Now I've got to get 2?
Old 8th February 2018, 11:51 AM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterCoffee View Post
I'm from India Els. The woman in question was probably French since I was at a French restaurant but I can't say for sure. I'm really surprised to see how common it is to wear both. Heck, before I started this thread I thought there was only one ring involved. Now I've got to get 2?
Ah! That makes a lot of sense. In Asian cultures it's very common to not wear an engagement ring after marriage, and indeed many traditional couples in my culture don't even HAVE engagement rings, since the "proposal" is pretty much the man talking to the woman's parents and giving them money/gifts. We are somewhat between the two cultures, so we did have a "Western" proposal with an engagement ring. You probably don't have to get your girl an engagement ring if she's traditional!
Old 8th February 2018, 11:53 AM   #12
Established Member

Forgive me.... I haven't yet read all the posts, but here are the customs as I understand them.

In the US, women wear their engagement ring on their left ring finger, and once married, you wear the band closest to your palm, with the engagement ring next.

Men wear wedding bands in their left ring finger. No engagement rings.

I think I caught you are from India? As I understand from my Indian friends, females still wear rings on their left ring finger, but men wear them on their right.
Old 8th February 2018, 12:02 PM   #13
Established Member

Since we're on the topic of rings, I kinda wondered... Doesn't it get pretty heavy/cluttered to wear 2 on one finger, especially if the rings are of a heavier material (like platinum) and you have a small finger? That's probably the main reason I wouldn't wear both on one finger - it's difficult enough getting used to just one!
Old 8th February 2018, 12:19 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentChange View Post
In the US, women wear their engagement ring on their left ring finger, and once married, you wear the band closest to your palm, with the engagement ring next.
This reminds me of a funny story. My girlfriend was interviewing for a job and the interviewer looked at her left hand. She said he tried to do it casually, but she caught him looking. She didn't get the job. She thought it was because she was single and they were looking for a more stable individual.

So I bought her a very cheap, Cubic Zirc knock off wedding set she could wear for interviewing. As it was fake, she kept it in a different part of her jewelry box. A few months later, the maintenance guy let himself into her apartment to change the A/C filters, when she wasn't there. After his visit, the CZ wedding set was missing. It was the only thing taken. We both laughed, as the guy stole the absolute cheapest thing (by far) in her jewelry box.

After that incident, she put all of her expensive jewelry in a safe deposit box at the bank.
Happy Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 12:29 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Since we're on the topic of rings, I kinda wondered... Doesn't it get pretty heavy/cluttered to wear 2 on one finger, especially if the rings are of a heavier material (like platinum) and you have a small finger? That's probably the main reason I wouldn't wear both on one finger - it's difficult enough getting used to just one!
Yes it could get cluttered on a small finger with large rings . It's a preference. When I was married, I wore both, but I got engaged at age 22, to a 20 year old, so my diamond wasn't exactly extravagant and large .
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote