Would you seriously date someone with no social media at all?

Cookiesandough

It's the digital age and a lot of dating has gone digital. I hear a lot of people say they e-stalk their dates to get a better idea of who the person is. I am wondering how many people would date someone with no social media at all. Let's say you didn't meet through friends or family, but they seem great but they don't have a facebook,linkedin,instagram or even a whitepages page.You cannot find one trace of this person online. Would you date them?

I seriously hope so because the only social media I use is LinkedIn! You wouldn’t date anyone with no social media presence cookies?

• Like 3

I've been with a guy since the end of the summer who has no facebook or instagram. I think he's on linkedin but Ive never looked at it. Im not sure that this has had any effect on my feelings or our relationship. Why would it be a problem?

• Like 4

If I were single I might consider it. But they'd have to not be the type who was inclined to complain about social media being the root of all evil.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

I would have no problem dating them if they truly don't have social media.

The problem is, all those men that told me that they don't lied. I ended up finding freshly updated FB profiles :(

• Like 4

I would be more likely to date them, if anything! For a lot of people it becomes anti-social media (e.g. glued to their phone when they're around real live people), so if they're not on any then it removes this particular risk.

I'm not a big fan of social media and barely use it myself. I'm on Facebook but nothing else.

• Like 7
Would you seriously date someone with no social media at all?

Why not?

I don't see why this would be a problem?

"Facebook" should be called "Fakebook" as far as I'm concerned :rolleyes:

• Like 4

The problem is, all those men that told me that they don't lied. I ended up finding freshly updated FB profiles :(

That seems to be the case with any person who says they don't have it, many times they will not have social media but have "fake" accounts so they can still use it...

If a person doesn't have social media, is honest about it and about why they don't have it then I wouldn't have any issue seeing someone like that... but....

Of the few (married) friends I know who don't have FB don't have it because they did something inappropriate with it.. meaning they friended old GF's and got caught type of thing..

I only have/use FB.. but it does fine for me since I only use social media to keep up with a few friends and get pictures of my son to my Mom..

I get on all the time but only post pictures every now and then when something cool happens with my son...

• Like 3
Let's say you didn't meet through friends or family, but they seem great but they don't have a facebook,linkedin,instagram or even a whitepages page.You cannot find one trace of this person online. Would you date them?

I did, and I still am.

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine
If I were single I might consider it. But they'd have to not be the type who was inclined to complain about social media being the root of all evil.

I only use FB. I just don't see the point of posting X on FB, Y on insta and snapping Z. Or updating them all with the same thing that goes out to the same people. Apparently FB is now considered old school and not cool anymore :)

I seriously can't take people that always go "social media is the root of all evil". Or those couples that say they had to delete FB because it was causing damage to their relationship. Social media is not some separate universe. It's an extension of real life. If your partner is flirting on social media, you can bet he is flirting in real life. If he is hesitant about posting anything about you on his profile while proclaiming his undying love and dedication "in real life", something is off. Why bury your head in the sand?

There are many happily married people that are reasonably active on social media all the while showing full respect for their partner and not indulging in any shady behaviour.

• Like 4

I know plenty of people with no social media. Social media is a misnomer. It's a joke. It's fake. It's meaningless.

Yes, it's convenient. It can be fun. I enjoy using it to keep up with far away friends. It's an easy way to get a sneak peak into a new person's life but it's hardly essential.

Too many people put too much emphasis on it. I'd probably think it was refreshing.

• Like 8

I'm not involved in that stuff so, sure I would (date them) since I would never think about looking them up anyway, rather dating them to get to know them. I would expect/accept someone who was really into social media to be skeptical or concerned with me having such an opposite perspective on the media.

• Like 1
Let's say you didn't meet through friends or family, but they seem great but they don't have a facebook,linkedin,instagram or even a whitepages page.You cannot find one trace of this person online. Would you date them?

No. Someone who leaves no digital footprint of any kind is not making any mark on the world, and I’m not interested in someone like that.

• Like 2

Some jobs frown on social media use. If you work in national security or federal law enforcement your profiles are scrutinized by investigators, so some people (even younger people!) just don't bother.

Social media is what you make of it. If someone doesn't have an active presence, that's their preference. If they use it to post ten thousand pictures of their cat, that's just a personal choice. Why the need to judge?

• Like 1
No. Someone who leaves no digital footprint of any kind is not making any mark on the world, and I’m not interested in someone like that.

You can (but few do) leave a digital footprint without that footprint being on social media. FB, linkedin, instagram, and their ilk are just digital mosh pits providing easy identity theft opportunities for the folks who wish to use them that way. People can make their 'mark on the the world' by WRITING the applications and apps that are called social media as well as operating systems and infrastructure microcode and yet leave invisible digital footprints if they choose to do so. Identifying them is 'left as an exercise for the user'.

• Like 1

Social media is very shallow. Most people grow out of it. You're still very young and so I don't mean to offend you. I would not want a date to find out about me on social media nor judge me by my facebook friends list.

• Like 2
Ruby Slippers

It's a plus in my view. Most of the men I've had serious relationships with don't do social media at all, and are tech savvy so have a very low online profile to keep random people out of their business. To me this is very appealing.

• Like 3

Haha this made me laugh ! Yes real contribution to human kind having a face space profile and being glued to your phone. Yeah that’s a turn on

I don’t have a face base account I don’t have Instagram I don’t have a snap chatter whatever you call it or even a linked in and to be honest with you I’m glad I don’t when I go to work and I watch all these people glued on their phones watching other people post a picture of the food they’re going to eat or the movie they’re watching or some nonsense I take it vantage of it.

I work in the business where you have to be alert and focused so if you’re not alert and focused you drop the ball.

I’d rather go out there live life and enjoy the moment then sit there and take pictures to post up

So yes I would date someone who didn’t have a social media

• Like 6