Phone Ettiqutte...returning phone calls? Please help!!!

justagirl1121

What is your take on phone call ettiquette, esp in the age of cell phones when everyone has a phone attached to their hip, voicemail, and caller ID.

This guy I like, maybe he was working till like 10pm or so, so I can't fault him for not calling me back same night. When we were both let go from our jobs he called me last saturday to warn me. I called him back but he didn't answer. I left a msg and mentioned to call me back. He didn't. He called me on Friday to tell me he got a job, blah blah blah.....I called him monday night (last night) to inquire about his J.O.B. I said "will you call me back" i want to make plans for friday, tho i didnt say that in the voice mail. I called around 6:45pm. So I can understand him not calling me back last night, but he didn't call me today either. So what should I do? Forget him? Or call him? Or wait adn then give up, or wait until like Thur and try calling again? I dont know waht to do!

My friend i went to college with, she doesnt call back either or ever answer the phone, so i got two genders and two diff types of friends here like ignoring me.....

So what is it with phone calls like that. What do you do? Esp when there's a guy u like? Maybe he will call tomorrow, maybe he wont...do you guys do it on purpose so we wait by the phone in anticipation b/c you know it and it makes you feel good about yourself??

Any advice would be appreciated!!!! :(

I hate my phone unless I want to use it.

People get annoyed with me because I don't phone back until I feel like it and this offends them.

I'm not ignoring them for any other reason than I hate chatting on the phone.

However.... if I'm waiting to hear from a man I like, that's another story.... my ego definitely gets in the way!

• Author
justagirl1121

it's thur afternoon and still no reply. someone told me last night 'if it's inside a week its good, if outside a week its bad' and someone else told me guys dont like using the phone. i kinda see it as if i can use my phone and ppl call me they like me and like being my friend. if they always ignore me i feel like they dont like me. i tend to call ppl and then put it off for days, thinking oh i dont want to interrupt dinner etc then it gets to late....but with my cell i call ppl back more than i did.

anyway, should i call tonite and if i get the vmail be like 'hey, was just seeing if u were around, if you're not busy tomorrow, i know this is short notice but i'm going downtown with nikki and stuff, if you're interested, let me know and i'll tell u where we'll be....' that way he KNOWS what's up.

maybe he'll call today i dont know. what's the time frame on things like this? i mean, when we worked together he seemed like i was semi important to be around...was it all just fun and games and now he's moved on or what?

• 2 weeks later...

I am with prim&proper on this one, there is no stereotype for using/not using phone. No one can be so busy in this world so as not to return phone calls. If someone does not returns phone calls then it simply means that they don't care , if they think that it is important then one will surely return call.

I would take this as the guy does not thinking of giving that much importance to you as to return your phone calls. He does not seem to be into you.

I would never call someone again if my two calls are not returned.

• Author
justagirl1121

That's what i've come to think, apparently, i guess i just want it not to be true.

I did end up calling HIM that thur night and he answered and we talked for like half an hour and i wanted him to come out with us the following night but as he had just started his job and didnt have a paycheck for a while yet he said he'd think about it. i asked him to call me back tomorrow to let me know and he DID call me back then, he SAID he wants to hang out with us so keep him updated.....so that was good...if he means it....

people say things they dont mean all the time, so how should i take that?

but he hasnt called me sense and yesterday was a week. but i havent called him either so, i figure who knows. but i'm trying not to worry about it and i guess my infatuation is kind of fading at times, but i just can't seem to ever meet anyone and i really like him.

I think you call him once more, if you don't get him leave a message in his voice mail. If he returns the call then fine , if he doesn't then forget him.

Originally posted by greenhorn

I am with prim&proper on this one, there is no stereotype for using/not using phone. No one can be so busy in this world so as not to return phone calls. If someone does not returns phone calls then it simply means that they don't care , if they think that it is important then one will surely return call.

I would take this as the guy does not thinking of giving that much importance to you as to return your phone calls. He does not seem to be into you.

I would never call someone again if my two calls are not returned.

I wish you would have giving me that advice over a year ago. Then I would have not held out so long in a usless relationship!!! TAKE GREENHORNS ADVICE... SHE IS RIGHT!!!!!

• Author
justagirl1121

I think I will take greenhorn's advice. I seem to be the one who's alway's calling the other person at times.

I'm hoping to get this one job i have an interview for. it might end up being in the same shopping area as his (not on purpose) new job, so it'll give me a reason to call and say GUESS WHAT?! and go from there.

This forum is great btw.

whichwayisup
Originally posted by greenhorn

I think you call him once more, if you don't get him leave a message in his voice mail. If he returns the call then fine , if he doesn't then forget him.

Definately. But if you decide not to call him, time will tell if he's into you. Within a week, yup - Because one never really knows wtf is going on in his life, could be a valid excuse. 2 weeks, uhm well, that doesn't look too good, and hopefully by then he won't be in your head.

Trust me, don't waste your time on some guy that isn't into you. The more you pursue him, the more he'll head for the hills. Maybe completely backing off will make him notice. If he does call you, let him decide if you two are going out, that's the other thing. Don't appear too "anxious" and "ready" , meaning, don't offer up hey let's get together. Just be very casual...

Good luck!!