Working Out of Town

I'm making a big life change this coming spring and moving to a beautiful place in the mountains, something I've been dreaming and striving for for quite a while. In order to achieve my goals and live in this place I will have to work a fly in, fly out camp job which will probably have me working a 7 days on, 7 days off schedule.

I'm curious to hear if anyone has dated/had a relationship with a person with this kind of schedule, and if it's something they would outright avoid during the initial stages of dating. I know an away from home work schedule can be difficult on relationships, but hopefully it will only be a short term (2-3 years) thing for me.

I used to work of job like you're describing, only 2 weeks on, 2 off. Relationships went well at first, I had all hours of the day to meet women no matter what their schedule was. Became exclusive with one of them. Everything was seemingly well, until I came back home from a hitch and got the ghost treatment. I don't if it was due to my unconventional job, but I felt like it was.

• Like 1
  • Author
I used to work of job like you're describing, only 2 weeks on, 2 off. Relationships went well at first, I had all hours of the day to meet women no matter what their schedule was. Became exclusive with one of them. Everything was seemingly well, until I came back home from a hitch and got the ghost treatment. I don't if it was due to my unconventional job, but I felt like it was.

Sounds like it was more because she sucks. You don't ghost after becoming exclusive, that's a d*ck move.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
I'm making a big life change this coming spring and moving to a beautiful place in the mountains, something I've been dreaming and striving for for quite a while. In order to achieve my goals and live in this place I will have to work a fly in, fly out camp job which will probably have me working a 7 days on, 7 days off schedule.

I'm curious to hear if anyone has dated/had a relationship with a person with this kind of schedule, and if it's something they would outright avoid during the initial stages of dating. I know an away from home work schedule can be difficult on relationships, but hopefully it will only be a short term (2-3 years) thing for me.

You would be my dream boyfriend.

But I really love time alone :).

I think for the right person, this would not at all be a deal breaker.

• Like 2
  • Author
You would be my dream boyfriend.

But I really love time alone :).

I think for the right person, this would not at all be a deal breaker.

You'd find a dream guy in about two minutes if you moved to my part of the world.

• Like 2
Southwardbound

It's doable. I've been doing this now for just over two years LTA with MM, I fly in an stay with him at his away workplace residence, sometimes for the whole month, or a few weeks at a time. We don't always see each other every month. We text, email, and talk on the phone everyday, inbetween when we see each other. He flies home every weekend, on a Friday-returning on a Sunday night. Good communication is the key to every relationship, along with having your next date that you will see each other set up in advance to reduce any anxiety your other partner might feel from not seeing you during those inbetween times.

I go on the road for 2 week shifts occasionally and despite the fact I make the effort to be home on my one day off in the middle it's still excruciating not being together in person for that long. I hate it with every fiber of my being.

If you're looking for something more laid back, where you don't care if that person comes or goes too much that schedule might work but if you really love and care about them it's gonna be awful. Dunno how truckers and military folk deal with it.

• Like 1
  • Author
I go on the road for 2 week shifts occasionally and despite the fact I make the effort to be home on my one day off in the middle it's still excruciating not being together in person for that long. I hate it with every fiber of my being.

If you're looking for something more laid back, where you don't care if that person comes or goes too much that schedule might work but if you really love and care about them it's gonna be awful. Dunno how truckers and military folk deal with it.

2 weeks is a long time. I'm hoping I don't have to work that shift but given the situation in my industry I might have to settle for it. Ultimately when I move to where I'm moving to I'll be laying my roots and trying to find something serious, so the camp life will most likely have to be a short term plan.