Does Age Range really matter

Do you find when you date, or there is major age range between your partner and you. Does it really matter. Is there any real significant difference when dating.

For me. I find that the younger they are the less they are about their word. So I can't take anything they say, until we have spent a lot of time together to heart. The older or close to same age. The more they are cut and dry about things.

It feel like if I had to choose a 20 vs 40 yr old woman. The 40 yr old would win for me.

Never was interested in anyone significantly older, seeing as how i'm in my early 20's. Had always only been interested in guys the same age. Greater chance of finding someone with similar libido, mental age, humor, goals, interests, hobbies, etc..

• Like 1

When dating the most, in my mid-late 30's, I dated easily a decade down and up. Never really thought about age until joining this forum nearly a decade ago and seeing the topics on age difference.

One of my best extra-country younger dating experiences was with a young lady in her 20's from west Ukraine. She worked as a lawyer for the world health organization. Such was her quality that she and my fiance at the time hung out together when she later visited long after our dating period. I dated some other younger ladies but none that stand out in memory like she did. She would often make me local foods while we were dating, among them borscht, and brought me a hand-carved stirrer when she visited years later, something I still use at my new place.

I tend to focus on people and leave age to those who collect data and issue items where age is important. For example, I often miss out on old people discounts because I forget my age. It simply doesn't register. I recently related a story here about flirting with a lady who turned out to be in her late 60's. Didn't know, didn't ask, only found out in passing when she was talking about her 50 yo daughter. ;)

Yes, it matters. One of my gfs was seventeen years younger than I. It may work for a while, but sooner or later something will happen that makes you realize that you are in different stages of life. I don't think I would necessarily reject somebody on age alone, but it is a significant factor.

I never date men younger than me. Too immature. I also am VERY wary of men that have never been married or lived with someone/had LTRs. There are ALWAYS reasons.

It feel like if I had to choose a 20 vs 40 yr old woman. The 40 yr old would win for me.

So a woman is 20 or 40.

Twenty year difference between them, no problem.

No problem when the man and the woman are both 20.

Problem when there is a 20 year difference between the

man and the woman.

I think it is a case-by-case decision. In general, much younger/older people will either have reservations about the relationship, or won't be a good match for a variety of reasons. In general, I prefer(ed) to date within 10 years of my age, and my wife is 8 years younger, which isn't that much a difference.

There have been exceptions, and as I said, it's based on the particular circumstances and person. My long-term FWB is 27 years younger than me, for instance, and that works very well.

Michelle ma Belle

I'm 48 and have dated men from 22 to 50 with a variety of successes and failures. The sweet spot for me seems to be mid to late thirties; old enough to have collected enough life experiences, maturity and character yet young enough to still be vibrant and playful.

What I've found is that it's pointless to judge men purely on their age. I've met many men in their twenties and thirties who were beyond wise for their age and deep thinkers while men in their forties and fifties behaved more like spoiled little boys who couldn't string together a sentence to save their lives. So often there is no rhyme or reason.

I think what DOES matter is knowing what you want and need out of any relationship regardless of age and be on the same page at all times. That's when you run into problems, when you're not clear about what it is you want and what it is you're doing.

Otherwise, enjoy.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 2

My relationships have mostly bern with older men. My last ex was 22 years older than me. I dated one guy about my age.

He complained about me being immature. Hello! Im way younger than him. I have been in a lot if relationships, have never been married, etc. Our lives are very different. Its easier for me to meet older guys, but i dont know if i could be serious about an older guy again.

My motorcycle guy is,also older than me. I see hints of bitterness about his divorce. I cant relate to that.

Eta: Some people whove bern in a,lot of relationships have a tendency to make a lot of comparisons.

If you cared, youd do this Amanda

When i was with Ashley, she did this, and you dont

That can go on forever. Its a bad feeling to be the target of negative comparisons.

Edited by hotpotato

I’ve never been attracted to the personality of a typical young men. The mere thought of ‘playful youthfulness’ turns me off. I just love someone serious, NOT flirting or doing it very subtly, and giving overall mature vibe.

So I dated: 18 years older - he was waaaaaaay too immature. Annoyingly immature. This experience thought me that age and maturity are different things....

Then I dated my age. Super immature again but I discovered the naked truth.... After 30 physically people amortize SO fast.... Just looking at the skin texture of my younger and older boyfriend... difference was enormous.

So... age matters A LOT if it comes to attractiveness, if that’s what one is looking in a partner. After 30 is a downward spiral for both sexes.

For maturity: unfortunately age doesn’t matter that much. I highly doubt I can find a mature 25 yo, but unfortunately immature 50 yo’s are all around us...

If I can find a man looking like 25 yo and thinking/behaving like 75 yo, I’d be the luckiest woman alive.

• Like 1
Michelle ma Belle
I’ve never been attracted to the personality of a typical young men. The mere thought of ‘playful youthfulness’ turns me off. I just love someone serious, NOT flirting or doing it very subtly, and giving overall mature vibe.

So I dated: 18 years older - he was waaaaaaay too immature. Annoyingly immature. This experience thought me that age and maturity are different things....

Then I dated my age. Super immature again but I discovered the naked truth.... After 30 physically people amortize SO fast.... Just looking at the skin texture of my younger and older boyfriend... difference was enormous.

So... age matters A LOT if it comes to attractiveness, if that’s what one is looking in a partner. After 30 is a downward spiral for both sexes.

For maturity: unfortunately age doesn’t matter that much. I highly doubt I can find a mature 25 yo, but unfortunately immature 50 yo’s are all around us...

If I can find a man looking like 25 yo and thinking/behaving like 75 yo, I’d be the luckiest woman alive.

Age and maturity are different things...indeed.

• Like 1

Can't imagine dating someone significantly younger. Even men my age seem too immature but I don't typically date anyone over eight years older, because yes, age does matter.

Older women don't typically look for 20 year olds, as men do... Quite frankly it creeps me out a bit to be hit on by men in their twenties, which happens sometimes. They're babies!

You don't fully mature mentally and come into your own until you hit 40.

We have a 10 year difference. We are in our mid-30s and mid-40s, so it's not like a 19-year-old and a 29-year-old.

Honestly, we both usually completely forget about it unless the age difference is randomly illuminated in a random conversation. We were talking recently about Robin Williams and our favorite Robin Williams movies. He said Good Morning Vietnam, I said Hook and Mrs. Doubtfire - lol!

Of course, silly. No person should date or marry outside of race, ethnicity, religion or age (an hour difference, tops.)

Or sexual preference...distance, text/social media preference and cats/dogs bunny's or frogs....on and on. :p

Be yourself, OP...if you are being genuine and no person is harmed by your proclivities then date people with whom you are comfortable.

• Like 2
That sort of thing is beyond rude.

I think it can become a nasty habit when you have dated a lot of people, although most don't do it out loud lol

As a 31yo male:

For relationships my favourite range is from 25 to 30. If they are younger i feel they are still little girls. If they are older i suspect they are alone for a reason (mental problems, drugs, troublemaker, infidelity expert...). Since i want to have kids some day, i want her to be in fertile ages too.

For fun i dont mind, theres beauty at all ages, lets say i dont mind from 18 to 50