My Next Door Neighbor's Motorcycle

When I first moved into my apartment, the girl next door to me was living by herself. A few months ago her male friend moved in with her. This male friend has no "common sense" whatsoever. He has a motorcycle. About 2 months ago he came up with a "brilliant" idea. He started parking it on their patio. Not too long ago he came up with an even more "brilliant" idea. He decided to make the entryway into a garage by parking his motorcycle there outside their front door.

Anyway, I'm concerned for my safety, and if I had guests come over I'd be concerned for my guests' safety as well. The last thing I need is to find a motorcycle sitting in the middle of my apartment. I'm on the verge of saying something to management about it because acccording to the policies of the apartment complex that I'm staying at, he's in violation. I had a feeling he was in violation, so I dug up the "Resident Handbook and Community Policies" that's given to every resident that moves in to verify my suspicions.

Should I keep "mum" about this or should I mention it to management? I don't want to be liable for anything because I didn't say anything, when I knew I should have. I'm starting to think that this guy is not even on the lease. If something happens I guess the girl would be liable for letting him park the motorcycle where it shouldn't have been parked in the first place, if she's the only one on the lease.

You could mention it to management, but I would think if it were a real problem management probably would have already said something to him about it.

Jade

i don't get why you're so concerned about the safety of you and your guests...what are you afraid of?

is it really just that he's in a spot you'd like to park in, but can't?

why are you obsessing over this motorcycle and where it's parked?

maybe there's a legitimate reason in your post, but i must have missed it.

I think if the motorcycle is in some way blockin your entrance to your place you should say something to the girl first..be polite about it and if they don't take care of it then confront management, but only do this if the bike is blocking your home or doing something to you personally...I live in apt's also and I also ride and apts aren't the safest place to keep your bike so maybe he feels a sense of security by keepin it up there. There are several people in my complex that do this and I could care less...

I would say talk to her first if it's really hindering you in some way...and please explain the "safety" issue you speak of.

scarlyjones

Do you mean its IN the hallway in the building,...but still outside their door?

• Author
Originally posted by scarlyjones

Do you mean its IN the hallway in the building,...but still outside their door?

Yup...you guessed it. That's where he's parking it. Like I mentioned in my original post...he made it into a garage. Our hallway is more like a dead-end, since there aren't any apartments on the other side of us. Most of the buildings here have 3 floors with a hallway/breezeway between the front and back apartments. I live in an oddball building. The front has 2 floors, while the back has 3 floors. I live on the 1st floor on the back, which feels more like a basement apartment. Since we're located where we're located at facing the woods with a dead-end hallway, I guess he thinks he can get away with it...just as long management doesn't see the "crime" he's committing against his lease agreement, if he even is on the lease in the first place. If he isn't and something happens that girl and her parents are in deep s***. Both of them are unemployed college students. So, her parents have to be footing the bill for everything.

To SexKitten:

Their front door is right across from my front door, which is probably about 7 feet distance. So, when he comes and goes with that motorcycle, he practically has to pass by my front door because the stairwell is right above their door. Afterwards, he has to ride around the building and pass by my apartment from the front and the side. There's a hill that he has to go up when he's leaving and that he has to go down when he comes back. There are air condition units right outside my window. He could lose control of that motorcycle and end up crashing into those units and eventually end up crashing into my apartment.

I should be concerned for my guests' and my safety. Besides, I have friends with children. Not only that he is "violating" apartment policy according to the handbook that every resident is given when they move in. The hallway/breezeway is not to be used for storing personal property. In my definition that motorcycle is personal property being stored where it shouldn't be. Also, management has the right to impound the motorcycle without them being prosecuted or being liable for damages to it, if it is parked in a non-designated parking area.

Of course management has no clue about this because of where my apartment is located at. So, they don't see what's going on over at the building I'm in. My neighbors who live in the same building as me are "turning a blind eye" because if he loses control of that motorcycle he'll either end up crashing into his apartment or mine. I don't know what the legal ramifications would be on me just by knowing that he's been parking it there, and I chose to keep my mouth shut. I don't want to be liable for damages or injuries just because of my neighbor's "stupidity".

Anyway, thanks for the response, everyone. I suppose I'll do a poll at work and ask them what they would do. If my neice, who is very dear to my heart and whom I consider "my baby" and whom I used to watch over from time to time still lived here and not on the other side of the country, I would be very concerned for her safety and would have gone to management about this matter, when he started parking the motorcycle out on the patio.

In my original post I forgot to mentioned there were three young boys who were playing outside my apartment this past weekend. Seeing those boys made me realize why I was so concerned about safety...not just my own. There are children living in this building and my guests have children. Anyway, the side I'm on faces the woods, but there's this big stretch of lawn right in front our apartment. The kids who live in my building have an ideal place to play. I don't think I can forgive myself if any of those kids were to suffer an injury if this guy loses control of that motorcycle, while those kids are out playing on the lawn. Besides, he has no business riding that motorcycle on the lawn in the first place. The only one who has the authority to do that is the guy who cuts the lawn. I suppose that's where he came up with his "brilliant" idea.

I just don't understand my neighbors with children. You would think they would be concerned. I suppose they're waiting for a reason to take this guy to court.

scarlyjones

How very "white trash" of him. This guy sounds like the biggest redneck in the world. You really should ask him about it....even if you KNOW he will give you a hard time. That way, you can say you exhausted every attempt before reporting him. This is definitely a hazard. What would he say if he opened up his door and your mini vans tailpipe was staring him in the face? You cant park a motorcycle indoors. I cant believe Im actually in a situation where I would ever have to say that phrase............lmao...............

I'd report him to management--it's not a parking spot or a storage space. I hope he's not starting up his motorcycle out in the hallway, instead of pushing it outside.