Does profession/job affect attractiveness?

Hi everyone,

I was talking with a group of friends about this the other day a d wondered where everyone stands on how someone's job affects initial attraction. To myself personally it doesn't really matter as long as I get on with the person but there are obviously jobs that I think would sub-consciously make me more attracted to a girl.

Do you all share the same view?

Also what job would attract you even more to a particular person or turn you off from a particular person ?

JuneJulySeptember

Somewhat.

If a woman was a banker/trader/corporate lawyer, or anything with the word VP in it, I'd be inclined to run.

Prefer someone who is a social worker, or works in healthcare. Teacher is good too, but then I'd be jealous of them having the summer off.

That said, I would always give a person a chance. But it's unlikely I'd get along with a banker from Goldman ...

• Like 5
Somewhat.

If a woman was a banker/trader/corporate lawyer, or anything with the word VP in it, I'd be inclined to run.

Prefer someone who is a social worker, or works in healthcare. Teacher is good too, but then I'd be jealous of them having the summer off.

That said, I would always give a person a chance. But it's unlikely I'd get along with a banker from Goldman ...

LOL, while I'm not exactly one of these things, I am in corporate finance and this made me laugh. I promise we're not that scary.

For me - it's only important that someone has ambition, drive, that they're good at their job and it affords them financial stability. I don't think having a particular job matters that much.

• Like 1

Of course it matters to some people: why do think people date rock stars & some women dream of marrying doctors.

• Like 6
The Urbanyst

Is this a serious question? Picture three people with the exact same appearance, personality, age, etc. Only..

One is a Police Officer

One is a Stripper

One is a Flight Attendant

Do you look at all of them the same way? And the best part about this question is gender doesn't even matter lol.

Eternal Sunshine

It matters to women much more than to men.

I work with a lot of medical doctors and professors. None are single and in case they become single, there is a que of hot 25 year olds falling over themselves to date them. Doesn't matter if the guy is 50+ or what he looks like. It's funny to observe.

For me, I would prefer to date someone who is of a similar career level as me. I also really like science nerds :love:

• Like 5

I don't care what a man does for a living as long as:

Has a job.

He enjoys what he does.

He has a good relationship with colleagues and employers (if he doesn't then that's a signal to me to keep my eyes wide open about the guy).

He has busy times or at least understands the concept of and respects busy times that some people (like me) have.

He has a good work ethic. If he is at work and texting me pages of nonsense then it shows he doesn't take his work terribly seriously. Plus he also is showing me he doesn't take my work seriously either if he expects responses all day while I'm working.

So yeah, there's a lot more to consider than his job.

The only total no go point is if he works completely opposing shift patterns to me, that just isn't practical for actually getting together.

• Like 1

I retired at 46. I can provide for myself to travel the world, living modestly, enjoying food and drink and exploration till I am about 80 years old. I figure my savings and cash flow from entitlements will end @ there. Although I am not counting in social security, because who cares. I am also not factoring if I need any life saving medical expense to pay for, because I don't care. Right now I get to watch my dad die with Alzheimer's before I settle my mom out and leave Vegas. I don't care about living till 100. Or even 70.

We can have fun, there doesn't have to be a tomorrow.

edit: but you need to be able to provide for yourself to travel the world and live modestly enjoying food and drink.

Edited by Imported
  • Like 1

In my late 40s and have been doing well since I started working decades ago. Have been solidly financially responsible and work my butt off to make certain I provide for myself and my kids. Heck yah, profession is a very high consideration for me. If you're a woman in your 40s and 'self-employed' or 'working', or 'have a job'...I stay away. Especially if you have children and you put one of those things as your profession...no way. Always looking for a professional woman with a FT job and benefits.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks for all your replies guys, its great to see different opinions on the matter from people of different ages and genders.

It does definitely seem it matters more to females rather than males though as a general rule of thumb.

The reason why it came up was that in changing jobs in the new year, in which i will have to work shifts as opposed to Monday to Friday at the minute. I didn't know if that would make a difference but i believe that the job is more attractive than the one i have at the minute. I am going to become a firefighter, as opposed to working in engineering at the minute.

Do you think this would make a difference either way?

Eternal Sunshine
Thanks for all your replies guys, its great to see different opinions on the matter from people of different ages and genders.

It does definitely seem it matters more to females rather than males though as a general rule of thumb.

The reason why it came up was that in changing jobs in the new year, in which i will have to work shifts as opposed to Monday to Friday at the minute. I didn't know if that would make a difference but i believe that the job is more attractive than the one i have at the minute. I am going to become a firefighter, as opposed to working in engineering at the minute.

I would much prefer an engineer. Stable job, regular hours, means that the guy is at least somewhat intelligent.

Firefighter? Eh. I associate them with being players.

• Like 1

Firefighters do have a reputation as being sexy. Many women may like that. Personally I avoided all military & first responders because I don't have the ability to sit home & not worry every time my SO goes off to work in a dangerous job. Yes, my husband could get hit by a bus or have a heart attack but that is easier to put out of my mind.

It can be tough to date when working shift work. On some level you self select out of the 9-5 crowd & you end up spending time with people whose odd schedules match yours: other first responders; medical people, hospitality, factory etc.

• Like 1

My SO is in a profession that I suppose would be considered "conventionally attractive" to a lot of women. Many people don't realize the sacrifices that it entails to be in a LTR with a person in that profession, though. I have spent a few Christmases and New Years and birthdays and Valentines Days alone (not all in the same year, of course, there is a rotation). We move every year or two. I've been woken up countless nights by his phone ringing for an emergency.

I won't lie, there are certainly perks as well (for instance, I know that barring extremely unusual circumstances, he will never be laid off or unemployed, so we are guaranteed a considerable and steady income), but most people don't consider the negatives when they think about it.

Re: the shifts, you're probably in luck because while profession (in the sense of ambition/income) does tend to matter more to women, women also tend to be more forgiving of erratic shifts and a man who is "never at home", than vice versa. Of course, this is all a huge generalization, but men seem to be more negatively affected by a woman whose job requires the couple to make sacrifices rather than the other way around. Most of my female friends whose jobs require long hours or lots of time away from home are having trouble with LTRs, whereas the men seem to do fine.

That being said, it does take a special woman to be in a LTR with or marry a firefighter or any other profession (e.g. cop, military man, rescue workers) whose life is constantly at risk. By hitching up with a person in those professions, they must acknowledge that at any moment they might be without a husband, or their children will be without a father. Granted nobody's life is ever guaranteed, but some carry more risk than others.

On the other hand, if the reason you want to be a firefighter is because you genuinely feel a calling to be one (as opposed to doing it for the money or the acclaim), then it's also possible that this will actually be a good filter, as the women who do still end up with you are likely to be the ones who are more compatible with you.

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 1

It can be tough to date when working shift work. On some level you self select out of the 9-5 crowd & you end up spending time with people whose odd schedules match yours: other first responders; medical people, hospitality, factory etc.

Haha, I'm not sure this is a good idea. I know some couples where both people do shift work - apparently there are months where they almost never see each other despite living in the same house, due to completely opposite rosters. For instance, A would be working Mon Tue Wed Sat Sun 6am to 6pm, and B would be working Mon Thurs Fri Sat Sun 6pm to 6am, or so. :laugh:

At least if you are with a 9-5 person, you are usually still guaranteed a couple hours with each other per day most of the time.

It's one thing as a marriage where they both work shift work.

Dating is a problem. The 9-5 crowd doesn't always understand why the person can't go out on the traditional Friday or Saturday night date

• Like 1

I'm in a profession traditionally seen as being very attractive. I really haven't been pulling down the super models that I thought I would be when I first decided to go into the profession many years ago but I think it helped to get women on the hotter side when I was a bit younger. Women don't even ask about my profession as much as they did years ago and I don't see that twinkle in their eye as much as before when I talk about it either.

Now that I'm in my 40s, I really don't think it makes a huge difference. I think staying in shape and being fun to be around helps more than anything at this point. It seems as women get older, the gap between genders become more narrow, and women get more secure with themselves as they mature, the profession of the man becomes less significant compared to other things that a man has to offer.

• Like 4
WaitingForBardot

There was a study I saw presented on a show call The Chemistry of Attraction (or something similar) that concluded unequivocally that womens' perception of attractiveness was strongly influenced by things like profession, salary, etc, much more so than mens'.

I don't know the details of their methodology (I didn't read the paper(s)), so it could be a load of bollocks, but what was shown made that conclusion seem reasonable.

Somewhat.

Honestly, I'd be more inclined to date a woman that was a banker/trader/corporate lawyer or VP. I guess it depends if you like power and independence in a woman or nurturing, I guess?

Cookiesandough

On a serious note, I think I prefer men in 'nurturing' careers too. I think it's because I like a bit sensitive and laid back and I don't get that vibe from business men/law enforcement

Honestly, I'd be more inclined to date a woman that was a banker/trader/corporate lawyer or VP. I guess it depends if you like power and independence in a woman or nurturing, I guess?

It's probably a personality-type thing. AFAIK bankers, stock traders, corporate lawyers etc often tend to be ESTJ types, which isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea. As a woman I'm not theoretically against those professions, but I've never found myself attracted to that personality type in a man either (especially the ES part).

• Like 2

I don't think it should be a big deal though if I were a woman I would wonder why you went from a potentially high income potential to wanting to be a firefighter. As I mentioned earlier, profession does matter to me, but fitness edges out, so would likely be more interested in the firefighter initially.

Good luck. Hopefully the shift work pans out so that you have adequate time to date properly.