Unattractive quality in a man

I already know being handy is a good quality in a man but what I want to know is how UNATTRACTIVE is it when a man is about as handy as a toddler? Lol

I can fix some things and can do stuff like install flooring and walls and simple stuff but I know absolutely nothing about cars and can't do anything too complicated and while I do try to learn this stuff I just am not very good at it and I worry that it might be a huge deal with most women.

Men being handy seems less a given with each passing generation to the point where I think that for a lot of guys in their thirties or younger, being handy is a nice, unexpected perk, but hardly a total dealbreaker.

• Like 4
RecentChange

Eh, a lot of guys these days do not know a crankshaft from a manifold.

I don't know that many women expect men to be able to actually repair cars any more.

Just be a problem solver. If you can't do it yourself, utilize tools to get it done (ie have road side assistance, be able to take the car to the shop and not get took etc)

• Like 2
blockrockinbeat74

If you're prepared to do your fair share of all house chores and childcare, being handy will become secondary.

• Like 3

And...don't move to Montana. Most women here can rebuild motors and such so...

Roadside assistance? Is that when uncle Joe finally gets to you in BFE and winches the Elk out of your radiator?

• Like 1

Yes for some women like me it's a must. It's not about being handy but motivated enough to learn and get better at it, like my husband.

As for car stuff, that is an expectation of mine. I only dated car guys because I'm a car chic. I scored big when I met my husband :)

My dad was very handy, so I feel with growing up with a father that was handy, you kinda expect it when looking for a spouse.

The most unattractive quality in a man is not taking responsibility for himself and his past.

Handyman-ness or lack of it is a minimal thing as long as he takes equal share of household chores.

• Like 2
Hopeful30

Be careful with saying 'most women'. The only truth about 'most women' is that we have female sex organs. Everything else can vary.

As for the handy part, well it's not UNattractive if a man can't fix stuff, but again depends on the women.

My dad SUCKS at handy stuff. One time he hammered in a nail to put up a clothes hanger in the closet, and he hit a pipe and flooded the second floor. Oops.

BUT, he's an incredible business man and father. We are always clothed, always have food on the table, and when we were new to Canada (we is immigrants ha!) he literally went into rich neighbourhoods, looked at the furniture people were throwing out, fixed it up best he could, and voila! We had a table to eat at.

So you can be terrible at handy work, but you can also show your 'manhood' in other ways. I don't think it's unattractive no, but as long as things get fixed thats all that matters. In my father's case, he just calls the professionals now :laugh:

I worry that it might be a huge deal with most women.

For independent women, it won't be. If we can't 'fix what's broken' our own self, we will hire somebody who has made that his/her area of skill and expertise -

- it doesn't matter if it's accounting or mechanics.

• Author

Well this all very encouraging for a change! Lol

It answers my question about whether I should wear a tool belt while out cruising for chicks lol

Yep! Like I said above. Develop what you've got...'max out' your personal potential...that's really the very best you can do, and all you really need to do.

The people who like it will love it, and the people who don't put much stock or value in it won't ever. That's fair enough, don't you think?

• Like 1

It answers my question about whether I should wear a tool belt while out cruising for chicks lol

Do it man and post pics! I will if you will, I swear!

• Like 1
d0nnivain

My husband is not handy. I am a bad cook. By your logic nobody should like either of us. Psshhhh.

You can hire people to perform tasks around your house. You can't hire people to be a steadfast companion, to laugh with you, to cry with you, to love you. (well you can I supposes but you get my point)

• Like 2
Think Johnny Depp can rebuild an engine? Think it matters?

I would not date Mr. Depp for that very reason...

• Like 2

You sound plenty handy to me. Not everyone can keep up with the car stuff these days what with hybrids and etc. But it's great you can do some things around the house. I think you'll be above average in that regard. How you can compensate on the car thing is by checking the tires and oil for her once in awhile or being the one to take the car to the mechanic so she doesn't get taken advantage of.

• Like 1
  • Author
Think Johnny Depp can rebuild an engine? Think it matters?

Well.... I don't look like Johnny Depp lol

• Like 1
bluefeather
Well.... I don't look like Johnny Depp lol

Haha. Well the point I was trying to make was that everyone has different skills, abilities, and talents. I think if you pursue your goals in life to becoming great at whatever you can and whatever you enjoy, I don't think it would be that much of a problem.

• Like 2
todreaminblue

ifa guy can stand on a chair and put in a light bulb or unplug a sink now and again......would be ...handy....i dont think many women would require to have a fully trained mechanic......if i want a mechanic...ill do a course.....be the mechanic myself i put together a pasta maker.....a car should be a breeze....

i do like a guy who can drive stick..its mianly because i like to watch effortless gear changes...yeah im weird....im actually imagining those hands on me...shhhhh...my secret.......:0).....my ex only drives auto.....was with him fifteen years.....and he never knew ....or did it really make a difference he never drove stick...h eknew hwo to put a bed together which we did together.... with just one screw remianing..hell knows where that screw went.........

he knew hwo to change lightbubs and he was a hand in bed he knew where to put hsi hands......

he is a horse just like me..strong and ready to work when needed.he knew how to move a fridge.....and when he fixed things he would teach me....and because of that i can fix things myself....i feel most women dont expect a guy to be able to fix everything....problem solve yes ...listen yes....be there yes.....mechanic...meh...i still hoever get vertigo changing lightbulbs...and i dont like it....so men change my bulbs...deb

• Like 2

Both my SO and I can do the basics of maintenance on cars and homes - checking and changing tires, flooring, general plumbing - but I wouldn't expect someone to have a greater skillset simply based on gender. I do expect a partner to pull their own weight when it comes to daily chores around the house.

• Like 1
Women like capable, self assured men. This doesn't mean you have to be good at everything, but you definitely don't want to be helpless. If you can handle business around the house, do minor repairs, and cook up a decent meal, you will have an advantage over others.

I'm not sure about having an "advantage" over anyone but, the fact that I can cook has gotten more remarks than changing the oil in her truck ever has.

Take a cooking class and intern at a jiffy lube and you should be good to go, OP.

• Like 3
todreaminblue
I'm not sure about having an "advantage" over anyone but, the fact that I can cook has gotten more remarks than changing the oil in her truck ever has.

Take a cooking class and intern at a jiffy lube and you should be good to go, OP.

theres soemthign really comforting in a man who can cook....means he probably had a good mum...or nanna who really loved him to teach him the beauty in food....or...the opposite who grew up hard and learned how to fend for himself..both are beautiful...and a guy who would take a cookign class and not just expect a woman to do all the cooking or actively want to cook for his woman and treat her.......now theres a man.......deb

• Like 3