This is an honest question for the single women.

What level of income do you like a man to have? I guess what I really want to know is if there's a salary range you consider acceptable? Like, what is an income that you would say is the bare minimum of acceptable. I ask because I changed careers two years ago (I'm in my early 30s) and I am just starting to get somewhere in my new career but I'm not doing very well financially. I mean I'm doing ok but not what I would call good..not yet anyway. I was wondering what income level/ career position I need to be at before I consider seriously approaching women again?

The answer from looking around is evidently zero for a lot of women. I can't count the number of women I see dating unemployed musicians and sometimes just outright bums.

• Like 7
Cookiesandough

It's more that he can make it on his own or is at least trying to do something with his life...has ambition

• Like 5
Dtrain2EtOWN

What level of income do you like a man to have? I guess what I really want to know is if there's a salary range you consider acceptable? Like, what is an income that you would say is the bare minimum of acceptable. I ask because I changed careers two years ago (I'm in my early 30s) and I am just starting to get somewhere in my new career but I'm not doing very well financially. I mean I'm doing ok but not what I would call good..not yet anyway. I was wondering what income level/ career position I need to be at before I consider seriously approaching women again?

I just want to be in awe of him and feel that we are a family. Hot sex and laughter, lots and lots of it. I picked a profession with a 90 degree earning curve. When I graduated at 25 it was actually like being a lottery winner. I learned quickly there really wasn't much out there worth buying. I like small and cozy ideally positioned cottages but those are not attainable until a 7 or 8 leads your triple digits. Volkswagens. I like Porsche but they aren't worth the price they command. I don't pay for labels, I pay for quality and if called for discernible workmanship.

My profession is saturated now. I have no transferable skills. Nothing has changed in what I want from a man. I am embarrassed by my circumstances and saddened that I can't spoil him the way I want. TBH I can't recall meeting a man in the last decade that was where he wanted to be financially. Go for it. There are cute girls who just want to have a little family.

Shining One

Women aren't a hive mind. Some will want you to make enough to support them fully. Some will want you to match their income at a minimum. Some won't care at all. I can't speculate on percentages.

• Like 6
salparadise
Women aren't a hive mind. Some will want you to make enough to support them fully. Some will want you to match their income at a minimum. Some won't care at all. I can't speculate on percentages.

I will speculate in a very general way. Most (more than half) desire a lifestyle upgrade. It's relative to her income level. Women who earn a high salary tend to want a man who earns about as much or more (combined income would double). Women who struggle financially often want a man to alleviate the burden and make them feel secure. Attractive, self-assured women tend to have higher expectations with regard to income. Women who are insecure about their marketability may accept a man with a lower income, as will a minority of progressive thinking women who are high earners. Women who say it doesn't matter at all (and mean it) are a very small minority.

• Like 1

Approach anytime you like , you'd be amazed how many women run of with guys that are flat broke.

Besides , wth is it business of hers anyway until you meet the one you wanna marry.

• Like 1

As said before, it really depends on the person.

For me, I'd want someone who can support themselves, as in don't need to be living with their parents with a little disposable income to be able to go out for the day or go for a meal every now and then.

I've always earned more than the guys I've been dating (and I don't earn that much) and it's usually been more of a problem for them than for me. I own my own house, go on holidays and have savings. I am comfortable (but not rich by any stretch) and very lucky. I find this intimidates more than a few guys.

In an ideal world, I would like someone who earns, who can support a family. I would like to take a career break to raise children. However, this is not a requirement nor a deal breaker. I would date (and marry if it came to it) someone who could not provide this. It is more important that I find someone who I love, who loves me and will support me in ways beyond the financial. I would not date someone who is reckless with money and always broke because they've spent it on nights out with the lads and having to borrow from me. Been there, done that. No thanks.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

this is a really personal choice...personally i will go as far as supporting a guy i see ambition in.....have supported a few.....helped them find work....i am pro active...but if a guy doesnt want to work.....he wont want to be with me...because my end goal is to work side by side with my man......i want a farm.....i dream of it.....and the guy will have to be willing to work it with me.....share my dream....its not about money...its about mutual satisfaction ..we will be provided for because my farm will be a permaculture farm....sustainable for not only my family but more families....because it will be sustainable in the long run.....doesnt mean i would ever want a guy who wouldnt work at it with me.....because my dream is going to be hard work......im going to have to be at peak fitness and so will he...

that satisfaction at the end of the day will be seeing what we create together....as a family unit..a simple life..so my guy doesnt have to earn loads of money...just be willing to work .....every woman is different on what they really need from men.......deb

I personally don't have a minimum income preference for a man jus as long has he is self supporting. My ex never did contribute financially or hold down a regular job so I am definitely not supporting another man.

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine

I would want someone that matches my income or close to it. Ideally I want someone that earns more. I really don't want a lifestyle downgrade just because I am in a relationship and he can't afford the things that I can. I would much rather be single.

• Like 1

On paper, it doesn't matter at all to anyone.

Just know that money issue is next to infidelity in divorce cases.

• Like 2

Both of us have to be financially independent. I think if one is making significantly less than the other to the extent that the lifestyle of the one making more becomes restricted (because the other is not able to afford certain things), then there may be issues.

But who knows, if there is a struggling artist whom I think is very talented, then getting exposed to his world may be enough to fulfill my intellectual curiosity ;-)

I wouldnt have a set number in mind, but I would want him to be independent enough to be able to pay his bills and not be relying on someone else for money. Living at home? Meh...lots of reasons why people do that. Financially, just able to pay his bills comfortably without living paycheck to paycheck.

It also depends on the financial situation of the woman.

If you are with someone very financially well-off, then she won't have problem treating you to stuff and your income is a non-issue.

If you are with someone who is not even financially independent and who wants to rely on her man, would you be okay supporting her — at least partially?

Away from these two extreme cases, I doesn't see any issues if the woman is financially independent and is not making significantly more or significantly than you.

I should add that I suspect some financially independent women still prefer their man to make more not because they want him to provide a better lifestyle per se. But most women want to feel protected in a relationship; so knowing that their man can provide for them temporarily in case of a financial pitfall makes them feel safe at the subconscious level.

I made 7 times what my ex fiancée made. I'm naturally a provider so this did not bother me. I did however have to reign in my lifestyle a bit since I'd be having to pay for two (or more if we took her kids) if we went on holiday. She had enough to meet her basic needs, but that was about it.

With my current gf, I make more but not significantly more. My gf has said a few things about money over the past 13 months that might provide insight into the thinking of at least some women.

1. She really likes the idea of having an equal partner for a change. She's used to making a lot more than the man in her relationships.

2. She wants to make more than I do (competitiveness).

3. She doesn't want to depend on me for money because she has expensive tastes, likes to get waxings, etc. She wouldn't feel right about spending MY money on HER luxuries.

After the age of 25 money will matter to some degree, depending on the woman's preferences and financial circumstances. Also the cultural background matters a lot, meaning that marrying for love as a concept is not universally accepted, quite the opposite actually.

I also found out that finances matter even if the woman is affluent herself, meaning that she herself is looking for somebody who is not with her for the money.

I have witnessed four marriages in the last year where his finances played a major role in attracting the woman. That being said, I really don't envy those guys.

But there are the very mundane aspects that are inherently valid no matter how much she loves you: Who wants to work harder to support a spouse?

• Like 1

I was tempted not to say anything at first, but here it goes.

A man is supposed to provide for his woman and family. Women now make a grip of money. So with that said a man should be making six figures or more to support both him and his woman and their family.

Women have been programmed to marry up, not down. A woman can do bad all by herself, so why get with someone on the same income level as she? It doesn't make sense.

I'll play with a broke man, but never procreate with one.

• Like 1
OatsAndHall

This is something that seems to matter to some women via OLD but I have rarely run into problems with in RL. I am in a professional position, I have a Master's degree but I am lucky to make $40k per year as I am a teacher. Some women will use it as a filter via OLD (two have told me I don't make enough money..) but I have never had a woman bring it up on a date from RL.

I will admit, one of the reasons why I stopped using Match was because of the "income preferences". I ran across many profiles where women were looking for someone with a salary of $50k per year or more. That isn't realistic in a state where the median income is less than $35k per year. Many of them had professional positions where I imagine they made decent money but they certainly weren't pulling down $50k+ per year.

A man is supposed to provide for his woman and family. Women now make a grip of money. So with that said a man should be making six figures or more to support both him and his woman and their family.

I can tell you how liberating it is when as a man you free yourself from that idea. The women I've been with always made very decent money. It was a partnership, not one side providing for the other regardless of whether you make six figures or not. Not only is it liberating, it also allows you to aim higher in your career, because one side can temporarily cover the other.

• Like 4
Life lessons

I don't think that's something that really plays as a main factor, to most women!

Income isn't something that's discussed immediately while dating. I think as long as the male has income and the female is comfortable on the dates...as to what the man can afford, then income isn't an immediate factor! The female of course wants to see that the male at least has enough income and can kind of gage that by the dates, type of employement, etc.

As far as stability, I guess once the realationship progresses, I would say a median income of $80k+ yearly would be "comfortable"...but then again, it can depend entirely on the state one resides in. Cost of living varies significantly!

GorillaTheater

It states on my profile here that "I feed the equivalent of a small third world country". That's true to a point; my wife is a SAHM and we have 8 kids (4 adults now) and a veritable crapload of animals. It's all been on me to provide for everyone for decades. Now that's okay to a point, like Jj66 I'm geared to be a provider and I've been fortunate in my career, but there's a cost to be paid, too. Like sweating over whether anything happened to my capacity to earn money, because the whole financial shebang is riding on me.

If God forbid something happens to my marriage, I don't think I could bring myself to sign up for that again.

They need to make enough money to support themselves comfortably. What's more important is their financial acuity. Some people can do a lot with a little . . .

Financial compatibility is more important than income level. If you are looking to have a long-term, committed relationship, both parties need to have, at least, a similar level of financial integrity, goals and sensibilities.

• Like 1

I prefer my men to make more than I do. In other words, at least similar to mine if not more. I've dated men with lower incomes and it's always a bummer when I can afford going on vacation or doing certain things, only to find myself disappointed that I either have to do them alone or stay with my man because he can't afford them.

It also depends on where you live. 30,000 Euros in one city and you could live like a king, but in another city you would be filthy poor, so I can't give an exact number.

I guess enough to eat what you want, travel at least twice a year and live in a decent place that isn't underground or have any infestations.

If he changes careers though that's different. It's very bold and of course you will start off a little worse than where you were before. I wouldn't judge a man if he just switched careers. Actually I would be turned on because it means he has ambitions and goals, and he trusts himself and his abilities enough to know that he can make it regardless what he chooses to do. That's the quality that would matter to me more than what he makes during the time of career change.

What's more important is their financial acuity. Some people can do a lot with a little . . .

THIS!! So much this!!

I would like to officially change my answer to the above. It doesn't matter how much he makes, because if he is SMART with his money, how he spends it, and how he invests it, then financially stability is always a guarantee, whether he makes 500 a month or 5,000. THATS what's more important.

Some men can make 10 grand a month and still somehow don't have enough money to pay rent or buy socks. Oh yes, I've met this kind.