Pet names, do you like them or not?

I have to say at a certain age (me being 38) there are some pet names that are not acceptable, boo and cute, being some of them. When a man nearing his 40s/50s calls you boo, it is a joke to me, am I wrong?

• Like 1

I don't like Boo, or Bae.. they sound immature to me...

However, I do love to be called "babygirl" by my man (when I have one) or "Beautiful" or "Baby".

• Like 1
  • Author

Yes. I hate Boo or BAE, but I do like babe, baby, sweetness. Boo or Bae to mee sound immature, like high school pet names

I'm 21 and absolutely despise the word 'bae'. I just find it so childish. I call my boyfriend cute, baby, baby and that's it. I wouldn't like it if he called me boo or bae. We're not teenagers! As people get older, pet names should he like babe, honey, beautiful, handsome etc.

• Like 1

Have you ever seen the movie Finding Nemo?

The part where Dory finds a baby jellyfish, and she says to it, "I shall call you squishy and you shall be mine, squishy squishy." and then it zaps her....

I call my kids "Squishy" because of this. It's my cute little pet name for them. I would never call a man this...

Or would I?? hmmmm.....

• Like 4
Have you ever seen the movie Finding Nemo?

The part where Dory finds a baby jellyfish, and she says to it, "I shall call you squishy and you shall be mine, squishy squishy." and then it zaps her....

I call my kids "Squishy" because of this. It's my cute little pet name for them. I would never call a man this...

Or would I?? hmmmm.....

I have no comment on pet names but this post made me laugh.

• Like 4
GorillaTheater
Pet names are cute within reason.

They are, but it makes me a little uncomfortable when SoulCat refers to me as "Candypants". :(

• Like 6

DH & I have unique pet names for each other. We don't use them in front of others. I like having the shared secret.

Common pet names -- boo, honey, even candypants (sorry GorillaTheater & SoulCat)-- kind of bug me but what I don't know about in other people's relationships doesn't bother me.

• Like 3

I knew a woman who called me HAB, short for Heartless Arrogant Bastard. She actually meant it as a term of endearment. I didn't mind.

• Like 3
Pet names, do you like them or not?

I have to say at a certain age (me being 38) there are some pet names that are not acceptable, boo and cute, being some of them. When a man nearing his 40s/50s calls you boo, it is a joke to me, am I wrong?

IDK. Me and my husband are in our 40's and we always use pet names. When I call him by his first name it's usually because we're fighting.

• Like 3
DH & I have unique pet names for each other. We don't use them in front of others. I like having the shared secret.

Common pet names -- boo, honey, even candypants (sorry GorillaTheater & SoulCat)-- kind of bug me but what I don't know about in other people's relationships doesn't bother me.

Canydypants is common? I'd never heard it until GT mentioned it.

• Like 1
Mrs. John Adams

My husband calls me babe...and I love it.

His dad used to call his mom babe....so everytime he calls me babe..I think of his parents and know that he must love me like his dad loved his mom:)

• Like 2

My old flame called me "Slick" for years. I wasn't even sure he remembered my real name. But I didn't care what he called me as long as he called me.

• Like 3
They are, but it makes me a little uncomfortable when SoulCat refers to me as "Candypants". :(

I didn't know she was your wife!! Cool!

• Like 1

My ex wife called me HH. (Handsome Husband)

I called my first girlfriend Liebschen (it was appropriate because of her ethnicity) but I generally don't use pet names.

I will use terms of endearment (baby, sweetie, etc.) from time to time but not all the time the way some people do. I don't really consider those pet names.

I tend to use diminutive names with my SO to make conversation less formal. I don't do that with my current gf very much since I don't like the diminutive as much as the name itself.

• Like 1
todreaminblue
One of my boyfriends and I called each other Igor and Babushka and Dahlink.

now that is cute...deb

• Like 2
todreaminblue

i usually find a derivative of my guys first name or something about them..mostly i just use their name...becuase i will love that name.....wont ever have enough time here on earth to say it enough......normally the term of endearment i end up with is debs.....or deb or baby......oen thing i find with generic names like baby or honey ...is that you dont have to remember the persons name..especially during sex.......and you can say it to anyone.....hey darl hey honey hey baby......but when a guy is looking at me and he says debs..or we are in bed together and making love and he sighs debs.....he is talking to just me thinking about just me....deb debbie deborah....debs...smilin..so i dont mind my own name...its me....and when its me sighing...he will hear his name....no honey or darl or baby...just his......deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 1
I don't like Boo, or Bae.. they sound immature to me...

Bae is a term of endearment? :confused: it means "bye" in Icelandic.

And Boo is a dog's name.

• Like 1